Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-12-2013, 07:10   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia
Saba 50

Yesterday on Facebook, Fountaine Pajot teased that a new model would be announced today. Their website now lists the Saba 50, which appears to be a replacement for the Salina.

Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

It looks like she's got the same lounge deck concept as the Helia, but also adds a sunbathing lounge on the foredeck. Another Berret Racoupeau design, she looks very similar to FPs most recent releases. Here are the basic characteristics listed:

LOA: 14.98m / 49.15 ft
BOA: 7.99m / 26.21 ft
Draft: 1.25m / 4.1 ft
Displacement: 15.7t
Sail Area:
Genoa: 53m2 / 566 sq ft
Main Sail: 74.7 m2 / 797 sq ft
Looks like she comes in an Owners version with 1 owners suite + 3 guest cabins, or a Quintet version with 5 cabins + 1 crew quarters. Anyone have any additional info?

StarryHorizons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 13:51   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2008, Lipari 2011, Hélia 2013
Re: Saba 50

She resembles to Helia but the sail area to displacement ratio is way worse.. Unlike Helia, the front cabines are transversal and under the bridge and the hulls look quite bulky. Add to this the increased windage, the sail perfrmance doesn't look very promissing.
The space that she offers is claimed to be more than the Lagoon 52 and she is better looking. I believe FP will sell quite a lot.
It is sad though to see that FP is increasingly lagoonised.. We cannot blame them, this was the market is demanding.
I will have to look more seriously to Nautitech..

Cheers

Yeloya

Old 06-12-2013, 15:52   #3

Boat: FP Mahe 36 CATATUDE

StarryHorizons,

Good find. Your right, it looks like the Salina 48 is no more and the SABA 50 is the replacement.

The Helia 44 has been a huge success for FP. I can see why they would carry those good elements over to a larger model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FP Saba 50.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	71635   Click image for larger version

Name:	FP Saba 50_a.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	71636  

Name:	FP Saba 50_b.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	71637  
Old 07-12-2013, 07:29   #4

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
.....It is sad though to see that FP is increasingly lagoonised..
I agree.

All of 'em are building heavier boats with bigger sails, taller masts, requiring electric winches.

I think Leopard is looking better for form/function. Owners/Liveaboards don't want sun decks, in tropical/sub-tropical, you're trying to get out of the sun. I guess the pictures look inviting to a charterer from the frozen north.

I'll stick with my bulkhead helm and foam core in <20k lbs.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:05   #5
SVI

Boat: FP Salina 48 / owner / evolution

Motor-cruiser for a charter market
From official sources:
Salina vs. Saba
Displace: 10.5t vs 15.7t (!)
Sails: 78m2 main + 54m2 genoa vs 74+53 (joke)
Engines: Volvo D40 vs. D55
Fuel: 480 liters vs. 940(!) )))
Old 07-12-2013, 18:14   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

It seems to me that a cat with LOA of 50 feet is pushing the limits of what a typical cruising couple would choose for their own boat. A boat this large would be difficult (though not impossible) for two people to handle on their own, and the cost of such a boat would be prohibitive for most.

With the Helia and the Lipari already available in the "sweet spot" of the low-mid 40 foot range, my guess is FP decided their line up was missing a boat that could be presented as an entry level, premium charter vessel and the Saba was developed with this in mind. As you guys have noted, her specs don't indicate she'd be an amazing performer, and all the lounge areas seem set up for a boat with lots of guests.

The fact is that a boat this size would have a limited private owner market and developing the model with an eye towards a potentially larger charter market makes sense from a financial standpoint. Afterall, FP is a publically traded company...
StarryHorizons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 19:15   #7

StarryHorizons,
Your spot on about a LOA 50 boat being the limit for a cruising couple to handle.
Only a few couples I talked to could handle it and feel comfortable. I talked to a very nice couple at the Annapolis boat show last year and they had been cruising on a Lagoon 50 and they said it had been tweaked to allow them to sail it double handed.

The Saba 50 looks to be designed to entertain a lot of couples in a lot of locations on the boat. The charter market would be a great place for a boat design like this.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:10   #8
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SVI,

Salina is claimed 10,5 t while Helia is 10,8 t.. I've sailed both extensively, Salina can no way be 10,5 t, my guess she weights min. 11,5-12 t.
We don't have enough date or picture but seems that Hull length to hull beam ratio also is not promissing.
My guess is that Saba will be one of the slowest cat within FP range. But who cares ? I am pretty sure they will make their projected sale numbers. Extensive volumes + attractive prices (starting from 575.000 € list price) and good looking boat = $$$$$$$$
Cheers
Yeloya
Old 08-12-2013, 05:08   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

The Helia is a home run, the Saba will be a grand slam. We now have three Helia's in bareboat service and they are very popular boats. This boat will fill a nice spot in both bareboat and crewed service. Right now if an owner wants an owners version his revenue will be hurt by the three cabin layout of the current offerings. This boat with the owners version still having four full cabins and heads will charter well and still have a suite. The full blown crewed charter version will be popular for the crewed charter business. Doing US charters it could be run as a six pack boat with a crew suite forward, outside the US it could be run as a ten pax boat. Without a doubt the sun decks and saloon layout are designed for the type of entertaining that eight adults or a large family do on vacation/charter.

Hopefully the FP guys will get the davits right. This boat needs a big tender and the problems with davits on the Mahe, Lipari, and Helia should let them know that the davits and tender size are important. It should be set up to handle a fourteen foot tender and the weight of the drivetrain for it as well.
Jay
Old 08-12-2013, 18:36   #10

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
FP's new offering the SABA 50.

This link to view the new model.
Catamarans Fountaine Pajot
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01   #11

Boat: 1983 oday 22'
Re: FP's new offering the SABA 50.

That is a beautiful design. I love the spacious cockpit.. it almost reminds me a little of the Isara 50 in the cockpit area. I also like the fact that there is seating in the forward cockpit, and also up above...it doesn't show an options for a 3 cabin configuration. that's a shame... I wonder if they will incorporate any of these features into their smaller sized boats.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:27   #12

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi scarlet, if you look at the He'lia 44 you will find most of the features apart from the foward seating. The SABA is very much a larger version of the He'lia.
Gordon.
Old 11-12-2013, 14:00   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

For charter use, sure this boat will work. But for live aboard or owner cruising, I'd pass. Two things that are important to me are bulkhead helm station and dingy davit system. At least they got rid of the IMO stupid system of storing the dingy under a sun lounge. I have no idea what this boat will cost set up for cruising but off the cuff, I'd pay a good $150k more for a St. Francis.

Am I the only cat owner who wants a truly bad-ass dingy? The set up on a St. Francis and Voyage allows you to put a 14 to 15' dingy with a center console on it easily on the back and not have it rocking all day long.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/palarran/
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 14:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Am I the only cat owner who wants a truly bad-ass dingy? The set up on a St. Francis and Voyage allows you to put a 14 to 15' dingy with a center console on it easily on the back and not have it rocking all day long.
For a 10' and 85lbs dinghy, this one is bad ass for its size. Its as big as I can go on the FP Mahe 36. It a sports car on the water. It turns on a time at any speed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Catatude_Cat_Dinghy1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	71918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catatude_Cat_Dinghy4.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	384.0 KB
ID:	71919  

Old 11-12-2013, 14:51   #15
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
For charter use, sure this boat will work. But for live aboard or owner cruising, I'd pass. Two things that are important to me are bulkhead helm station and dingy davit system. At least they got rid of the IMO stupid system of storing the dingy under a sun lounge. I have no idea what this boat will cost set up for cruising but off the cuff, I'd pay a good $150k more for a St. Francis.
Agree, I wouldn't consider this boat for any kind of serious crusing or circumnavigation.
By the way, I've checked the sail area to displacement ratios of recent FP models; Saba is the worst ever after Sanya and 20% less than Helia or Orana.
Meanwhile FP has announced a record sales number for 2013, thx to their success with Helia. So, who cares about the sail area, increased weight or davids.
More space + larger and higher fly bridges + sitting/partying area everywhere on the boat + reasonable price = $$$$$$$$$$$$

I have no clues on St Francis price but Saba will cost app. K 700 € including the A/C , genset, etc..

Cheers

Yeloya

Tags
fountaine pajot, Saba, saba50

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: