Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 14:06   #361

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Re: Rig and Sails

Hi Jonno.
I don't have the ISP measurement but I can dig out the spec sheet for the Assym that Quantum made. That should have it.
That sail was 84sq. I personally thought it would have been better flying a but higher off the prodder. IE: shorter ISO.
Travelling at the moment so may take a day or two.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:29   #362

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Cheers, thanks Martin.
No rush though, more out of curiosity than need at the moment.

I was just thinking I should give you a yell to catch up. We are in the process of moving down to wollongong at the moment, but if you're travelling my guess is you're on the way to the med....
Jonno732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 00:59   #363

Yup, in London and back on board around the 20th. Then to try out my new Hood 115 sqM Assym on the Lucia! Pity we can't catch up in Sydney. Will have to when we get back.
Old 19-11-2017, 13:15   #364

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
Re: Rig and Sails...mainsail batten hardware

All:

Back on 05-22-14 I posted a FAQ regarding the chore of reinstalling battens. I always felt there must be an easier way. I've since learned more about the batten system. See below pix for reference.

The two aluminum pieces closest to either end of the white batten sail fitting thread into it. It's threaded throughout internally which is how batten installation/tensioning is aided. The batten is fed into the batten sail pocket until it reaches the aft batten fitting at the sail leech. Then the forward plastic batten fitting aluminum 'screw' (at right in pix) that faces the batten is threaded in until the plastic fitting holes line up with the sail holes. The set screw prevents the aluminum screw from moving. The plastic fitting is secured to the sail with other hardware not pictured. The rest of the hardware at left in the pix is fit together, then attached to the sail car.

My boggle: Most of my assemblies are in various states of seizure and/or stripped. Some of the hardware (plastic and aluminum fittings) are unique to this setup. Should I order them from F-P (shudder) or try (Mack Sails?) a sail loft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sail hardware 2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	159419  
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 13:42   #365

The batten car system is Z Spars so I assume the batten fittings are as well. Have a look at their website. I did find a lot of spare parts listed on the UK site when I was looking for other mast related fittings..
Old 19-11-2017, 14:09   #366

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
All:

Back on 05-22-14 I posted a FAQ regarding the chore of reinstalling battens. I always felt there must be an easier way. I've since learned more about the batten system. See below pix for reference.

The two aluminum pieces closest to either end of the white batten sail fitting thread into it. It's threaded throughout internally which is how batten installation/tensioning is aided. The batten is fed into the batten sail pocket until it reaches the aft batten fitting at the sail leech. Then the forward plastic batten fitting aluminum 'screw' (at right in pix) that faces the batten is threaded in until the plastic fitting holes line up with the sail holes. The set screw prevents the aluminum screw from moving. The plastic fitting is secured to the sail with other hardware not pictured. The rest of the hardware at left in the pix is fit together, then attached to the sail car.

My boggle: Most of my assemblies are in various states of seizure and/or stripped. Some of the hardware (plastic and aluminum fittings) are unique to this setup. Should I order them from F-P (shudder) or try (Mack Sails?) a sail loft.
I always left the plastic part fitted to the sail.

Taking off the sail for winter: I removed the mast-facing bits pictured on the left, and then used a long allen head to remove the large aluminium screw pictured on the right. Once this screw is out the batten easily slides out through the plastic fitting.

Fitting the sail back on just means reversing the procedure. Easy to put some tension on the batten

My Lagoon 380 has the same fittings as the Mahe. I don't know if its a ZSpar fitting? Maybe it has been supplied by the original sailmaker (Incidences for both).
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 14:29   #367

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36

I'm thinking the plastic and aluminum fittings are unique to the sailmaker.
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 08:54   #368

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
Should I order them from F-P (shudder) or try (Mack Sails?) a sail loft.
Try Bainbridge (I would guess Mack would get the parts from Bainbridge).
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 10:06   #369

Boat: Mahe 36

If this has been discussed, sorry. I can't seem to have much success with the "Search" function.

Has anyone fitted a square or flat head mainsail to an earlier '06, Mahe? Mine is pretty tired and would like some input from others who may have.

I've had 15 years of experience with the evolution of the designs on lighter Multihulls and don't want to repeat some of my more costly mistakes.

Cheers
Rufduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 01:21   #370

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Red face Re: Rig and Sails

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIsle View Post
A sailing instructor taught me that if you coil the main halyard on a catamaran after the sail is raised, you put a twist in the halyard which does not come out because the halyard is attached to the mast at the top. The twist gets worse with every hoist, and eventually the halyard becomes very difficult to raise or lower. The solution is to flake the rope in figure "8"s instead of coiling it.
Good morning.

...very old post.... however. I am just back from a charter trip on a Mahe36. Couldnt get the main sail down. After trying all kind of things, we had to climb up the mast, just to find out the main halyard was twisted like hell and that kept the sail from going down.

Very little wind at all. I dont want to get into such a situation with strong winds.
Old 16-02-2018, 13:42   #371

Boat: Mahé 36

Hi Rufduck,
Not much reactions on your question about the square head mainsail…

I am also planning to change to a square head main on my 2006 Mahé so I am very curious if you got any further with your research.

There was one guy on this forum who has done the same, see post #136 in this thread (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-38590-10.html ). His has sold his Mahé a few years ago now owns a Switch 51.

As you can read he was very happy with the new main but he warned me about the forces on the mast. You will of course have much more power in the top of the sail (that’s the whole idea) and the top part of the mast is unstayed (some 2,5 to 3 metres). The pressure on that unstayed part of the mast will be great so he strongly suggested to add jumper stays there to support the mast. What do you think about that?
Jan Jaap
sailingjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 08:19   #372

Looking at the Mahe and like everything about the boat except the lack of suncover over the wheel. I have seen pictures of a small add-on bimini which looks very vulnerable in a surprise wind shift.

I like the extra visibility but the wife will nevr take a turn at the wheel if she is in direct sun....

Has anyone raised the boom, shortened the main (top) to provide head room all the way across?
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 09:34   #373

Hello All,
Bought A Mahe 36 a bit over a year ago. Replaced/added the electronics, toilet, electrical, plumbing and reefing. This forum has been the best learning curve I could have hoped for. Thank you all!
I am looking at adding a Forespar multihull sprit kit. My worry is deflection in the forward beam. The factory bowsprit runs all the way back to the midship. The folding sprit relies solely on the beam and lines run down to the lower bows. Is this a good idea? I will add the running gear per original factory at the port and starboard stern. I will be flying a code zero. Thanks!
TGBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 18:23   #374

Boat: Fountaine Pajot

I added a forespar multihull bowsprit to my Lipari last year. No structural issues. I haven't seen any structural issues on any of the forums. Bought the kit and the sail (asymmetrical spin) from Mack Sails in Stuart, Florida. They have done numerous installs. Very competitive price, sail custom made to boat specs, installed 100% by Mack who traveled at no extra cost to Annapolis to install the hardware, rigging and deliver the sail. Also should join the FP Facebook group, as it has even more info than this forum.
Seapatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2018, 14:47   #375

Boat: Mahe 36

Hi

I have had my 2012 Mahe from new but did not have the factory bow sprit. I bought a spinnaker pole that is long enough to attach to the bridge deck. This is supported by 2 dyneema stays to low on each bow.

The compression on this when a code 0 is highly tensions has to be seen to be believed. The front beam is NOT designed to take compression in this direction but in the direction of the seagulls sticker, I.e. upwards via the forestay
cuffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36, paracelle