Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2012, 05:53   #1

Salon door lock and locker push buttons

Hi guys I need some advice re a couple of minor problems on the newly purchased Belize 43.
Problem is the key goes into the salon door lock but does not operate the lock mechanism. Has anyone ever replaced or removed the lock on the salon door as it appears to be an integeral part of the door?
Also some of the push button catches on the various cabinets are stuck closed. Am considering attempting to spray some sort of penetrating oil around the edge of the button. Has anyone done this or is there a better way?
Kind regards
Wayne
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 12:19   #2
cruiser

Re: Salon door lock and locker push buttons

Hi Aussie Wayne,
The lock on the cockpit sliding door can be pulled apart and clean and lubricated , I had to do mine about three months after I took delivery of my boat, you are on the right track with the latches on the cabinet doors, I have some spares just in case but WD 40 will fix the problem , maybe I can show you on staurday .
Cheers

Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 14:33   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Cockpit door latch/lock, yes, take it apart (be careful of one spring that will fly), clean it, and put it back together. I've gone to some length trying to find a replacement lock cylinder but found no solution. I've lubricated the cylinder with graphite and rejuvenated it and now it works. During my searches, I've almost concluded the sliding door is made/supplied by Goiot.

The inside door latches are SeaDog, I purchased spares in polished chrome and trade the backend using the original knobs.

I hope this helps.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2012, 16:40   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post
Hi Aussie Wayne,
The lock on the cockpit sliding door can be pulled apart and clean and lubricated , I had to do mine about three months after I took delivery of my boat, you are on the right track with the latches on the cabinet doors, I have some spares just in case but WD 40 will fix the problem , maybe I can show you on staurday .
Cheers

Thanks Le Doume seems like it might turn out to be a common problem. I will have a look at yours on Saturday.
Wayne
Old 17-10-2012, 21:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Cockpit door latch/lock, yes, take it apart (be careful of one spring that will fly), clean it, and put it back together. I've gone to some length trying to find a replacement lock cylinder but found no solution. I've lubricated the cylinder with graphite and rejuvenated it and now it works. During my searches, I've almost concluded the sliding door is made/supplied by Goiot.

The inside door latches are SeaDog, I purchased spares in polished chrome and trade the backend using the original knobs.

I hope this helps.
Hi DotDun Thanks for the detailed advice.
It is always good to know the finer things such as the flying spring. Graphite sounds the go after we manage to dismantle it that is. As you say maybe Goiot make the door and the lock so will remember that for the future, just in case.
Thats also good to know the about the SeaDog catches if we need to replace any of these stuck ones. In the interim we will spray some penetrating type oil in and see if that frees them up.
Kind regards
Wayne
Old 17-10-2012, 23:55   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

If your lock is the 'Select' rectangular mortise lock like our ex Maldives and current Athena then there are problems with these locks. We left our Maldives in Bordeaux and when we returned a few weeks later, the key would turn but not unlock. Had to break into the boat by removing a window, not funny at 5 am in the rain and needing to catch the tide down the Gironde in a couple of hours. The lock had fallen apart inside and I had to rebuild it. They are not very well made, insecure (unless they fall apart) and so far I have been unable to find replacement keys and source the manufacturer, supplier or a decent alternative.
I would be interested if anyone has found a good alternative.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 10:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWayne View Post
Thats also good to know the about the SeaDog catches if we need to replace any of these stuck ones. In the interim we will spray some penetrating type oil in and see if that frees them up.
Kind regards
Wayne
The problems with the internal door catches is the 'spring' is plastic, hence they don't take kindly to the wrong lubrication. I've actually swapped parts around to get more life from them.

There are other choices besides SeaDog: Platte River 936939
Old 18-10-2012, 10:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapanui View Post
If your lock is the 'Select' rectangular mortise lock like our ex Maldives and current Athena then there are problems with these locks. We left our Maldives in Bordeaux and when we returned a few weeks later, the key would turn but not unlock. Had to break into the boat by removing a window, not funny at 5 am in the rain and needing to catch the tide down the Gironde in a couple of hours. The lock had fallen apart inside and I had to rebuild it. They are not very well made, insecure (unless they fall apart) and so far I have been unable to find replacement keys and source the manufacturer, supplier or a decent alternative.
I would be interested if anyone has found a good alternative.
The lock cylinder is a regular 4 or 5-tumbler lock and requires frequent cleaning/lubrication as it lives in a very harsh environment. Plus, it's mounted with tumblers down, meaning all the dirt settles on the tumblers. I removed it, sprayed it/soaked it in WD40, blew it out with compressed air and re-lubricated with graphite (which subsequently a locksmith told me was a bad idea, he suggests to use WD40 on the key, don't spray directly into the cylinder). It's been working fine for about a year since then, but I think one should perform routine maintenance to keep it working.

YMMV
Old 18-10-2012, 17:31   #9

Quote:
The problems with the internal door catches is the 'spring' is plastic, hence they don't take kindly to the wrong lubrication. I've actually swapped parts around to get more life from them.

There are other choices besides SeaDog: Platte River 936939
Thanks DotDun I have had a look at the Platte River and noted it as a possible replacement if needed. Not sure whether the plastic construction is a good or a bad thing though.
Wayne
Old 18-10-2012, 17:37   #10

Quote:
The lock cylinder is a regular 4 or 5-tumbler lock and requires frequent cleaning/lubrication as it lives in a very harsh environment. Plus, it's mounted with tumblers down, meaning all the dirt settles on the tumblers. I removed it, sprayed it/soaked it in WD40, blew it out with compressed air and re-lubricated with graphite (which subsequently a locksmith told me was a bad idea, he suggests to use WD40 on the key, don't spray directly into the cylinder). It's been working fine for about a year since then, but I think one should perform routine maintenance to keep it working.

YMMV
The detailed info is very helpful and we will use as guidance. As always regular maintenance is the best strategy to cut out these problems.
DotDun have you been able to have a locksmith cut a duplicate key for your lock or is there something special about the blank required?
Wayne
Old 18-10-2012, 17:42   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

Had a heck of a time finding key blanks for my FP cat. I would think finding a replacement tumbler would be even tougher. Try Blue Dog Keys in Florida. They got me the key blanks I needed for spares. Odd locks are their specialty.

And the word about WD-40 is good advice. I spray mine once a month or so.

Good luck with it.

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 18:28   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefp60 View Post
Had a heck of a time finding key blanks for my FP cat. I would think finding a replacement tumbler would be even tougher. Try Blue Dog Keys in Florida. They got me the key blanks I needed for spares. Odd locks are their specialty.

And the word about WD-40 is good advice. I spray mine once a month or so.

Good luck with it.

Mike
S/V Vivo
Hey Mike thanks for the input, that is very helpful as I only have one key for the lock that is not yet working properly. We will get it working but I will want to obtain a spare key or two in the future.
WD-40 seems to be the popular choice.
Regards
Wayne
Old 19-10-2012, 06:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWayne View Post
DotDun have you been able to have a locksmith cut a duplicate key for your lock or is there something special about the blank required?
Wayne
No, I've tried but the blanks are not common and the locksmith didn't seem too interested in doing much research. I can't blame him for not wanting to invest time to chase blanks for <$5 sale.

I did chase replacement cylinders and found some that look like they would work but probably require some modification. That's when I decided to try a little harder to save the original one. I'll keep maintaining this one until it dies completely, then worry about it.

I have a bookmark here, must have been where my research led me.

MVP Cam Lock
Old 19-10-2012, 22:03   #14

Boat: TBA

Hi Aussie,

if the lock that Dotdun has shown on the link is what you have then they are available at most locksmiths in QLD they are commonly used in acces panels to buildings and also on tool box locks that most tradies ,4x4 and caravans use in Australia, the lug on the rear may differ but these can often be interchanged with the old one.

a good locksmith is in Township dr Burleigh West.
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2012, 04:56   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclmck View Post
Hi Aussie,

if the lock that Dotdun has shown on the link is what you have then they are available at most locksmiths in QLD they are commonly used in acces panels to buildings and also on tool box locks that most tradies ,4x4 and caravans use in Australia, the lug on the rear may differ but these can often be interchanged with the old one.

a good locksmith is in Township dr Burleigh West.
Two issues scared me away from simply ordering a cam lock that looked close. First, there isn't much room to play with in that door frame, in fact, almost zero room. Second, the pitch/travel of the cam has to be almost exact to the original.

Again, I was searching and bookmarked that site, don't take that as an exact replacement, in fact, I'm almost certain modifications will be required.

Tags
salon