Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2013, 05:14   #1

SANYA 57 too slow under sail?

there are rumours that the Sanya 57 is simply too slow under sail, as opposed to what Fountaine Pajot promise base on their tests?
- anyone out there who can confirm this? or the opposite?
( i'm thinking more and more about buying this boat, so i just want to make sure)
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 16:14   #2
DtM

Re: SANYA 57 too slow under sail?

You have to decide what is important to you.

Comfort or speed. There are costs both in dollars and otherwise that attach to your decision.

I have to say that I thought the Sanya was an heavy looking boat when we went over one recently and that may well be reflected in the sailing performance especially if the fuel and water tanks are full.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 11:35   #3

There is a performance rigging upgrade.
jacksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 12:29   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If you want speed look into an Atlantic55/57 by Chris White Designs.
Old 04-08-2013, 15:25   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Have been on Sanya several times but couldn't sail her yet. I am familiar with all of FP range; looking at different numbers and the shape, I would have guessed that she won't be fastest FP for sure..

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 16:47   #6
DtM

Went on the Sanya again at the Sydney Boatshow yesterday. Was reminded just how big a boat she is.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 17:36   #7

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

We are considering one, I do not care if they are slow. We are retired, love comfort, and besides it can not be any slower than our Columbia C-45.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2014, 20:37   #8

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Hello Alexxx,
Helia 44 here, Since I own her little brother, about two hundred? meters away, I can give you a perspective that might be of help...

I have a Sanya 57 just up the main channel from me... Being Blessed to have my own dock on the main channel, I sail right by her all the time and can see her from my Helia 44 dock. You would swear the rigs are about the same size...

The Sanya is BIIIG, I mean really big.. The rig is not in proportion to the hulls and bridge deck. I mean it looks almost motor-sailor class. Now I am told there is a performance rig, taller mast for her by option, and longer main boom... but I have not seen it. The only one here was again, not much taller than my Helia 44 at the Show. It must be for fair weather sailing downwind, and motoring charter type work.

My Helia on the other hand, I have been racing. No it is not a race boat, but the combined two Yacht Clubs (Mooloolaba Yacht Club and Sunshine Coast Yacht Club) had a combined race, one called a Bay Race shorter course around placed markers, and a big ocean race, all in one day... Helia 44 "Avalon" won both races 1st Place... Due to my stellar Crew One the wind was up, and about 2 Metre windwaves, the slam that would stop other race boats dead, the Helia blasted through with a big shower of salt water and only a knot or two speed drop.... It was her kind of weather to wind, at one point 9-10 knots to windward at 45-50 degrees in 30 knots apparent, blasting though seas that were stopping others...

Now this was not a brag, but a perspective, as the Helia 44 sails pretty well up wind: If you look at the F.P. hulls vrs mast height of the Helia 44, at about 65' tall off the water, 20.6 Metres or 67.5 feet with antennaes, in proportion to the hulls, you get a perspective... The Helia sails pretty well upwind, like in heavy weather of about 25 knts apparent I am steady at about 40 degrees and get down to 35 degrees with working sails, and a 2 knot drop in speed. She goes pretty well.

Expect NOTHING like that out of a Sanya 57, I mean the boat looks about TWICE as big, and the mast is within a meter or two... The "Performance" rig would have to be HUGE and I have heard it is only a couple metres taller and a longer main boom.... Sorry, but I do not think it can perform that well upwind. Downwind? Two bathtubs and a plank and bedsheet will sail downwind.. heh he.... Upwind is the key..

Hope this is a help... I certainly don't think I would order one for private cruising without the "Performance Rig" I do not like motoring everywhere.. heh he
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 14:00   #9

Boat: Columbia C45 45'

Here is a review of the Sanya by Sail Magazine, they discuss the performance under sail:

Best Boat 2013 Fountaine-Pajot Sanya 57 | Sail Magazine
boating2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 01:05   #10

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Just a word of warning, putting a bigger rig on a heavy cat is a recipe for disaster.
A cat cannot heel to loose the pressure of a gust, it must accelerate.
Now a heavy, wide hulled cat WILL NOT accelerate fast enough to compensate for the gust and something night and eventually will break. If something worse doesn't happen.

Speed is not the forte of the Sanya, I sailed in tandem with one for nearly a year, its forte is the space. Too much for my liking, but that is personal.

Consider that all forces are much higher you need bigger winces, anchor and wallet, everywhere you go.

If you want a faster, and still big cat, check out a Salina like mine. Plenty room for pot lucks, we had 25 people once....
I always sail faster that other "Cruising" cats, only Outremers and the like go faster, but they don't have the space inside.
I cruise at 5/8 true wind speed, can go faster, but I don't like to stress the boat (and my Admiral)......
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 06:31   #11

Ih would have some burning questions.

We are looking at the Ipanema 58 for charter and private use, whit skipper on board.

On the Sanya the engines are also located below the stern beads is that correct?
Any problems whit smell or fumes from them coming in to the aft cabins, how is the vibration level in these rooms using the engines?

Also the bilge from the engine rooms are connected to the main bilge in the hull, any problems whit the engine fumes, smells?

No concerns about the fact that there are no watertight compartments like in lagoon?

any advice is very welcome.

best regards
lagoon100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail