Have just cleaned and rebuilt the brass "cube" connector that ties the throttle pushrod to the throttle arm on the engine. After breathing new life into the cube I noticed that the pushrod turned easily where it entered the cable jacket. I presumed it was simply threaded onto the inner cable or wire but when I tried to undo it, it just spun. I shrugged and reassembled the linkage, adjusted engine idle to specs and engines ran perfectly.
Yesterday, they performed as expected and I shut them down when I reached my destination
. 10 minutes later the port engine would not start. Turned over fine and tried but exhibited fuel
starvation or nearly the same thing, throttle stuck in a lower than idle position. I set the idle speed with the threaded bolt throttle stop.
Anyway, I changed the fuel filter
(another first for me) and pumped the bleeder button 6-10 times and as Linda was working the throttle at the helm
station, I THINK I saw the linkage move at the transmission
but not at the throttle. So, coincidentally, as Linda advanced the throttle, I manually advanced the throttle arm and the engine started and ran at high rpms. I motioned to Linda to retard the throttle and all performed normally.
I checked for fuel leaks
and returned home, docked and shut down the boat
, all required numerous throttle changes.
Now, it is a confidence thing for both of us and I need to be able to assure especially Linda, that it was just a plugged filter (it happened during our maiden voyage from Grenada
on the other engine and wish now that I had changed the other other prempterally) and not an issue with the linkage.
Phew, sorry for the lengthy post.