Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2008, 13:04   #16

Boat: Mahe 36
Spifurl

Oh yes, we tried our best to take a full picture of the spifurl, we could not fit it onto the frame of the camera. It is enormous.

The accelartion when we put up the spifurl was great.
kev&jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 13:44   #17

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Kev&Jo... Do you know who makes the continuous line furling drum? I want to replace my standard drum with continuous line but I can only seem to find silly prices - over £200 - just for the drum!

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 13:56   #18

Boat: FP Tobago 35
That sounds cheap!

Just be aware of the fact that the continous line ones aren't much use for partial furling of a sail, so only for a Code 0 or asymmetric.

regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 14:41   #19

Boat: Alura 30
Congratulation on your new boat.I know I was super excited when we got our in Guadeloupe.OK here is the question to the pros.Genneker or spifurl? may be Philippe Guillemin could comment on that? I am no expert but I have the feeling that this would be a great addition to the Mahe.
JC.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2008, 23:50   #20

Nordic cat (Alan) – we are planning this year to go to the Canaries then across to the Caribbean, so should get my monies worth out of the Spifurl. We have done a lot of cruising/diving up the Norwegian coast and loved it. I will without doubt look you up if we make it over to the Baltic, I like reading your comments and your knowledge is evident.

Jeannius (Mike) – I will get some details for you on the continuous line from the office.

JC – Thank you for the kind comments and you know how I am feeling at the moment

The picture is what is at the opposite end to the drum, nice piece of kit, a high quality bearing race.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	3348  
Old 18-04-2008, 00:18   #21

Boat: privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev&jo View Post
The wait is over, I have just taken delivery of my new boat, which includes the bowsprit and spifurl, which FP said it was the first mahe to have one!

It is fantastic and very simple, it is huge and good for upto 25Knts so they say, not sure I would be brave enough to go that far.

The pictures above is our boat with Jo in the picture, so lets have some more.

I am really pleased I bought the spifurl and bowsprit.

By the way the boat is fantastic, it was the right choice!

One very happy owner

she looks great but now you have a mahe 39' an in many marinas this gets you into the 12m price band.
so some sort of retracting pole may have more up front cost but could save in the long run
philip van praag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 00:29   #22

Boat: Leopard 46 Cat "Tulliana"
Kev & Jo
We are currently about to spec a furler for our bowsprit. The picture looks similar to the Bamar Rollgen unit made in Italy? The only other unit I have found on the market is the one by Facnor but again very expensive.

We are also in two minds about a Code 0 option that can be fitted on the bowsprit but it seems the amount you can use it is limited between 50 to 90 deg and supposidly very difficult to trim?
Adaero
Adaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 00:37   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
That sounds cheap!

Just be aware of the fact that the continous line ones aren't much use for partial furling of a sail, so only for a Code 0 or asymmetric.

regards

Alan
Alan... It's for a furling gennaker so just want full out or full in, nothing in between.

Old 18-04-2008, 10:01   #24

Mike - you are absolutley correct, it all or nothing no trimming with a spifurl.

Philip - I will take my chances with having the bowsprit and at the same time enjoy the additional speed of that extra 3 foot.

Kev & Jo
Old 18-04-2008, 10:08   #25

Adaero / Mike - the model is a Facnor FX2500, hope this helps.

Kev & Jo
Old 18-04-2008, 11:47   #26

Boat: Catana 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaero View Post
We are currently about to spec a furler for our bowsprit. The picture looks similar to the Bamar Rollgen unit made in Italy? The only other unit I have found on the market is the one by Facnor but again very expensive.

We are also in two minds about a Code 0 option that can be fitted on the bowsprit but it seems the amount you can use it is limited between 50 to 90 deg and supposidly very difficult to trim?
Adaero
I'm currently in the process of adding a sprit for a Code 0 on a continuous furler. The Facnor is on my short list. (See a recent issue of Practical Sailor for a comparison review of multiple furlers. Very informative.) My intent is to round out my sail inventory with the Code 0. In consultation with my sailmaker we're aiming to add better light to moderate 120 to 60 degrees apparent capabilites filling the gap between my quite heavy 150% genoa (terrific upwind and moderate to heavy foresail) and symmetrical spi (terrific DDW to about 120 degrees apparent).

The challenge with non-foil Code 0 sails is gaining sufficient low stretch luff tension. I'm planning on a 2:1 halyard of about 10mm V-100. This means the sprit and rigging likewise has to be substantial enough to take the loads.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 11:56   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev&jo View Post
Adaero / Mike - the model is a Facnor FX2500, hope this helps.

Kev & Jo
Great. Thanks for the info. Whereabouts in the north west are you?

Just looked up the price of the Facnor FX2500 and it's around $1600 for drum and swivel. My search for a cheap drum goes on!

Old 18-04-2008, 13:24   #28

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
JC.Spi furl is the best of both worlds....You got the Gennaker and assymetrical spinnaker combined into one.Obviously the sail is deeper and fuller than a gennaker ( code 0 or screecher) so will not let you use it very close to the wind .Also lighter material but we are in boating world here and everything is a compromise.Anyway congratulations to the member of the Mahe family and good sailing on a reach
pguillemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 14:25   #29

Boat: FP Tobago 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
I'm currently in the process of adding a sprit for a Code 0 on a continuous furler. The Facnor is on my short list. (See a recent issue of Practical Sailor for a comparison review of multiple furlers. Very informative.) My intent is to round out my sail inventory with the Code 0. In consultation with my sailmaker we're aiming to add better light to moderate 120 to 60 degrees apparent capabilites filling the gap between my quite heavy 150% genoa (terrific upwind and moderate to heavy foresail) and symmetrical spi (terrific DDW to about 120 degrees apparent).

The challenge with non-foil Code 0 sails is gaining sufficient low stretch luff tension. I'm planning on a 2:1 halyard of about 10mm V-100. This means the sprit and rigging likewise has to be substantial enough to take the loads.

Dave

Dave, make sure that your stays, and stay attachments are up to the job! I have been through 4 or 5 versions, before I finally got what i needed. The forces using a Code 0 are incredible! For your size boat I would go minimum ½" wires for the stays. I would reccomend that you have some 316L brackets made that attach on the outside of the bows, down low, that go across the bow inboard to attach the stays. This spreads the force to both sides of the hulls.

You need to be aware of the large force that works nearly horizontally on the forebeam. If your forebeam doesn't have a beam in the middle going back to the bridgedeck, you can either add one, or else, do like I did.
I made an "horisontal dolphin/seagull striker" that is fitted on the aft side of the forebeam just under the tramp. It is made of 12 mm wire. The "height" is around 10-12", and it attaches to a couple of hooks that attach to the outer edges of the forebeam.

Before adding this I was getting nearly an inch of deflection in the beam!

My code 0 is 70 m2 and made of kevlar, the halyard is Dyneema, 12 mm. No purchase on the halyard that stays on the selftailer.
Once the whole bowsprit was working OK, i managed to bend the top 2m of my mast and had to replace the mast. The Code 0 is a masthead version. I was inattentive, on a reach of around 80 degr. relative, sailing round an island. As the wind went forward, I just trimmed the sail, the boat accelerated to 12-13 knots, it was great, until I noticed the luff was sagging. Looking up, the top of the mast had bent about ½ a metre!
That's how you burn 10 grand!!! NOT SMART.

I use a German made Bartels endless furler in a size IV, that will handle up to 100 m2 Code 0, and larger asymmetrics/screachers.

The list prices are: Endless furler size IV (180 mm diameter) 570 Euros
Swivel to match: 290 Euros
In total around 1300 US$

I didn't check if they have a US dealer, but their site is here: frameenglisch

The prices are on page 1 of their price list.

It has worked well for me for more than 6 years. Just ease the halyard a few inches before rolling the sail up.

My new mast has an extra set of spreaders to support the top.

Regards

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 16:41   #30

Boat: Catana 471
I appreciate the cautions, Alan. I assure you I am not approaching this casually.

Thanks,
Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36, paracelle