Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 11:06   #1

Tobago 35 Owner Feedback Request

We have a 1996 FP Tobago 35 and enjoy the boat. We are preparing for our haul out and intend to use a silicone-based non-toxic bottom paint and want to apply it without touch up in blocking zones on the hulls. We would appreciate feedback concerning supporting the boat on its keels; is this acceptable for long periods (8+days), are any additional supports to prevent tipping assuming reasonable pre-haul out trim?

Also we are noting localized compression of the saloon sole and would like to stiffen this area. what is the sole material, is it cored, what is the layup thickness etc and has anyone dealt with this issue?

We are also developing our interior remodel plan as we don't ever forecast the need or desire to sleep 8 people and could use more organized storage and would appreciated feedback from folks how have made changes to their Tobagos.

Our steering system sticks occasionally under motoring loads, but will release if turned the opposite direction a few degrees. I'm thinking cable to drive hub wear or lubrication issues, has anyone addressed this? Its great to proceed without reinventing the wheel so experienced feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty
martyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 14:33   #2

Boat: FP Tobago 35
[quote=martyk;186137]
Quote:
We have a 1996 FP Tobago 35 and enjoy the boat. We are preparing for our haul out and intend to use a silicone-based non-toxic bottom paint and want to apply it without touch up in blocking zones on the hulls. We would appreciate feedback concerning supporting the boat on its keels; is this acceptable for long periods (8+days), are any additional supports to prevent tipping assuming reasonable pre-haul out trim?
I leave mine on her keels 6 months of the year, no problems. You could put a chock under the rudders to stabise it a bit more.

I
Quote:
Also we are noting localized compression of the saloon sole and would like to stiffen this area. what is the sole material, is it cored, what is the layup thickness etc and has anyone dealt with this issue?
I don't understand what you mean by this, how can you see the compression?

Quote:
We are also developing our interior remodel plan as we don't ever forecast the need or desire to sleep 8 people and could use more organized storage and would appreciated feedback from folks how have made changes to their Tobagos.
I haven't done any major changes inside, but have seen one where a number of shelves were added in the area outboard of the steps.
I am considering replacing the plywood under the starboard bunks with Nidacore, and to maybe make the forward bunk hinged for easier access to the storage space underneath.
One boat I saw had put a nice veneered piece of plywood from the ceiling to the sole on the stbd side of the saloon bulkhead, where there is acess to the rear of the instruments and steering- They had added hooks for hanging clothes there, and a neat chart stowage box that tilted forward for access

Quote:
Our steering system sticks occasionally under motoring loads, but will release if turned the opposite direction a few degrees. I'm thinking cable to drive hub wear or lubrication issues, has anyone addressed this? Its great to proceed without reinventing the wheel so experienced feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty[/quote
I had the same problem with worn teeth on the teleflex steering cable, and replaced it with a Vetus hydraulic system and a better autopilot. It works great but there is again no rudder feedback.

I have no hatch in the port forward area, and keep this space empty. The starboard forward room is used for extra sails and the electric outboard for the dinghy.

In the anchor locker, I have made holders for the gas bottles on the aft starboard side. On the port side I have made a light frame to hold the fenders up under the deck (horisontally), so the area underneath can be used for other stuff.

Hope this helps

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 15:12   #3

Alan,

Thanks for the response, the sole compression is noticeable when walking barefoot, viewing from stbd hull with eyes at floor level and when spilled water from the sink pools. we live aboard and with daily yoga on the floor this area gets a lot of traffic. can you elaborate on the hydraulic steering conversion, benifits, challenges, cost, difficulty in installation and autopilot choice? did you leave the drag link in place or install two cylinders?Did you outfit your boat with a staysail and sprit? Did you build these and did you replace the crossbeam or add a centerline compression post in the process? Our main is deteriorating and requires replacement can you make any recommendations here? the staysail sounds like a worthwhile modification to simplify tacking. please share your experience here. also do you know where i can purchase the push button cabinet latches?

thanks,
marty
martyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 14:01   #4

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
If you are interested, I have a site that provides my assessment of our Tobago, and descriptions of some of our modifications:
Cat Tales

We store Cat Tales on her keels on the off-seasons. We typically use jack-stands at the bow and under a mini-bulkhead at the stern. We tighten these up to try to take some of the load off the keels. The floor sections over the keels often fit poorly while on the hard, but normalcy returns upon launching. I would not chock the rudders, but let them hang freely.

We have soft areas under the flooring in the salon, but attribute them to voids where the different molded pieces meet. Specifically, there seems to be some near the top of the stairs. Even if this is not what you're experiencing, it still may not be a problem. Fibreglass is meant to flex a bit while still being able to manage the load.

We removed the foam mattresses from forward of the main bulkhead, over top of the boxed-in foam blocks. Like you, we cannot imagine 8 people aboard. We also put in some removable shelves, tilted forward, at the bows. We store a lot of tools and spares up there, attempting to counter-balance some of the weight at the stern: solar panels, wind gen, larger batteries. Other storage is with the use of large plastic bins for specific purposes, placed as appropriate for balance and access.

We no longer store spare propane in the anchor locker. I keep our main tank, a horizontal aluminum, 11-pounder, in a vented propane box under the seat in the cockpit. I have purchased a little brass fitting that converts the standard propane connection to one that allows the connection of 1-pound tanks, and keep a few in the same shallow box under the seat. Works great!

I am unaware of any problems with steering. I feel I should get some knowledge about the particular system. It appears hydraulic, and the automatic steering is Autohelm 6000 - works great, and I'll probably get my education when it all finally wears out. I hope to learn more as you and Nordic Cat continue to discuss the issue.

I continue to consider a bowsprit and forward sail. Phil Berman, our 2002 broker, told us he considered the Tobago to be light in sail forward. I am not so sure it is needed, and now that I intend to hang out in the Caribbean for a while (where the wind seldom is low), I may go without it for quite a while. I can't imagine a stay-sail, as the mast spreader would be in the way, or the sail would have to be terribly small.

We recommend you buy new sails from somebody as close to you as practical who has a good reputation. If the sails require modifications after you first bend them on, you do not want to send them back to China (you are not in China are you?).

Contact Fountaine Pajot if you need to source anything. They have been very nice to us. As for those buttons, try a teflon spray before you give up on them.

Cheers,
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 19:02   #5

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Re: Tobago 35 Owner Feedback Request

If I could correct my previous post - The steering is obviously via cable, now that I have properly inspected it. By the way, after 16 years, it still looks and works great.
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote