Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 19:18   #1

Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'
Want to add generator, suggestions please

My understanding the solar panels with take care of most of our needs and wind generator will be a big help, but for AC & some others stuff... Generator is needed. It has AC / heater unit in each cabin x 4. Might want to run a small dive compressor..
Yes, want to do it with diesel fuel. Please help
want to try to do it right the 1st time.
John413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:30   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Want to add generator, suggestions please

You need a full assessment of the boat and current loads and future loads to decide on the size. You can put a nine kw Northern Lights in the port engine room on the shelve inboard of the engine. It works better if you extend the shelve out some. It might be possible to get by with a six kw unit. Plan on a sound shield and I would add sound insulation on the wall between the generator and the cabin. Also a water separator exhaust will bring the decibel level down even lower. Vetus makes a nice unit that discharges the water below the water level.

You actually can heat and cool a Bahia with three units. One forward one aft and one in the saloon. There is room to run the duct work from side to side. There is also an argument to be made for small units in each room with their own thermostats and one large unit in the saloon.

You need to look at the current electrical panels and their capacity. A lot of these boats left France with little or no 110volt electrical service and the commissioning was done by the dealers here. Transfer switches, panel capacity, shore cord size etc should be assessed and planed as part of any upgrade. Assuming you don't have A/C on the boat now, I would plan on a new panel with transfer switch built in, upgrade to a fifty amp single 220Volt shore cord and generator all at the same time. Asses needs for additional outlets and any other upgrades in the future like water maker, dive compressor, etc.
Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44   #3

Jay,
Thanks so much for the info and the time to give such a great reply! Hope to take delivery next weekend and will get into the real deal.
Thanks again!
Old 11-06-2013, 03:13   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

We've got a Northern Lights 6kW genset - very nice piece of equipment.

Our cooling system was 2 units with split ducting between the two aft cabins and an adjustable diverter box which supplies the salon and (optionally) the front port cabin. Hong Kong has weather like Florida and we found the 2 units OK for our boat though without a sun awning they're working hard at mid-day. I ultimately removed one AC unit and now we just cool the salon and the air kind of spills into the hulls to keep things cool for sleeping. With some decent fans this works very well.

As Jay suggests, the AC's were usually fitted by the dealers. So, you might be able to find out who's done this work in the past from the dealer.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:22   #5

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Whichever generator you decide to purchase, factor in an additional 25% output power than what you've calculated. Boats contain a lot of "toys" and they are power hungry! Always build an additional power consumption factor for future expansion. As far as having a SCUBA diving compressor on board, calculate if it is cost effective to just have tanks filled up near your diving sites from nearby dive shops than having a compressor; I'd go that route, with 2 tanks per diver. <EE & PADI DM>

Mauritz
Old 11-06-2013, 16:19   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1254305

Northern Lights 6kW for sale - he's asking $5995. for an engine with 176 hours on it.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 17:57   #7

Will keep your generator in mind. Will be low on funds after all is said and done with buying the boat.... And need to see the value we put on the list of things we are thinking of .. Thanks everyone for ideas and suggestion! John413
Old 06-05-2014, 18:33   #8

On the hunt for northern lights 6kw generator: new or newer
Maybe even the next size up!
Living in Naples FL
Old 07-05-2014, 04:26   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

We have 5 separate a/c units, water heater, chest freezer, microwave and of course the battery charger running off the generator/shore power AC. We chose to go with a 9kw Northern Lights. Yep, very expensive, but we can run anything we want and it easily supports a dive compressor.

We spend a fair amount of time on hook or ball. We thought it might be overkill and it sometimes is, but when you want/need the power you're very happy you have it.

Just our $.02.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:55   #10

Did you install generator on the port side next to the batteries? That's the place I was thinking. Do you have a company you suggest buying from? I have a honda EU2000 stored in starboard engine room. The fuel line is on that side on our boat. Someone had a generator in there at one time is my guess.

Having new electrical panel installed behind the helm.
Having a second 16,5 mermaid in stalled in aft starboard this time. Other one is aft port.

Dive compressor
Were did it go and witch compressed did you go with?
How did you store your tanks? How many? Do you have pix you would share?!
Would love to keep rigs together and have a whip to fill with.

Sounds like your dialed in nicely!!!
Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:16   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

John,

A few things I was thinking when I made my choice.

First, the NL is a fantastic unit, I know of several of them and they are bulletproof.

When I was shopping, I was told a blower was needed in the space to get rid of the heat produced by the alternator. I was dead set against installing a blower, hence I continued looking.

I ended up with a Mase IS7.6 (current model is 8.1). Mine is 10 years old with ~700 hours on it (yeah, lightly used). Mase uses an intercooler, a small air/water exchanger (radiator) between the raw water input and raw water pump. They circulate the air inside the case thru this heat exchanger. It keeps the air inside cool and negates any heat escaping from the unit, hence no blower required. Other positives:

1. Mase uses of-the-shelf Yanmar engines, parts available thru normal Yanmar distribution. Same oil filter/raw water impeller as my drive engines.

2. I found Mase to be lighter weight than NL, the IS8.1 is listed as 432lbs (about the same as the NL 6kw).

3. Capacitor controlled voltage regulation. Some consider this not as good as it delivers 10% voltage swing vs. 5% on more exotic systems. IMO, I'll take the voltage swing as replacing the exotic voltage regulation can cost upwards of $900. The (2) capacitors are <$10 each. Easy to carry spares.

4. Mase North America support in Ft. Lauderdale is excellent.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:29   #12

Nice to meet n speak with those who replied, new and old. Looking forward to my communications.
Lots of great info!

Dot Dune, respect your input and maybe we should be doing beers / cocktails and sharing ideas and adventures again. Good to hear from you again..

Thanks all n keep the info coming
John413
Old 07-05-2014, 11:07   #13

We have a Kohler 6 KW and we pull 3 A/C's with it (1 x 16KW -saloon and 2 front bedrooms; and 2 x 9 kw for the rear bedrooms + help saloon ), plus recharge batteries, etc etc..

We are extremely happy with it.

Yes, it was installed on the port side where everyone has it.

If you need pictures or any other info else please let us know.

Thx again,

Ed
edowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:18   #14

Pix are ALL WAYS GOOD
PIX say a 1,000 words
Thanks!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:53   #15

John143..pls send me your email and I will send you some pics...

Thx

Ed
edowen is offline   Reply With Quote