Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 00:37   #1

Propeller/Rudder Clearance

We are considering purchasing a Belize but have read on the forum that there is insufficient room between the propeller and rudder to fit a folding propeller. Can anyone confirm this. Does anyone have a side-on photo of this area of a Belize, or even better, dimensions from the centre of the prop hub to the front of the rudder.
Thanks
kenrobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 04:47   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Propeller/Rudder Clearance

The rudder clearance is very close on a Belize 43 as you can see from the picture.

A Folding prop would not work, but a Feathering propeller may work.

Autostream "S" series 3 blade sail drive Feathering propeller
http://www.seahawk.com.au/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Belize43_Rudder_a.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	50339  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:35   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobmac View Post
We are considering purchasing a Belize but have read on the forum that there is insufficient room between the propeller and rudder to fit a folding propeller. Can anyone confirm this. Does anyone have a side-on photo of this area of a Belize, or even better, dimensions from the centre of the prop hub to the front of the rudder.
Thanks
I will confirm there is 10" between the 'spacer' (I call it a thrust bearing) on the prop shaft and the rudder. If in fact the folding prop blades were hinged on the very front of the hub, which I've never seen such a beast, it may work.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 11:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
The rudder clearance is very close on a Belize 43 as you can see from the picture.

A Folding prop would not work, but a Feathering propeller may work.

Autostream "S" series 3 blade sail drive Feathering propeller
http://www.seahawk.com.au/
Cotemar, are you sure this is a Belize? The rudder looks to short and fat (or the picture is mess with the aspect ratio).
Old 28-11-2012, 15:55   #5

Thanks all for the comments, dimensions and photo. The information provided is making our due diligence assessment all the more valid. Do either or both Cotemar or DotDan own or have ownered a Belize. If so would you be prepared to have a more detailed and far reaching email exchange about the Belize
Thanks
kenrobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 16:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenrobmac View Post
Thanks all for the comments, dimensions and photo. The information provided is making our due diligence assessment all the more valid. Do either or both Cotemar or DotDan own or have ownered a Belize. If so would you be prepared to have a more detailed and far reaching email exchange about the Belize
Thanks
Owned hull #91 for 9 years, sitting on it now. Feel free to PM me.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:05   #7

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43

Hello, i did the mistake of buying two folding props when I bought our Belize in 2007. They did not fit due to the distance between the leg and the leading edge of the rudder!
I was.in contact with FP and they advised that the only prop to use other than the fixed is as Cotemar mention, a feathering type. FP advised that Autoprop would be suitable. I have also checked with Kiwiprop, but it also do not fit, but are closer. I asked if the blades could be modified to fit, but they advised against it, hence lost a sale.

In other treads in the forum a few people has lost props and would not spend the money and risk loosing a very expensive feathering prop.

I was dissapointed that a folding prop could not be fitted as I hate the poor performance of the fixed two blade alu props' but again that's life, otherwise love the Belize.

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 09:59   #8

Boat: Simpson 42 Cat
Send a message via Skype™ to Amurruman
Re: Propeller/Rudder Clearance-KiwiProp

Disclaimer, I am the agent for KiwiProps in North America and a cat owner. One of my customers approached me recently at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show and said that while he really liked our props, they would not fit his Belize cat per this thread. I thought that was strange as we've done a half dozen or so Belize cats, and literally hundreds of cats with saildrives including my own. There does appear to be a clearance issue with the rudder that would preclude most folding propellers, but given that we've put them on Belize cats, and the approx. measurement given in this thread of 10" clearance, I don't see a problem. We will verify with this new customer, but feel free to contact me if you want more info. A couple of proper pics with a scale would be great as well.. Fair Winds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sizing Diagram.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	90181   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sizing Diagram2013.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	306.6 KB
ID:	90182  

Amurruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 11:13   #9

Re: Propeller/Rudder Clearance-KiwiProp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amurruman View Post
Disclaimer, I am the agent for KiwiProps in North America and a cat owner. One of my customers approached me recently at the Annapolis Boat Show and said that while he really liked our props, they would not fit his Belize cat per this thread. I thought that was strange as we've done a half dozen or so Belize cats, and literally hundreds of cats with saildrives including my own. There does appear to be a clearance issue with the rudder that would preclude most folding propellers, but given that we've put them on Belize cats, and the approx. measurement given in this thread of 10" clearance, I don't see a problem. We will verify with this new customer, but feel free to contact me if you want more info. A couple of proper pics with a scale would be great as well.. Fair Winds
This thread is discussing folding props, Kiwi offers feathering props. Yes, it makes sense that feathering props will work.
Old 24-10-2014, 10:07   #10

Boat: Simpson 42 Cat
Send a message via Skype™ to Amurruman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I have also checked with Kiwiprop, but it also do not fit, but are closer. I asked if the blades could be modified to fit, but they advised against it, hence lost a sale.

Happy lead free sailin
Lucky

Was just responding to this reference to KiwiProps only. Our props fit, no modification required, we have done about a half dozen Belize 43 with good results.
Amurruman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 05:59   #11

I have also explored this pursuit of feathering props for my Belize with 40 HP Yanmars and believe it is possible. I have been considering Autostream and Kiwi Prop
John Blundell of Kiwi Props has been very informative and helpful.

Kiwi Props recommendation for my boat is as follows

Quote:
Wayne
Thank you for your interest in our Kiwiprops.
We are very familiar with the 3JH3 rated 40 hp @ 3800 which is very high by engine standards
and have fitted a large number to SD40's with 2.31:1 redn. as well as to shaft installations.
For this who wish to attain close to max rated rpm of 3800 we would suggest
fitting our 16.50" x 22º - 16.50" nominal which equals 17" @ the tips for traditional measurement.
However most - now that these engines are well out of warranty choose larger 17" x 22º
units which constrain max rpm to a little over ~ 3200 - 3400 - depending on vessel, loading etc
and in return obtain a higher cruise speed at typical cruise rpm of mid - high 2000's.
You would not now want to ever run at full throttle as this would overload the engine.
and

Quote:
We have fitted 4 FP Belize 43's previously without any space problems so don't see any space issues here.
Our units require 210 mm from the front of the spline - thrust face on shaft when feathered.

The photo shows ~ 140 minimum to the upper closest point on the rudder at maximum diameter
to the end of the spline which is ~ 80 long so 220 to the front of the spline which allows for the 210 no problem.
Also these are much smaller blades than the 19.50" example shown and with the rake will occupy less than 210.

Have a look at SPACE REQUIRED K3 Space Required

http://www.seahawk.com.au/images/S2profile.pdf

Photos show original 16'' x 13 2 blade fixed prop, Autostream paper plan x 2 and physical measurement of available space.

I am still deciding which way I will go but am leaning towards the Kiwi Prop but do have some concerns on blade life and robustness?
Hopefully this is helpful
Kind regards
AussieWayne
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00368.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	90369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140531_165837_resized_1.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	90370  

Name:	20140531_165854_resized_1.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	292.3 KB
ID:	90371   Click image for larger version

Name:	P11302861.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	90372  

AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:28   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Belize 43 ft

Has anyone from this forum fitted a feathering prop to their FP Belize. I am currently looking at the Seahawk Autostream but see that the dimensions are very marginal and it maynot fit.
GSwannell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:31   #13

I realise this is old subject.

I have a 2005 Belize. From new the boat was fitted with Volvo 3 bladed folding props. The engine are the 29HP.

I can send photo if needed.
Waterman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote