Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2018, 13:50   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Saona 47 for a life long monohuller

Just pulled the trigger on a Saona 47. Scheduled ex factory November 2019. I’ve owned single hulled boats for more than 40 years with a Beneteau Sense 50 my current boat. What convinced me was the pure volume and the single level living. I intend to equip as a quick sailor for an old guy. Start with folding prop, a bow sprit and an easy to handle downwind sail. Thoughts? Will take delivery in Florida and putter around there before bringing it to California. Went with Yanmar engines and Onan generator. I don’t hate Volvo, but not too common from where I’m from and I’ve had yanmar for twenty five years. The forums on Fischer Panda generators scared me. Went with Garmin electronics though I have liked my Raymarine and not so much by BandG. So much to learn based on this new direction. Input appreciated.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 18:17   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Saona 47 for a life long monohuller

Congrats on the new boat! It's amazing to me how much bigger a Saona is than my Salina. Same width, and mine's a foot longer, but the Saona is a much bigger boat.

I think you did well on your gear choices. I have Yanmar too, and considering the black box failures there have been with Volvo, I think you'll be happier with them. Hopefully Volvo will have a good solution to the black box problems, but I haven't heard of any similar problems with Yanmar. Onan is a good generator, but I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with repeated impeller failures with the genset mounted up high in the anchor locker. I believe FP started installing a lift pump on the Helia. You might want to check into that as well.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 18:21   #3

Also, be sure to join the FP owners facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1017563221642960/
Old 09-04-2018, 19:10   #4

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Congrats! We considered going with the Yanmars on our Saba (Due September 18) but found the FP markup beyond ridiculous.

I was also expecting to install Raymarine, but after hours of playing with both side-by-side at a West Marine - we also decided on Garmin. We also considered the fact that Garmin now owns Active Captain and Navionics.

As for props, our current choice are the 3 blade Flexofolds. If you haven't seen the review done by YM, it's worth a read...

Folding and feathering propeller test

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 19:41   #5

Boat: LAGOON 400

well, congrats ! i guess it was difficult to step in unknown

Purchased my near new boat from very passionate sailor, add-ons were quite modest, except on sailing side. suggest to get all possible blocks installed by the factory. Factory set sail shape is mostly non-optimal and these blocks can help you get better shape in all sorts of conditions and extra speed if you desire so.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 20:54   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Well done, hope you enjoy. The space is amazing, I'm surrounded by large cats at the moment, I'm on the small boat (47 mono). Had a look at the saba 50 the other day, the room is just mind blowing.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 21:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Onan is a good generator, but I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with repeated impeller failures with the genset mounted up high in the anchor locker. I believe FP started installing a lift pump on the Helia. You might want to check into that as well.
FP puts the genny in the starboard engine room now. Much closer to the waterline and more protection from weather than up front.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 16:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
FP puts the genny in the starboard engine room now. Much closer to the waterline and more protection from weather than up front.
Back to the ways of yesteryear. Mine is in the Port engine room.
Old 11-04-2018, 17:20   #9

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

The envy starts here! Congrats!
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:42   #10

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Congrats on the new boat! It's amazing to me how much bigger a Saona is than my Salina. Same width, and mine's a foot longer, but the Saona is a much bigger boat.

I think you did well on your gear choices. I have Yanmar too, and considering the black box failures there have been with Volvo, I think you'll be happier with them. Hopefully Volvo will have a good solution to the black box problems, but I haven't heard of any similar problems with Yanmar. Onan is a good generator, but I've heard of a lot of people having trouble with repeated impeller failures with the genset mounted up high in the anchor locker. I believe FP started installing a lift pump on the Helia. You might want to check into that as well.
Ditch the impeller and water pump:

Congrats and best regards,
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 08:05   #11

I use a microwave a lot and the oven seldom. I am thinking of replacing the oven with a convection microwave. I understand I’ll need to run the generator to bake bread, but I will have 13.5 kw for that. I don’t want to give up the space for two separate units. Anyone done this? Anyone know the cutout width for the standard oven.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:36   #12

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Ditch the impeller and water pump:

Congrats and best regards,
I'm told (although thanks to FPs "challenging" communication process I haven't been able to confirm) that they are now installing march pumps on Genset installs (at least on the Saba.)

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:25   #13

Good news! Let us know when you find out for sure.

Regards,
Old 02-05-2018, 07:35   #14

Tell me more. Tell me more. What is a "march pump"? I had to replace an impeller at 50 hours on my 7.5kw Onan. Annoying both in terms of longevity as well as difficulty to get to. My dealer had warned me so my problem wasn't unique. The impeller was very small compared with the impeller for my Yanmar so it seemed fragile. Reading the forums it seemed that installation could be an issue - that is, no water, I guess, at start up. Someone posted a common problem when the generator was forward on the bridge deck getting the water that high off the water. Mine will be in an engine locker.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:55   #15

Google: difference between a March pump and a standard impeller in a marine generator

There are lots of threads about March pumps like this one: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-170287.html

Look above at the video I posted of Impi catamaran - he explains it well

Tags
hull, monohull