Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 12:24   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

Greetings....

Only recently i start having to cope with an issue with my Goiot Windlass... during operation (up or down) the solenoid apparently gets stuck/jammed causing the windlass to continue (either up or down)... For reasons beyond my comprehension, FP insists in mounting the solenoid somewhere under the bench in the main cabin, only reachable by small built persons (which is not my case..). Anyhow, got the piece out, opened it, cleaned the contact points and greased the springs... Had all mounted back, and of course it didnt realy work well... I would need to just be able to hit the solenoid box to come loose, but it is as mentioned, too hard to reach... Ok, now i would need to get a new solenoid, but i was wondering if there is not a cheaper solution (and something i could mount on an easier-to-reach location....
Thoughts anybody...??

Thanks and best rgds
Pieter
SV Onda Boa
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 12:40   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

I would goto a higher amp solenoid so that the contacts will not burn up so easily.

windlass solenoids - Google Search
Old 22-03-2012, 16:35   #3
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I would goto a higher amp solenoid so that the contacts will not burn up so easily.

windlass solenoids - Google Search
Thanks Delmarrey.... Just checked your blog... nice job on your boat...Great tips..

Best rgds.
Pieter
SV Onda Boa
Blog: Ocean of Dreams
Old 22-03-2012, 16:49   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

In a marine environment solenoids will fail. Is it a totally enclosed controller with the encased solenoid or the dual separate solenoids. I have found installations in a few boats to be incorrect. Check the method in which they were installed and if they is any sign of rusting or corrosion. A properly installed solenoid is vertically mounted so gravity aids the spring to disconnect. It is amazing how builders will place critical equipment in inaccessible locations. I think all marine engineers should be required to spend several years doing maintenance before being allowed to design anything.
Old 22-03-2012, 16:57   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I have three solenoids on our CB lift. They were unreliable so I replaced. I found the old coils OK so, nothing to loose. I found the corrosion between the moving iron plunger and the coil inner bore was just enough to stick the moving core sometimes. A hammer knock usually moved it. On a bench, I poured some carborundum grinding compound into the gap and spun the core with my drill. Pollished the heck out of the interface and now I have spares.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 17:09   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
In a marine environment solenoids will fail. Is it a totally enclosed controller with the encased solenoid or the dual separate solenoids. I have found installations in a few boats to be incorrect. Check the method in which they were installed and if they is any sign of rusting or corrosion. A properly installed solenoid is vertically mounted so gravity aids the spring to disconnect. It is amazing how builders will place critical equipment in inaccessible locations. I think all marine engineers should be required to spend several years doing maintenance before being allowed to design anything.
Thanks for your comments Lancerbye, and i agree with you. I do have the totally enclosed controler, vertically mounted...

Best rgds
Pieter
SV Onda Boa
Old 22-03-2012, 17:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have three solenoids on our CB lift. They were unreliable so I replaced. I found the old coils OK so, nothing to loose. I found the corrosion between the moving iron plunger and the coil inner bore was just enough to stick the moving core sometimes. A hammer knock usually moved it. On a bench, I poured some carborundum grinding compound into the gap and spun the core with my drill. Pollished the heck out of the interface and now I have spares.
Thanks for yr comments and solution.... sometimes i would like to be able to apply the hammer method (not only on a stuck solenoid...)
Best rgds
Pieter
SV Onda Boa

Tags
windlass