Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-08-2014, 08:20   #46

Re: Rig and Sails

Here are some videos of setting the code zero and the jib for a wing and wing configuration. It was a great time and we had good speed without the main. This may help for a poor man's parasailor. That will be the next sail to add to the inventory.

https://vimeo.com/103548017
https://vimeo.com/103548018
https://vimeo.com/103548019

Old 16-08-2014, 08:24   #47

One thing that I learned is that a new sailor has a steep learning curve. So, I will post some of my learning here on the use of a code zero since when I got the yacht, I had no clue on how to deploy. Picture credits go to North Sails in Annapolis who were great in helping with the learning curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Undue Halyard  for Code Zero.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	86682   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 Block on Mast.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	86683  

Name:	03 Attach Head of Code Zero.JPG
Views:	241
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	86684   Click image for larger version

Name:	04 Foot of Code Zero.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	86685  

Name:	05 Code Zero Foot Sheet.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	86686   Click image for larger version

Name:	06 Starbord furling line for Jib.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	86687  

Name:	07 Port Furling Line for Code Zero.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	86688   Click image for larger version

Name:	08 Detail of Code Zero fulring Line.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	86689  

Name:	09 Code Zero Raised.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	86690   Click image for larger version

Name:	10 Furling Line Detail for deployment of Code Zero.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	86691  

Name:	11 Sheet Detail for Code Zero.JPG
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	86692   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 Port Sheet and furling Line.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	86693  

Old 16-08-2014, 08:26   #48

remaining pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12 Port Sheet and furling Line.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	86694   Click image for larger version

Name:	13 Port Sheet for Code Zero.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	86695  

Name:	14 Unfurling Code Zero.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	86696   Click image for larger version

Name:	15 Fully Unfurled Code Zero.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	86697  

Name:	16 Furled code Zero.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	86698  
Old 02-12-2014, 06:20   #49

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Help please!

We officially completed our Bay of Biscay passage at 5:30am local time yesterday, and immediately got to work having engines serviced and fixing a few other items.

The biggest issue we had during our passage across Biscay is that our first reef line experienced some severe chafing. We did have the mainsail re-rigged for the square top attachment while we were in La Rochelle, so I'm not sure if they re-ran all the lines as it comes from the factory, or if they changed things and unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the gooseneck before they did their work.

We've been to a rigger who re-ran the lines through the boom, but I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how everything is set up. The new lines are as follows:

Multi-colored Blue: 1st Reef (currently on the farmost starboard track)
Green: 2nd Reef
Silver: Outhaul
Dark Blue: 3rd Reef

Can anyone share pictures of the setup from the factory, or share their thoughts on this set up?

I would think that I should move the 1st reef line to the outer track on the left side of the boom so that it had a bit more clear of a run up to the reef point and then back down to the block on the starboard side of the mast. What do you think?

Thanks!

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7967.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	176.2 KB
ID:	92727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7968.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	92728  

Name:	IMG_7970.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	200.4 KB
ID:	92729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7971.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	92730  

Name:	Suggested Modification.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	92731  
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:37   #50

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

You need to put a block on that shackle where the main sail is. The shackle it runs through now is cutting the reef line. This is very common.

Jay
Old 02-12-2014, 07:59   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjay View Post
You need to put a block on that shackle where the main sail is. The shackle it runs through now is cutting the reef line. This is very common.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Adding a block to the shackle on the mainsail is something we decided to add to our list while we're here in La Coruņa.

However, that's not what caused the chafing on the line. The chafing was actually caused by the white line that holds the sailbag to the boom. I believe I figured out what happened.

When Incidences re-rigged our sail after modifying squaretop attachment, they ran the 1st reef line around the tack of the sail over to the port side, rather than running it directly from the sheave on the boom up to the reef point. As a result, there was a significant amount of friction between the reef line and the little white line.

I'm now trying to figure out if it will be better to re-rig to the factory method (without running the line around the tack), or if the picture with the proposed modifications that I attached earlier would be a better set up.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:04   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

Thanks for the post, Starry Horizons. Congrats on your first ocean passage.

That is some significant chafe!! As Capt. Jay mentions you will have to put a block at the reef cringle points on tack and clew to reduce the friction and the line destruction. We used low friction rings to keep down the mass and cost hanging on the sail.

Your line rearrangement thoughts make good sense to me. Is there any reason you cannot have the reef lines go up and back down on the same side of the sail? Another note, we put the nylon strap through the tack cringle for reef #1 and #2 and then retension the halyard. Seems crazy when #1 is autoreef; however, it may help raise the tack off of the boom somewhat.

Fair winds from Let It Be

s/v Let It Be
onthehook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 13:59   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
Thanks for the post, Starry Horizons. Congrats on your first ocean passage.

That is some significant chafe!! As Capt. Jay mentions you will have to put a block at the reef cringle points on tack and clew to reduce the friction and the line destruction. We used low friction rings to keep down the mass and cost hanging on the sail.

Your line rearrangement thoughts make good sense to me. Is there any reason you cannot have the reef lines go up and back down on the same side of the sail? Another note, we put the nylon strap through the tack cringle for reef #1 and #2 and then retension the halyard. Seems crazy when #1 is autoreef; however, it may help raise the tack off of the boom somewhat.

Fair winds from Let It Be
I believe the factory set up is to have the first auto reef run up and down the starboard side of the sail, which makes sense given which sheave it uses in the boom. I can pretty easily re-rig back to the factory method, but now I'm just wondering if there are benefits of re-rigging as I proposed in the picture...
Old 02-12-2014, 18:31   #54

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44

Not sure if these help, but I have attached some photos of how its done on MapleCookie. No issues with chafing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GOPR5726 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	92786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7620 - Version 2.jpg
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	92787  

Name:	DSC_4221.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	92788  
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40   #55

Thanks everyone for all the assistance. Between everything posted here and what people sent me directly, I believe I figured out how to re-rig everything. We're going to be leaving Spain for the Canaries in the next few days and I'm definitely going to keep a very close eye on things!
Old 07-12-2014, 00:38   #56

Great to see SH in action. Re: the auto reef system I previously posted that I had to re-revs the lines in the boom to reduce friction to allow the reefing system to work. All was good, but we still ended up with chaffing on the 1st auto reefing line and on the leather covering on the clew of the main. we addessed these issues but are now cautious not to not to pull down that first reef too firmly so that the foot of the sail is sitting slightly above the boom. I found this allowed the main to set better and allowed for a neater fold of excess sail into the boom bag. My experience trying to put 2nd and 3rd reefs in in 30+knots and 5m seas was ok with the straps, but I would consider changing the gooseneck bolt to a two sided hook and sew webbing handle to each reefing point to asset in hooking the reef point eye to the gooseneck hook bolt. This was how it was done years ago on my fathers boat and it may make reefing easier. Or it could be just a soft spot for how dad did it.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:13   #57

Alright, I have another question, that I almost hate to ask because it makes me feel like such a rookie, but I again request the assistance of those who know more than me.

We have had several issues dropping our main. Whenever we drop the main to store or reef, the battens without cars along the luff seem to catch the wind and go flailing about, preventing the sail from dropping. Of course this is worse at higher wind speeds when we want to reef. I've tried a couple of different ways to drop the main:

1) Trying to flake the halyard on deck and letting it run clean through the stopper. This has worked the best, but the line still gets enough twist that it won't run free and the sail starts to billow.

2) Dropping the halyard a bit at a time while pulling in our 3rd reef to try and keep tension in the sail, but since the 3rd reef line only runs to the leech, it doesn't help along the luff.

Can those of you with more experience provide any advice/suggestions on how to manage the main? Do you have to go to the base of the mast to pull down the luff every time? I haven't had these issues with any of the other boats I've sailed so I'm a bit at a loss.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:41   #58

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Obvious question: Are you pointing into the wind when you drop the main?

I also found that 14mm line with any age on it (expands as it gets older) doesn't run thru a the Spinlock clutch freely with a 8-14mm cam in it. I upgraded all my clutches that have 14mm line to 12-16mm cams. Now there is zero drag thru the clutch.

Of course, I have to go to the mast every time, my halyard isn't at the helm. Also, all my battens are attached to batten cars.
Old 14-12-2014, 09:50   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Obvious question: Are you pointing into the wind when you drop the main?
Haha, that's a fair question and yes, we point into the wind when we drop the main.
Old 14-12-2014, 13:28   #60

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44

We have the same problem. Made worse by a main halyard which has stretched and forms twists which are wicked to undo. It will drop about halfway on its own, but then I have to go on the coachroof forward and flake it the rest of the way while someone else deals with untangling and feeding the halyard. A real pain.

Tags
sails

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: