Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 13:24   #1
Marine Service Provider
 
Pieter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Angra dos Reis, Brazil
Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Posts: 173
Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

Greetings....

Only recently i start having to cope with an issue with my Goiot Windlass... during operation (up or down) the solenoid apparently gets stuck/jammed causing the windlass to continue (either up or down)... For reasons beyond my comprehension, FP insists in mounting the solenoid somewhere under the bench in the main cabin, only reachable by small built persons (which is not my case..). Anyhow, got the piece out, opened it, cleaned the contact points and greased the springs... Had all mounted back, and of course it didnt realy work well... I would need to just be able to hit the solenoid box to come loose, but it is as mentioned, too hard to reach... Ok, now i would need to get a new solenoid, but i was wondering if there is not a cheaper solution (and something i could mount on an easier-to-reach location....
Thoughts anybody...??

Thanks and best rgds
Pieter
SV Onda Boa
__________________

__________________
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 13:40   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

I would goto a higher amp solenoid so that the contacts will not burn up so easily.

windlass solenoids - Google Search
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 17:35   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
Pieter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Angra dos Reis, Brazil
Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Posts: 173
Re: Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I would goto a higher amp solenoid so that the contacts will not burn up so easily.

windlass solenoids - Google Search
Thanks Delmarrey.... Just checked your blog... nice job on your boat...Great tips..

Best rgds.
Pieter
SV Onda Boa
Blog: Ocean of Dreams
__________________
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 17:49   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Lancerbye's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ladysmith,BC, Vancouver Island , Canada
Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Posts: 1,757
Images: 32
Re: Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

In a marine environment solenoids will fail. Is it a totally enclosed controller with the encased solenoid or the dual separate solenoids. I have found installations in a few boats to be incorrect. Check the method in which they were installed and if they is any sign of rusting or corrosion. A properly installed solenoid is vertically mounted so gravity aids the spring to disconnect. It is amazing how builders will place critical equipment in inaccessible locations. I think all marine engineers should be required to spend several years doing maintenance before being allowed to design anything.
__________________
The basis of accomplishment is in never quitting
Mengzi Meng-tse
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 17:57   #5
Registered User
 
Nicholson58's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Live aboard
Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Posts: 3,466
Images: 83
Re: Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

I have three solenoids on our CB lift. They were unreliable so I replaced. I found the old coils OK so, nothing to loose. I found the corrosion between the moving iron plunger and the coil inner bore was just enough to stick the moving core sometimes. A hammer knock usually moved it. On a bench, I poured some carborundum grinding compound into the gap and spun the core with my drill. Pollished the heck out of the interface and now I have spares.
__________________
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 18:09   #6
Marine Service Provider
 
Pieter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Angra dos Reis, Brazil
Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Posts: 173
Re: Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
In a marine environment solenoids will fail. Is it a totally enclosed controller with the encased solenoid or the dual separate solenoids. I have found installations in a few boats to be incorrect. Check the method in which they were installed and if they is any sign of rusting or corrosion. A properly installed solenoid is vertically mounted so gravity aids the spring to disconnect. It is amazing how builders will place critical equipment in inaccessible locations. I think all marine engineers should be required to spend several years doing maintenance before being allowed to design anything.
Thanks for your comments Lancerbye, and i agree with you. I do have the totally enclosed controler, vertically mounted...

Best rgds
Pieter
SV Onda Boa
__________________
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 18:29   #7
Marine Service Provider
 
Pieter's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Angra dos Reis, Brazil
Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Posts: 173
Re: Solenoid on Windlass: Jammed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have three solenoids on our CB lift. They were unreliable so I replaced. I found the old coils OK so, nothing to loose. I found the corrosion between the moving iron plunger and the coil inner bore was just enough to stick the moving core sometimes. A hammer knock usually moved it. On a bench, I poured some carborundum grinding compound into the gap and spun the core with my drill. Pollished the heck out of the interface and now I have spares.
Thanks for yr comments and solution.... sometimes i would like to be able to apply the hammer method (not only on a stuck solenoid...)
Best rgds
Pieter
SV Onda Boa
__________________

__________________
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
windlass

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale: Perkins 4-107, a real one with 300 hours on bill kravis Classifieds Archive 3 31-07-2012 01:52
What if Dwelling on Land Were the Exception Rather Than the Rule? sweetsailing Fishing, Recreation & Fun 96 03-04-2012 14:23
Catamarans on a Budget ... Can It Be Done ? dallsbeep Multihull Sailboats 40 31-03-2012 11:41
Cruising on $500 per Month . . . goprisko General Sailing Forum 3094 24-03-2012 23:32
Hello from a Morgan 45 on the Hard in Salt Creek kefroeschner Meets & Greets 2 22-03-2012 05:21



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.