Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2018, 18:31   #16

Boat: Catalina 22 Capri
Re: Volvo Penta D1-30 & D2-40 Engine Recall

Unfortunately, I bet we will see a lot more of this in the future. Others are marinizing engines that the manufacturer can't meet emissions standards at the higher RPM levels but the marinizers claim they can. I don't believe it. Kubota reduces output by lowering the max RPM's and creating higher usable torque at lower RPM's. The EPA standards a less stringent at less than 19kw output and that's why they operate just under that. A fixed timing engine just can't meet the EPA standards over a wider RPM range.

kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 13:50   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

Thought I'd update with what I found out. The warranty registration address for our two engines was not in the US (the PO was European) and, since they were out of warranty I never prioritized updating that information. When checked on the website and by the dealer the engines showed no recall. I had the dealer update the warranty address to our US address in California. About 24 hours after he did that both engines showed up as being recalled, both on the website and at the dealer. The dealer contacted me with that information and I now also have the letter from Volvo. So, short version, the engines will not show up as being recalled unless the address for the warranty within Volvo's system is in the US.

We're halfway around the world at the moment (NZ) so I've been trying to work out with Volvo what we can do. In the end, this was their response:

Quote:
I met with our warranty department and they already have an established protocol to ensure you are taken care of. With all of the information you provided in your email we were able to pull your engines up in our system and have you flagged for your new engines. Our warranty department will be ready to order your new engines in the beginning of 2019. We request that you work with a US Volvo Penta Dealer. You will need to contact XXXXX (if that is your chosen authorized Volvo Penta Dealer) approximately 2 to 3 months before you are ready for installation. They will place the order for the engines via their Volvo Penta software. And please make sure you have a scheduled appointment to have the work completed. Please keep in mind the campaign ends July 1, 2019. If your dates should change and you will be available for the engine swap out before beginning of 2019 please coordinate with a US dealer, allowing 2 to 3 months lead time to order and schedule an appointment. Again, please note the ending of this campaign of July 1, 2019.
Basically they've told me we can only get the engines replaced in the US despite their worldwide service guarantee. Our current cruising plans put us back in the US in spring 2019, so we're hoping we can get it all coordinated to happen then. I guess it won't be terrible to have almost completed a circumnavigation and be gifted two new engines

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2018, 16:57   #18

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Thought I'd update with what I found out. The warranty registration address for our two engines was not in the US (the PO was European) and, since they were out of warranty I never prioritized updating that information. When checked on the website and by the dealer the engines showed no recall. I had the dealer update the warranty address to our US address in California. About 24 hours after he did that both engines showed up as being recalled, both on the website and at the dealer. The dealer contacted me with that information and I now also have the letter from Volvo. So, short version, the engines will not show up as being recalled unless the address for the warranty within Volvo's system is in the US.

We're halfway around the world at the moment (NZ) so I've been trying to work out with Volvo what we can do. In the end, this was their response:

Basically they've told me we can only get the engines replaced in the US despite their worldwide service guarantee. Our current cruising plans put us back in the US in spring 2019, so we're hoping we can get it all coordinated to happen then. I guess it won't be terrible to have almost completed a circumnavigation and be gifted two new engines
That is Great news, and Thanks for sharing. This will help others that were on the sidelines wondering why they never received a recall.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 17:26   #19

What are the consequences of not having the engine replaced? I've not had an emissions inspection imposed on me. Would there be a time when an emissions check would be made, and an action imposed on the owner?

gbgreen59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, volvo, penta, cal, engine