Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 21:44   #1

Boat: FP Belize 43
Structural changes

I'm wanting to change my port fwd cabin ( of my 4 cabin charter layout) into a tool/ spare parts room but also keep a fold down single bunk .. to do this and make the room accessible I would need to partially remove the transverse bulkhead / spreader / support which is under the fwd cabin bunk.. I see that the owner version hulls don't actually have these "partitions" and was wondering if they are critical structural items OR what can I do to compensate for removal.. any pearls of wisdom from a SHIPWRIGHT or someone who has done the same would be much appreciated .. hopefully before i get the Jigsaw out [emoji12]
wongai64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 22:54   #2

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Structural changes

A picture or drawing what you intend to do might help, thou a partial removal is not a big deal. Reckon you'll cut an opening in the partial bulkhead under the berth to get walking access forward and setup some cabinets on both sides? This gives a possibility to add new structural partners to gain much more than was lost with the cutout...
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:13   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

If I understand correctly......

I believe in the port forward stateroom, the bulkhead at the aft of the berth equates to the bulkhead that holds the walk-thru door to the head on the starboard side of an owner's version. IMO, that is one of the 3 major bulkheads on the Belize. The other 2 are the one that includes the salon door and the one aft of the cockpit/forward end of the engine rooms.

Back to the port forward stateroom....I would not completely remove the bulkhead aft of the berth, although I would think converting it to a 'step-over' bulkhead by cutting the top section out (above the current door to the storage area) and maybe widening it a few inches would still maintain it's strength and purpose. I would also think mimicking that with the next bulkhead going forward (in the middle of the berth) would not affect anything structural. You can then utilize both those bulkheads for support for shelves or cabinets.

This is just my opinion....always good to check with a real engineer....
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 04:23   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46

What would be useful is for someone who owns an owner's version of the Belize to describe how these half-bulkheads are installed, with dimensions for thickness, etc. Photos would help too.

As the Bahia and Belize are constructed in a very similar way, maybe a Bahia owner could help?

I have a vested interest here as it's one of the things I am also considering doing, if it's possible, although in my case it's waaaaay down the job list.
Bill4 is offline   Reply With Quote