Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2019, 02:44   #1

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50
SABA 50 How does FP do the Lecomble & Schmitt Autopilot Integration to Garmin?

Hello everyone,

Helia 44 here, now Blessed to own the Big Sister a 2015 SABA 50... i am the Poster of the series "Improvements to the Helia 44" and now the current saga "Improvements to the Saba 50".... A chronic tinkerer improving the Marine Engineering as much as possible..

It is getting to Yachting Season again Down Under, and the Saba 50 "Serenity" will be heading north to the islands in the GBR (Great Barrier Reef) in about 5 weeks. Sort of July to November in the GBR, beach combing, snorkelling, exploring, and all the rest..

Now on this Post, I pretty much Single Handle the Saba 50, my Wife helps a little, but is a bit challenged with health issues so I pretty much Single Handle. Now my most important Crew Member is the AUTOPILOT...

I like to carry spares for most critical items: I mean like windlass parts, YK3 watermaker parts, that sort of thing. I would like to have the principle components for the autopilot on a plug in and play basis. This weekend, in three days, the SCIBS is on, and FYI one of the biggest Boat Shows in the Southern Hemisphere, the Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show, SCIBS. Anyway, great place to source gear in the technical section. My problem is I do not know what to source for component plug and play pieces for the Autopilot. Here are my questions:

The drive units are easy, I have the 2015 Lecomble & Schmitt two way hydraulic ram system with original paperwork, and the Lecomble & Schmitt hydraulic motor assembly. This appears to be original equipment from Fountaine Pajot. Easy Peasy, I get the source here in Australia and depending on the expense either buy the spares or get the contact for the spares if I need them.. If they are not readily available in Australia, there is another reason to own them. If they are not ridiculous in price, it is better to have them on board than the money in the bank..

1) What I don't understand, at all, is how the Garmin integrates to the Lecomble & Schmitt.. I have the 8000 Series Garmin mapping and plotters. The Garmin 8012 at the chart table, and the 8008 at the helm. As I understand it, they can run independently if I just move the mapping card from the 8012 I can run the boat from the 8008. I also have Navionics on my IPhone, so in a pinch I can plot and navigate from that off the satellite, and I also have full charts and Nav gear like the Old School I am. So the compass that runs the Lecomble & Schmitt hydraulic autopilot, is that Garmin ( embarrassed that I have not found it yet) But I am assuming it is on a bulkhead hidden in the starboard cabin under the helm. On the Helia, it was a Garmin compass..

2) So the Garmin Compass, runs the Lecomble & Schmitt power hydralic drive for the autopilot? So I could have a spare compass, plug and play, as well as the Lecomble & Schmitt drive units plug and play... Right?

On my Helia, I was over the top a bit, and even had a plug and play spare Garmin 5000 series Nav system. Look, this is a big yacht, and I can run her fine, but the autopilot is almost a necessity to do that..

So can anyone tell me more about the Fountain Pajot Garmin interface to the autopilot? Am I missing something, or is it just that, the way Fountain Pajot does it?... I have the Garmin GHC 20 Autopilot head unit on the helm. Maybe I need a spare of that as well..

So, Garmin AP head unit, Garmin Compass, and the two components of the Lecomble & Schmitt hydraulic drive units. That should about do it, right? Or do I need the rudder position meter down there as well? Probably... Hmmm

Thank you in advance, Skipper on the Saba 50 "Serenity"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7205.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	192504   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7208.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	192505  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7210.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	192506  
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 16:12   #2

Re: SABA 50 How does FP do the Lecomble & Schmitt Autopilot Integration to Garmin?

Hello you Connoisseurs of Fine Yachts!

Oh boo boo, I thought of another part of the puzzle.. There has to be a big relay system somewhere to constantly change direction of that power head for the hydraulic autopilot...

THAT is probably the most fragile part, those relays clacking in and out all the time as the autopilot hunts back and forth correcting course and changing the rotation of the hydraulic pump???

Lecomble & Schmitt Distributors for Australia got back to me already:

Hi Steven,

Thank you for your enquiry, in answer to your question yes we will be a SCIBS, stand 1.
If you send us the pictures of your we can see if we have a ram to suit on hand.

Best regards

Jean Lindsay
Sales support & logistics
TMQ International Pty Ltd

So that part is easy, I guess that and Garmin at SCIBS should have the answers... If any of you are interested I will post the results of my research here..

Best regards, Skipper of the Saba 50 SERENITY
Old 07-06-2019, 18:09   #3

Re: SABA 50 How does FP do the Lecomble & Schmitt Autopilot Integration to Garmin?

Turns out:

Garmin Compass head unit down in the lower lockers somewhere, runs the L&S directly... Hmmmm...

Sooo, I will have to get a spare, plug and play, if it is the current model..

And the L&S pump, needs a spare... But the Ram, they suggest a rebuild kit of all the seals and o-rings... So, that is in the wind...

Best regards, Helia 44, now Blessed to be on my Saba 50
Old 10-06-2019, 06:17   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

On my Saba #2 with Raymarine electronics, the autopilot compass is mounted above the top shelf in the hugh starboard side pantry. If you have a washer installed there, then perhaps your compass was relocated to somewhere under the nearby salon seats.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, garmin, Saba