Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2011, 14:13   #91

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Re: Sail Drives and Props

I replaced the dipstick cap about 2 years ago with a screw in fitting that has a normal garden hose snap on fitting and my hose length is approx 2 feet and I have the other end supported up high.This enables you to use snap on fitting when you want to check the oil and also change the oil from the top of the sail-drive.
Guess with oil coming out the top of sail-drive via screw in dipstick cap could be a faulty o-ring.If you replace with hose system you will not have that happen as pressure does not build up.
Cheers
Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:20   #92

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Props

Mahe’s

I received two reports of folding props falling off the sail drives. One prop on a Mahe 36 and the other on a Lipari 41.
Please make sure that you have a good stainless steel locking tab and that you make sure it’s folded tight up against the bolt when you install your folding props. These props have a three way safety lock on them. If the first one is not properly done over time the two other locks loosen up and fall off.

Mark
Attached Images

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:20   #93

Boat: Lagoon L42

Can anyone confirm that FP supply 16 x13 fixed two-blade props on Mahe's with the D1-30 Volvo? Thanks!

Regards,
Chuck
s/v Normandie
RoadRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:33   #94

Hi Cotemar. Could you send me the VP 130S-B saildrive manual.

Bobby B
Bobby B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 07:55   #95

Boat: Foutaine Pajot Mahé 36 Evolution (#126)

Hi, I have a diver coming over to clean my boat hull next week. I have the d1-30 with fixed props (2 blades). I saw all the references for the zinc anodes for d1-30 (foldable props 3 blades). Are the zinc references the same? I am asking this question as I doubt the 3 small anodes close to the prop are are the same. Thanks for your help.

Alex
Clipperton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 08:23   #96

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"

Alex
The zincs are different on the folding prop verses the fixed 2 blade. check out marinepartsexpress.com or zinc anodes, volvo saildrive anode, volvo penta anode, volvo zinc for the proper zincs.

Scott
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2012, 08:35   #97

the sail drive ones seem to be the same (Volvo Sail Drive Split Ring Zinc Anode [3888305])
this is for the prop zincs that it seems different.
I have looked marine parts express in details (so as boatzincs.com which by the way is way less expensive) but I don't find details on fixed blades vs folding blades).
Old 17-06-2012, 10:02   #98

It wold be news to me if there is a separate zinc for the fixed prop other than the saildrive zinc. There is the prop and a nose cone that is attached via a set screw, no zinc like on the folding props.
Old 17-06-2012, 11:59   #99

hum, that is very different then. I sent the question to FP. Let's see as well what the diver will say.
Old 17-06-2012, 16:29   #100

I'd be intersted if F-P even responds to your question. You can ask Volvo USA, they seem to respond better about these type of questions. I have personnally changed the zincs, pulled the props and replaced the bottom seals in the saildrives and have never seen any other zincs than the ones for the saildrives I referenced. The props are totally isolated from the drives, in fact the spindle gear in the fixed prop is plastic (no metal to metal contact). Also, having had the boat for 5 years, I have found that the zincs last a very long time, I replaced them for the first time after 3 years and they were only 25% used (all zincs should be replaced after 50% depletion). I bought new ones on ebay for $35 for a pair (both saildrives), so shop around. Make sure you have the diver take a small screw driver (I have also used a wire coat hanger) to clean out the 3 intake hole on the leading edge of the drives, here in Florida they get plugged up easily with growth, lost an impeller in the Keys 2 months ago because my diver didn't do a very good job before I left for a 2 month cruise.

Scott
Old 17-06-2012, 19:05   #101
DtM

Not just the three lateral holes but also go up from the bottom through the hole there as well.

Make sure you clean out your primary strainer after you run the engine for 10 minutes or so.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 18:26   #102

I did receive the answer from FP today. They are always pretty responsive.
They says that on fixed propellers there is only one zinc (the two pieces circle that goes on the sail drive and that is the same as the ones references for the folding 3 blades.
Thanks for the advise regarding the cleaning.
I will see what the diver says and by default I will order the parts on boat zinc.com
Thanks again
Old 19-06-2012, 01:08   #103
DtM

I use a length of coathanger that I have bent a loop/hook into the end to get well up the saildrive to clean out "shell".
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 04:28   #104

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

I do the same as Dtm, but with a long length of 12 gage copper wire with a loop/hook into the end. Been using copper wire, so it will not corrode as I leave it in my tool cabinet all year long.

I usually clean the sail drive once a month just using the wire and my mask and snorkle. Just amazing how much growth and shells that come out of their.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	42477   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	42478  

Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 05:39   #105

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Do yourself a HUGE favor and install a separate thruhull for the engine intake and cap off the saildrive intake (or use it for some ancillary equipment). If you are in high growth areas, you will be diving every couple of days to break up growth and pull crap out of the saildrives.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote