Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-06-2012, 00:21   #31

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Re: Sanya 57: First-time cat purchasers need experienced cat owners advice and knowle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Wait until Monday the 18th and you will see the 'new boat' on the FP website, you will like what you see I am sure!
Gordon.
Gordon
Tell us more about the FP Helia 44 you have just bought
JohnC

Old 19-06-2012, 04:12   #32

Boat: secondarily boatless
Re: Sanya 57: First-time cat purchasers need experienced cat owners advice and knowle

Kym,

I'll stay away from giving advice and instead just tell you our experience. We are going sailing as a couple and have bought a Lagoon 470 about 6 months ago. The main reason for that was that I am 6'2" and just could not fit into smaller cats without bowing my head constantly.

Despite all the electrical help, it happens that you are trying to roll in the genoa and the furler is acting up, so someone has to go forward and do it by hand. And even in moderate conditions that is a chore.

Another example: Taking the mainsail down for cleaning and repairs is difficult for the two of us (and that is putting it mildly...)

We replaced the trampoline and had to move the anchor for that - it was definitely close to the maximum I could handle.

That having been said, when we're out on the water we enjoy every inch of the boat.

Oliver

Old 20-06-2012, 13:11   #33
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Hy Kym and husband.

it is difficult to talk about catamaran brands without offending owners, so I will not name brands, except my Salina.
By necessity I will repeat what has been said to make a complete assessment of my view.

Motors: some manufacturers put the engines aft of the rudders to gain space inside and you end up with props close to the sterns. This gives you two major disadvantages:
  1. The flow of water does not hit the rudder and doesn't shift the sterns.
  2. In steep seas they may (will??) cavitate.
That is when you need engines the most; which reinforces the statement already made, get bigger engines.

Boom/sails: check whether you can reach the whole of the boom from standing on the roof. What is the mail doesn't all fall properly in the lazy bag? How do you climb on the mast and into the boom in a heavy sea?
Two days ago we (wife and I) left an anchorage with one reef in as the forecast was for up to 20Kn. We were about 4NM from shore when within 3 minutes it went from 18kn to 29+ (we are in the Greece).
Short handed, you cannot take reefs with the genoa open and there is no way you can furl the genoa by hand in 30kn.
By the time I got the genoa in, something went wrong with the lower batten in the main, I tried to take the second or third reef, but could not pull the strap home so I lowered the main and motored into a bay to fix things up.
Out there with waves mounting on the bows and the wind taking the foam of the top of the waves, my wife was VERY scared.
Later we sailed with three reefs and half a genoa at 9kn into a safe anchorage for the night.
I also took off the main to take it to be cleaned and stored last winter: two strong guys had a real hard time, you would definitely need to pay professionals to do it for you.

Anchor: here again bigger is good, biggest is better. I witnessed people dragging with anchors of the recommended size for their boat. I went two sizes up and I also have dragged: sometimes it looks like sand, but there is flat rock underneath and you slide until you hook on something.
The bridle came from the factory with a snap shackle that got bent in a moderate blow, so I replaced it with the biggest that would fit in my 12mm chain, that snapped in 40kn, fortunately early morning and when I had two extra crew on board. Not a pretty experience when you are in a bay surrounded by other yachts on anchor and things go wrong.

Of course bigger is better, but I think my Salina is already a bit of an handful for me, and I have had boats all my life.
Consider that the wind force increase with the square of the speed and (I think at least) with the square of the surface.... is bigger better?

Before buying this Salina, for 6y I had a 12m cat that used to pitch like a rocking chair; beautiful looking boat, but totally unsafe to sail around the world.
I studied Naval Architecture for three years (a long time ago) and researched cats for 3y before buying this Salina.
In my opinion this is the best Cruising, production cat. I emphasize those two worlds because they are critical to my statement, you can get a faster cat, but it will not be a 'Cruising' cat, you can get one with more internal volume, but will sail like a dog.
You might be able to design and build a better 'Cruising' cat, but it will not be a 'production' boat, it will have no mother or father or sisters and nobody will buy it from you for what it is worth.

To sum it up: comfort is important, speed is important, but Safety is paramount.
If you really want the Sanya, on top of the additional electronics, genset, watermaker, aircon that you need to buy, allow another 50 to 80k to make her safe. Ask yourselves questions like: "how do I handle the boat with the emergency rudder tiller arm?" "How long can I do it for?"

We have given up life ashore and enjoy our new liveaboard lifestyle very much, but it is not always as rosy as it seems....
Go for it, buy a cat and you too will love this life, but bigger is not always better. As it has been said, you can upgrade later.
Old 21-06-2012, 00:36   #34

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Kim & Spiv,

I think this is possibly the best crusing cat out there now. New generation vessel built for long distance cruising and compares favorably with the Salina in my view. FF46.

Ist vessel is in the water now from one of the founders of Lightwave.

FreeFlow Catamarans

Cheers
Old 24-06-2012, 16:02   #35

Boat: Lagoon 560

Hi All-

I have continued to gather wonderful knowledge from all of you regarding the Sanya, or perhaps us even considering a smaller cat. I have been out of town this past week with no connection to the internet (actually on our houseboat at Lake Powell--so on the water, but unfortunately, not sailing.) When I got home last night, I immediately got on the forum to read all the updates. Thank you, thank you for your continued thoughts on this very BIG decision.

My husband just left to sail from Virginia down to the Bahamas. Your opinions and thoughts are foremost in his mind while he sails, trying to figure out what is best for our family's needs.

Also, we are going to be in Europe in September and have decided to go to the boat show in Cannes where many of the Cats will be there for us to view and walk through. That way, we can walk aboard each one, one more time, to see if any others fit our needs. We feel that we are much more educated about what best suits our needs after having sailed a catamaran as well as reading everyone's insight and thoughts on this thread.

I so appreciate this Knowledge Base that is being sent our way... so much to think about and consider. I feel like we will be much more equipped to make our decision after the show and hope to be on the water in early 2013.

Again, all insights are heavily valued and we have really appreciated your help while we sit and stew about catamarans. I look forward to your comments and will keep you posted as to what we finally decide.

Cheers!
Kym
Old 24-06-2012, 16:36   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_67864C43-A2BA-4B50-895B-E4372681BA84.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	250.5 KB
ID:	42726
This will be the new offering from FP on show in Cannes.

Gordon.
Old 25-06-2012, 00:04   #37
Ancient Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP, Salina 14.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Hi Kym,
my very good friend Terry has yesterday taken possession of his new Sanya in La Rochelle. In a week or so he leaves and we will rendeavouz in Malta and then sail in tandem for the next couple of years.
I will ask Terry to join this forum with his impressions.
BTW, FP has asked both of us to take our boats to Cannes, but it is out of our way, so we might not make it, but if we do, will post here.
Old 26-06-2012, 18:28   #38

Hi Everyone,

I would like to join the current talks on the Sanya 57, why we chose her, why did we need this size boat, how are we going to handle her with Husband, wife and two young kids, a 12 Girl and 10yr old boy.

Our names are Terry and Coral Howe from the Pilbara in Western Australia, Jessica and Brock are our children.

A family decision was organized to come up with a name, but I was out voted, I think it is too long

Howe's Adventures

Hard to use on the radio but it represents what we are about to do.

I am not going to give you all the answers here as I just purchased the New Sanya 57,

If you would like to see her launch see here:

Animoto - Australia's First

Basically I want my family to be on the ocean for the next 3 - 10 years, Coral is a Princess, mind you a hard working Princess and not afraid to get in there and have dirty hands, but still a princess. I Love her dearly

She like most women loves her cloths, shoes hand bags and nail polish so requires a barge to tow behind the Sanya 57, she has settled for the 57.

I don't know where she is going to put it all, but in the end she will realize that alot is going into the Merrel bin.

But all jokes aside we have looked at it, that speed is not important, a safe vessel that dose have elbow room and living space is what we decided on and the Sanya 57, in our eyes is what we have fallen in Love with.

I have been here in La Rochelle since the 19th June the day she was launched, she is everything that we expected, the only changes we are making to std are an extra cupboard next to the fridge as a pantry as air conditioning has taken a couple of Cupboard space.

also in the stb forward hull just below the steps is a open closet that we are going to turn into a dry goods food stowage area.

I also spoke to the owner of Hull No. 1 today, he is very happy with his purchase, but told me that to the left of the port engine there is a huge void in the engine bay, three people can easily stand in next to the engine, he had the area turned into a stowage area with access by a hatch just on top of the aft Transom stairs, cost him about $5000us.

Other that a very quick go at the helm while I was here 8 weeks ago doing sea trials, I haven't taken her out yet, awaiting the Australian Registration.

So I cant give you any feed back just yet.

If you are interested I will monitor this thread and answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Also why so big, over 95% of the time we will be at anchor and not traveling, so we opted for the space and not speed.

Look forward to catching up with Stef and Helen our friends for over thirty years, its taken us a little longer to get there but its happening now.
Old 26-06-2012, 19:36   #39

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

ozdownunder,

Congratulations on your new Sanya 57. Very nice video you did.
Tell us more when you get her going. We are all ears.
Old 27-06-2012, 22:50   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Terry and Coral, what an exciting time for you both, and what a way to start, in a new Sanya 57. My wife Louise and I will be picking up a He'lia 44 in April/May next year and sailing slowly back to oz, maybe we will catch up somewhere.
I was in contact with you back in Jan/Feb 2010 re catamaran choices, we owned an Orana 44, 'La Rochelle' which was part of the Multihull Solutions display for seven boat shows so you may have seen her if you visited the East Coast shows at all.
Please keep up a link to your blogs or info on your experiences around the Med. as we will be looking for guidance ourselves, am sure your other Ausi mate Stefano will give you help.

Regards and Congratulations
Gordon.
Old 28-06-2012, 03:23   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdownunder View Post
Also why so big, over 95% of the time we will be at anchor and not traveling, so we opted for the space and not speed.
Congratulations - what an exciting time. I wouldnt worry too much about the speed, anything that long will go okay, I sailed an FP elethura (sp?) a few years back, wrote an artricle on it in the Australian Multihull World Magazine, and it went along at a very good pace. Multi or Mono, length is a good thing.
Old 28-06-2012, 08:19   #42

Downunder,
On paper I have to agree with you; the Free Flow is a very appealing boat. I wrote to Stanton and inquired about the build process but haven't heard from them yet. Has anyone on the forum been on the free flow that they just launched?

"I think this is possibly the best cruising cat out there now. New generation vessel built for long distance cruising and compares favorably with the Salina in my view. FF46."
FreeFlow Catamarans
Old 28-06-2012, 15:41   #43

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by YADO View Post
Downunder,
On paper I have to agree with you; the Free Flow is a very appealing boat. I wrote to Stanton and inquired about the build process but haven't heard from them yet. Has anyone on the forum been on the free flow that they just launched?

"I think this is possibly the best cruising cat out there now. New generation vessel built for long distance cruising and compares favorably with the Salina in my view. FF46."
FreeFlow Catamarans
Yes I have. Factor has also I believe.

Cheers
Old 28-06-2012, 16:16   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corsair Dash MKII

Yes I have been on it, a very impressive boat with many many interesting and sensible ideas. And the build quality was excellent.
Old 26-10-2012, 18:53   #45

Hi Kymfrey,

We are an owner of the Sanya 57 Hull number 7 just brought it in June 2012.

I don't agree with most comments here and if you would like to contact us please feel free to do so.

Also see my post below, if you are interested in crewing before you choose your vessel.

I am looking for crew for a passage, leaving Canary Islands for Atlantic crossing to Caribbean, looking at leaving end of Nov 2012.

A 12 -14 day crossing weather permitting and also invited to spend some time on the Catamaran once we get there.

I have a new Fountaine Pajot Sanya 57, so it should be a very comfortable passage and time aboard.

I am also a Dive Master Padi and have my own underwater video gear, really interested in Videography and putting together something about my family leaving the rat race for a Sea Experience.

Email me at ozdownunder ( at )iinet.net.au We are Australian's and living and loving life aboard and hope to talk about it some more.

Regards Terry

Tags
catamaran, fountaine pajot, Sanya 57, multihull

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: