Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 19:51   #91
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
Posts: 123
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

BTW, if anyone's looking for a drop in replacement for the Mahe head sink faucet/shower head combo, Home Depot has one by Glacier Bay, P/N 886-323, price $40 USD. We're not big fans of the 'Early American Janitors Closet' look of the original, nor this one, but it's cheap, fits, and works well.
__________________

__________________
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 20:01   #92
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
Posts: 123
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

Now another problem. Our water flow has been intermittently low lately. Thinking it was the pressure switch but not having a spare and wanting a complete spare water pump anyway I replaced the old Johnson 2.9 GPM pump with a new Johnson 5.2 GPM pump. Same problem. Thinking low voltage, I powered the pump with a 13.8 VDC, 50 A (I'm a ham radio operator), regulated supply. Same issue. I see no evident leaks at the pump. Other than a collapsing hose I can't think of anything else. Such collapsing hose would have to be the supply hose to affect both hot/cold sides. It certainly leaks fast enough when I'm swapping pumps, so I doubt the collapsing hose theory!
__________________

__________________
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 07:27   #93
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fort Pierce, FL
Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
Posts: 123
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

I should mention that during the 'low flow' instances, the pump itself is running very slowly. If I had a large enough leak in a line somewhere, I'd expect the pump to run fast, just as if I had several taps open.
__________________
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 12:02   #94
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,028
rain catchment

I read in the following review that the Mahe Evolution improvements include a rain catchment system, collecting water from the roof:

http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...-Evolution.pdf


I would be interested how this system looks, how it works and if it can be retrofitted into the pre-evolution models?

Thanks
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:39   #95
Registered User
 
RKsailsolo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: St Paul, US
Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Posts: 706
Re: rain catchment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I read in the following review that the Mahe Evolution improvements include a rain catchment system, collecting water from the roof:



http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...-Evolution.pdf





I would be interested how this system looks, how it works and if it can be retrofitted into the pre-evolution models?



Thanks

Seems like it's in how the coach roof is molded, I.e., a designed in channel at the edges that direct broad horizontal surfaces that catch rain and channel it towards two drains with valves that control flow into the tank. It requires that your clean your surfaces first before letting it drain.
__________________
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:37   #96
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,051
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
Now another problem. Our water flow has been intermittently low lately. Thinking it was the pressure switch but not having a spare and wanting a complete spare water pump anyway I replaced the old Johnson 2.9 GPM pump with a new Johnson 5.2 GPM pump. Same problem. Thinking low voltage, I powered the pump with a 13.8 VDC, 50 A (I'm a ham radio operator), regulated supply. Same issue. I see no evident leaks at the pump. Other than a collapsing hose I can't think of anything else. Such collapsing hose would have to be the supply hose to affect both hot/cold sides. It certainly leaks fast enough when I'm swapping pumps, so I doubt the collapsing hose theory!

I'm a mono hull but don't think that matters here.
I had a very similar problem, mine ended up being a piece of lime scale, like a little rock in the dip tube in the water tank. I had two water pick up points in my tank, one for a manual pump and when I switched the two my problem went away, pointing of course to a partially blocked pick up.
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:39   #97
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 17,051
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
I should mention that during the 'low flow' instances, the pump itself is running very slowly. If I had a large enough leak in a line somewhere, I'd expect the pump to run fast, just as if I had several taps open.
Now that sounds like a plug down stream of the pump, not prior, possibly maybe even a kinked hose?
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:29   #98
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,028
Re: rain catchment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Seems like it's in how the coach roof is molded, I.e., a designed in channel at the edges that direct broad horizontal surfaces that catch rain and channel it towards two drains with valves that control flow into the tank. It requires that your clean your surfaces first before letting it drain.
In the meantime i have been to my boat and had a closer look. Its very easy to rig a temporary rain catchment system on the pre-evo models. On both side there is a round slot moulded into the salon roof and the eyebrow over the windows to let the water out. All the water coming from the salon roof and mats / sail goes through these slots.

All you need is a piece of 1'' hose to stuff into the slots plus some hoses and connections to gravity feed into the tank. Of course the hose to slot connection is not fully watertight but almost all the rain finds its way into the tank. If there is more rain than the hoses can take there is still an overflow at the mast to relief the excess.

This will hopefully deliver some of our water needs for showering, dishes and laundry.

For drinking water i am installing a Katadyn PS40e plus a separate 40l water tank which will overflow into the main tank when full. The new tank has a separate pressure pump plus a separate faucet in the galley.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 15:34   #99
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 26
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

Our faucet has developed a leak on the hot water side. Does anyone know what model of Jado faucet this is & where to get a replacement cartridge? Or does someone have a good replacement recommendation?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151125_171915.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	113817  
__________________
qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 18:48   #100
Registered User
 
Jef & Marin, Netherlands's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Liveaboard
Boat: Switch 51 #10
Posts: 452
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

When you install a rainwater catching system I recommend to use hoses that are either under deck or, when above the deck, do not transmit light. Otherwise you get a lot of algae, dead and alive, in you water tanks. So if you use non-black hoses, consider the white ones which have an aluminium (anti-smelly) layer halfway the hose material.
Another good alternative is to use the Gardena type of hose couplings just above the side windows, and only attach the hoses in case of (expected) rain. I would take the Gardena system one size up from standard, and 3/4" hoses instead of 1/2".
Before you let it go in the tank you will have to flush anyway, otherwise you get all the dirt of the roof. Also consider some filtering means, gauze-type or somthing professional in a filter holder.

Good luck with your Mahé's! I still like them, despite having a 51' since 2014...
__________________
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 05:59   #101
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,028
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtmspin View Post
Our faucet has developed a leak on the hot water side. Does anyone know what model of Jado faucet this is & where to get a replacement cartridge? Or does someone have a good replacement recommendation?

Thanks!
I found a drop-in replacement faucet on ebay for 60 euro that matches the style. looks good after the first season. But beside normal hot/cold it also has an additional on/off valve and a separate outlet for drinking water (coming from our separate drinking water tank). If that's of interest for you I can dig this out.
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 06:15   #102
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Winter Germany, Summer Med
Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Posts: 1,028
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
When you install a rainwater catching system I recommend to use hoses that are either under deck or, when above the deck, do not transmit light. Otherwise you get a lot of algae, dead and alive, in you water tanks. So if you use non-black hoses, consider the white ones which have an aluminium (anti-smelly) layer halfway the hose material.
Another good alternative is to use the Gardena type of hose couplings just above the side windows, and only attach the hoses in case of (expected) rain. I would take the Gardena system one size up from standard, and 3/4" hoses instead of 1/2".
Before you let it go in the tank you will have to flush anyway, otherwise you get all the dirt of the roof. Also consider some filtering means, gauze-type or somthing professional in a filter holder.

Good luck with your Mahé's! I still like them, despite having a 51' since 2014...
I made a set of 1" and 3/4" hoses that I can just plug into the slots above the windows when it rains and I know the roof is clean enough to collect rain water. It's stored below when not in use for exactly the reasons you mention.
We filter it through a strainer only to keep any solid stuff out. We use tank water strictly for shower and boat cleaning so we don't need to be super critical when taking on water or collecting rain. The tanks in the Mahe are not removable and hard to inspect. I don't consider water in 8 year old tanks of unknown history to be drinking water.

All our cooking and drinking water comes from the watermaker feeding a separate tank, pump and faucet. The separate tank & pump is a small unit that is easily removed for cleaning and sanitizing so we can be sure the clean water from the watermaker stays clean. Any surplus water gravity feeds into the main tank.
Best concept I have seen so far!
__________________
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 12:22   #103
Registered User
 
rgary's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: East coast
Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36
Posts: 18
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

Does anyone know the Manufacturer/Model number of the head's lavatory/shower mixer with pull out shower head. My shower head is leaking and I wanted to see if I can replace just the head part of the assembly. I have a 2009 Trio version. Closest thing I can find on-line is a Scandvik Model 70201. I saw the other post in this thread on the Glacier Bay unit available from Home Depot, but I want to stay with the contemporary look of the original hardware.

Any leads?

Rgary
__________________
rgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 16:00   #104
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 26
Jado leaking handle repair

Left the boat for 3 months, came back and the faucet was leaking from the handle. Here are some picture to help you take it apart and identify some parts. It was fixed by cleaning the inside of the faucet where the cartridge fits with vinegar and steel wool. I also put pipe thread tape on the large nut that holds the cartridge in. I unscrewed the handle, then used small hex to remove the bolt. Next part is the round ring, it screws off, I had to soak w/ vinegar and use pliers while my wife held the faucet. After that it's self explanatory. Well worth the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160517_170517[1].jpg
Views:	79
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	124515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160517_173255[1].jpg
Views:	87
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	124516  

__________________
qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:07   #105
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Abersoch
Boat: Mahe 36
Posts: 2
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

I seem to have a leak on the water inlet pipe to the water tank.The only way to access it seems to be to get into the anchor locker.I am 6' 2" and the pipe is on the starboard side which is the smaller side of the anchor locker.
I am unable to crawll into that space to get at it.
Is there any other way to access it or do I need to find a smaller person to do it?
__________________

__________________
ardnagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mahe 36

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Perkins 4-108 Water heater plumbing RETTSIE Engines and Propulsion Systems 26 07-10-2017 09:44
Pressure Water Plumbing - PEX, etc. Christian Van H Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 95 09-12-2011 22:13
Water Heater Plumbing Issues Zydeco Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 5 06-01-2010 15:39
Plumbing New Water Tank and Watermaker witzgall Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 8 30-09-2009 15:37
Water Tanks Plumbing Help!!! Please surfingminniwinni Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 23 11-04-2008 16:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:50.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.