Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2010, 15:04   #1

Boat: FP Mahe 36 #108 "Caramba"
Threads and Topics

To all friends of the Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36, who wants to post something:

In general, please try to stick to already started threads on your topic, if you find one.

If you can't find the proper thread for your topic concerning the FP Mahe,
and you want to start one, please name the thread:

FP Mahe 36 - your topic

This is to just to make searching easier.
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 16:08   #2
DtM

Thumbs down

Can't help yourself can you ?

Hopefully, everyone will ignore your hijack and keep posting in the main thread and I ENCOURAGE THEM TO DO SO.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 16:12   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
Can't help yourself can you ?

Hopefully, everyone will ignore your hijack and keep posting in the main thread and I ENCOURAGE THEM TO DO SO.
I'm not sure I understand your objection DtM, but the fact is that the FP Mahe thread had grown unwieldy and has been closed, so no one will be adding any more posts to it. Edmund's suggestion is actually a good idea, and will make finding specific information on this particular FP model much easier.

TaoJones
Old 23-03-2010, 17:12   #4
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Please move forward as Edmund suggested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund View Post
If you can't find the proper thread for your topic concerning the FP Mahe,
and you want to start one, please name the thread:

FP Mahe 36 - your topic
There will be a tool to group all FP Mahe threads together which will allow the discussions to be easier to identify. This is inline with the way other discussions take place on CF and in the long run will be beneficial for all our FP Mahe 36 owners.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 19:11   #5

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Google Group, Mahe 36

Mahe's

We can start a new Mahe group here.
Google Group, Mahe 36
http://groups.google.com/group/mahe-36

Mahe 36 blog categories
1) FP Mahe 36 - In General
2) FP Mahe 36 - Buying a Mahe
3) FP Mahe 36 - Owners
4) FP Mahe 36 - Electrical
5) FP Mahe 36 - Instruments
6) FP Mahe 36 - Solar
7) FP Mahe 36 - Engines
8) FP Mahe 36 - Sail Drives and Props
9) FP Mahe 36 - Hull
10) FP Mahe 36 - Rig and Sails
11) FP Mahe 36 - Sailing
12) FP Mahe 36 - Offshore
13) FP Mahe 36 - Interior
14) FP Mahe 36 - Refrigerator & Freezer
15) FP Mahe 36 - Plumbing & Water Heater
15) FP Mahe 36 - Heads
16) FP Mahe 36 - Bimini
17) FP Mahe 36 - Dinghy and Davits
18) FP Mahe 36 - Anchor and Windlass
19) FP Mahe 36 - Safety Equipment

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 19:23   #6

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Angry

Mark
I'll be following you to the Google Forum.
Administrators, when do you intent to close the Lagoon 42 thread which is almost as large as the Mahe 36 one? Watch out Lagoon followers, you may want to set up your Google Blog now.
Rather than just turning off one of the most successful threads on the forum, maybe you should give us the tools to do key word searching within a topic, as I suggested earlier.
How Ironic, success is its demise.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2010, 19:35   #7
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're free to think whatever you want, but the fact is that the Mahe thread was virtually unusable - except for a handful of posters who seemed to control it. We received plenty of requests to find a way to make the information accessible, and the first thing that has to be done when you're already deep in a hole is to stop digging.

That's what closing the Mahe thread accomplished.

Now we will work on organizing the posts that accumulate from this point on, just as Edmund and Cotemar have suggested with their various sub-categories. I fail to see how that is a bad thing.

TaoJones
Old 23-03-2010, 19:40   #8
DtM

I think you might find that the categories that are proposed are for the Google forum !!
Old 23-03-2010, 19:48   #9
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whether the sub-categories are on CF or any other Forum, they represent an attempt to organize the information, not just throw everything into one junk drawer.

TaoJones
Old 23-03-2010, 20:16   #10
DtM

The Administration

Andy and Tao,

The obvious result is that the main thread will slide further and further back and into disuse since it is locked.

daniel
Old 23-03-2010, 20:56   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DtM View Post
Andy and Tao,

The obvious result is that the main thread will slide further and further back and into disuse since it is locked.

daniel
The thread will move, but new ones will take it's place. Cruisers Forum is intended for information exchange, not a contest to see who has the longest thread. New threads can be started and more posts made. More info can be shared. Make the circle a little bigger and more folks can participate.

Consider that a new member might have difficulty with a long topic or a member on a slow internet connection cannot load that long thread. I can understand that you may find the choice to close the thread upsetting, but no ill will was intended - simply a desire to encourage more participation and more diverse and granular topics.

It's clear that members care deeply about content and are passionate about topics. We do the best we can to be good stewards of the vast info at Cruisers, working with the tools we have available but sometimes there is no perfect solution.

We'll keep trying to find other solutions but in the meantime, let's move forward and focus on sailing discussions - they are waaay more interesting.
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 01:19   #12

Boat: FP Mahe 36 #108 "Caramba"
I'm really sorry if my initiative should cause some of you to leave this forum.
My only intention was to try to organize all our information a little better, and thereby make it more available for anyone who would like to find it.

Those of you who find this so annoying that you would like to leave is of course free to do so, but we will certainly miss you if you do!
I must admit, however, that it looks a bit strange to me if you move to googles group, and establish just the same solution there as you are protesting against here?
Edmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 04:53   #13

Community Sponsor

Mahe forum in One location with Categories

Edmund,

We would stay here, but it’s not displaying the way most Mahe's want to see it. The main idea it to get everyone at ONE LOCATION like we had, but with
CATEGORIES on the left or right side for specific info that is easy to find. This would keep the main thread small and let the side specific Categories handle most of the info. This CF forum is just not setup that way.

We can put the Mahe 36 thread any where.
Google Groups seems to work for what we wanted to do (One location with Categories).

http://groups.google.com/group/mahe-36

Here is a structure that seems to work well for the Gemini group on Yahoo.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gemini_Cats/?yguid=217190096

We can go to the Yahoo Groups if you would like?

Just need to get everyone on the same page.

Just let me know and I will set it up where ever we can get everyone in one location displaying everything.

Mark
Old 24-03-2010, 05:43   #14
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
As the owner of a Cat, albeit not a Mahe 36, I have attempted to 'follow' the thread and must say that it has become totally unwieldy. I had a friend who was interested in a used Mahe and had asked a question about installing opening hatches forward - I recalled that it had been discussed at one point on the thread, but where?????

Even for owners, I suspect it must be frustrating to have to 'hunt' (literally) for earlier posts. Rather than seeing this as an insult to FP, or the Mahe, or her owners, it reflects the incredible popularity of the boat. Indeed, it is my understanding that the same is going to occur with other unwieldy threads (someone mentioned the Lagoon 44) - for precisely the same reason. Yours just happened to be the longest and came up first.

I have found CF to be an incredible forum which benefits all cruisers because of the wide range of experience of her members. Lets face it, questions about cruising destinations, diesel/saildrive maintenance, electronics, customs/entry into various countries, etc. ,etc., etc. are hardly Mahe 36 specific. Having said that, if the Mahe 36 owners truly want to take their toys and run away, all power to you. I suspect that many of you will be back from time to time, when questons arise, and even though you are unwilling to share your wisdom with us on an ongoing basis, I am sure you will find that we hold no such prejudice. At least at that point your inquiries/imput will be under headings that can be searched for future reference.

If this is, as I suspect, simply a misunderstanging of the reason for (and benefits of) separate topic heading for posts on the Mahe 36, then lets move forward. We really want your imput on all things including your terrific boat. If not and you truly want to leave in a huff, then good luck!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2010, 06:43   #15

Community Sponsor

Mahe forum in One location with Categories on the side

Brad,
We all agree with the unwieldy 1228 post in the large single thread.
We need a Mahe forum in One location with Categories on the side.
If you and the other Moderators can help us NOW we can stay.
It just appears that this CF site is set up to make very long threads on popular subjects.
Help us set it up so it does not grow like that and we will stay.
We are very passionate about our Mahe Discussions and Data and do not want our categories all over the place like what is proposed.

Can someone help us add a category list on the side of a FP Mahe 36 Main Page ?

Mark

Tags
mahe 36

« Offshore | trash »