Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 20:48   #1

Boat: Lightwave 45
Square Head Main

Hi

Has anyone any hints as to how to initially secure the square head main to the first runner. I find it is a real struggle to lift the batten and secure the shackle at the same time.

I now use a snap shackle and have rigged a block on the mast so that I use one of the spare halyards to muscle the eyelet to the shackle but it is still a struggle.

Thanks in advance.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 16:21   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Square Head Main

Why not rig it like a “Doyle Anomaly Headboard

The Best Way to Raise and Lower a Square Top Mainsail

Using the Doyle Anomaly Headboard square top mainsails can now be hoisted without the need to manually attach the headboard to the carriage or re-install the gaff batten each time the sail is hoisted.
Hoisting the halyard pulls the headboard onto the carriage where a toggle locks the headboard into the carriage.
When the sail is lowered the headboard slides off the carriage with slack in the halyard allowing the sail to be flaked on the boom.

Anomaly Headboard | Doyle Sailmakers

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doyle Anomaly Headboard.jpg
Views:	1301
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	65272  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:07   #3
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

The top on our squaretop mainsail works easily and perfectly in both directions, every time, and has done since the beginning of our now ~20,000nm of putting it up and down. In fact, we installed a new mainsail after ~16,000nm, but copied the top setup (and the rest of the sail) to ensure the same results...and it's still working brilliantly.

We were a bit anxious about the squaretop when we bought the vessel because of comments from so many others who suggested it would be at least awkward, but we will happily credit Lagoon with overcoming those problems with what seems to be an elegantly simple and certainly very effective arrangement......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lagoon square top sail head board-1.jpg
Views:	1573
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	65284  
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:31   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

D&D,

Do you have a better picture?
Or is your setup like this video?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lagoon square top sail head board.jpg
Views:	1761
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	65278  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 17:42   #5
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Square Head Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
D&D,

Do you have a better picture?
Or is your setup like this video?

We seem to experience a lot of problems uploading any decent quality pics to CF. So the one in our post above was deliberately reduced. We'll try again here, but in any event yes, I think ours would be much the same as in the YouTube clip you posted...v simple and it works a treat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Lagoon square top sail head board-1.jpg
Views:	2288
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	65282  
Old 09-08-2013, 21:39   #6

Thanks for the responses.

I am a little confusing by this. The picture has two rings and the video has one. In any case I cannot see how the tension is taken up by this rig other than via halyard pressure at the top of the mast.

In any case it seems that the three systems are simply arranged to get the head to the top of the mast in an elegant fashion, and once the head is at the very top the halyard in effect takes the pressure.

Do I understand this correctly. If so then designing a system should be relatively straightforward.

Regards
Old 09-08-2013, 22:19   #7
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
In any case it seems that the three systems are simply arranged to get the head to the top of the mast in an elegant fashion, and once the head is at the very top the halyard in effect takes the pressure.
Correct -- The halyard takes the weight of the sail the whole way in both the Lagoon and the Doyle systems -- but what makes it perhaps something other than 'simple' is the other part of the process, viz. detaching the uppermost batten when lowering the sail so that the lowered sail lies flat (relatively) against the boom.

The systems -- There are probably only two because the 2 rings in the picture are simply 2 attaching points in the one top car -- are all about allowing the top batten to lie down when the sail is lowered, and then rise up again when the sail is raised, both occurring automatically. The difference between the systems appears to be that the Lagoon system uses an extra line (a small spectra line anchored at the third batten and the top car) whereas the Doyle system uses a loop in the halyard passing through a detachable 2-part top car assembly. The Lagoon system rises (and lowers) the top batten as the gap opens (and closes) between the upper battens, thus tensioning (or relaxing) the spectra line. The Doyle system brings the top car together as the tension increases on the halyard.
Old 11-09-2013, 15:56   #8

Has anybody got a close up of the line attachment point at the second battery? Can this attachment point be done by the skipper or is a sailmaker install required?
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2013, 05:06   #9

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

here is from our L380
Lagoon 380 Careka: Erfaringer

looks like i cant put in pictures here so this is from our blogg.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 18:07   #10

I looked i to the Doyle system for the Helia and the car on the Helia will not work with their current system. Has anybody tried the lagoon system? If so, pictures and dimensions would be helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 18:17   #11
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay View Post
I looked i to the Doyle system for the Helia and the car on the Helia will not work with their current system. Has anybody tried the lagoon system? If so, pictures and dimensions would be helpful.
Cf our posts #3, 5 & 7 above.

No measurements tho...
Old 13-08-2014, 18:22   #12

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-08-2014, 19:04   #13

I tried the Lagoon system on the Orana but problematic for reefing. Eventually installed a geared lanyard which aided connection o head to car and this worked well.

The Helia is much easier and I do not need any further help. It must be the cut. However my partner still cannot connect alone, so I will eventually rig the same system on the Helia.
Old 13-08-2014, 20:26   #14

Could you send a picture or diagram for your setup. It would be very helpful since this is one of the last issues that I am trying to solve. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 13-08-2014, 22:25   #15

Hi

Unlikely to get back to the Orana for a week or two. It is very simple. Small double block shackled to spinnaker halyard or topping lift near the main car. Run a dynema line through the block. I just leave it in place permanently and grab it when I need it. To fasten run dynema line through the head ring and the double block and pull the head to the car. Best to replace the head U shackle with a snap shackle. You need a low profile snap shackle to allow for full height of the main. These can be difficult to source. Simply hold the dynema line and fasten the snap shackle and its done. Remove the dynema line and fasten it and the block to a mast cleat for use next time.

Tags
head