Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 13:48   #1

Boat: Outremer 55 Light
Removal of Liferaft Recess in Rear of Lavezzi

Hi All....(especially Lavezzi owners!)

I need to get into the area under the back of the cockpit floor between the davit posts on my Lavezzi. There are vertical fiberglass supports there between the arch and the cockpit floor and the putty at the top has cracked making it noisy when the hull flexes. I need to get in, reputy and glass it....but how to get in?

I can see it from the very rear of the aft cabin when I take the wood panels off...but you would need to be a snake to slide in through there.

The best way by far to access this area would be to remove the plastic liferafe recess between the davit posts. It looks like it's held in place by screws and silicon, but unfortunately the silicon looks like it goes around an "L" shaped section so couldn't be cut away with a razor blade.

Has anybody removed the liferaft recess from their Lavezzi?
Or know some other way to get into this area?

Any help would be much appreciated....thanks.
Cruisin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 13:21   #2

Re: Removal of Liferaft Recess in Rear of Lavezzi

Hello Cruisin Cat,
I have a 2004 Lavezzi and I have had my Life Raft Compartment out. My Boat "Caribbean Spirit" is in charter with TMM in Tortola. My port side davit was loose and wobbling up and down. Ther are two bolts holding each davit to the mounting surface. I tried to tighten the bolt through the small access on top of the davit, but the bolt would just spin when I turned it. I had to get under the davit mounting bolt and hold the nut with a socket and long extension. First I removed all the screws from the outer edge of the life raft compartment. Then I scraped/cut all the silicone from under the "lip" where the screws were holding the compartment into the recess. This was somewhat difficult and will take some time and patience. It's a tight fit, but once you get most of the silicone off you can "jiggle" the compartment and it will pull out. The area behind the compartment is not that large as it only goes back to the point the wall of the storage compartment under the cockpit bench seat, but this is were you can get to the nuts on the dvait mounting bolts. I am not sure if it will get you access to the point you are trying to get to.

I hope this helps,

Glenn G
Glenn4533 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Lavezzi, liferaft, removal