Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2014, 18:51   #91

Boat: Fountaine-Pajot Mahe 36
Re: Plumbing and Water Heater

BTW, if anyone's looking for a drop in replacement for the Mahe head sink faucet/shower head combo, Home Depot has one by Glacier Bay, P/N 886-323, price $40 USD. We're not big fans of the 'Early American Janitors Closet' look of the original, nor this one, but it's cheap, fits, and works well.
Seastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 19:01   #92

Now another problem. Our water flow has been intermittently low lately. Thinking it was the pressure switch but not having a spare and wanting a complete spare water pump anyway I replaced the old Johnson 2.9 GPM pump with a new Johnson 5.2 GPM pump. Same problem. Thinking low voltage, I powered the pump with a 13.8 VDC, 50 A (I'm a ham radio operator), regulated supply. Same issue. I see no evident leaks at the pump. Other than a collapsing hose I can't think of anything else. Such collapsing hose would have to be the supply hose to affect both hot/cold sides. It certainly leaks fast enough when I'm swapping pumps, so I doubt the collapsing hose theory!
Old 03-10-2014, 06:27   #93

I should mention that during the 'low flow' instances, the pump itself is running very slowly. If I had a large enough leak in a line somewhere, I'd expect the pump to run fast, just as if I had several taps open.
Old 23-11-2014, 11:02   #94

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
rain catchment

I read in the following review that the Mahe Evolution improvements include a rain catchment system, collecting water from the roof:

http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...-Evolution.pdf

I would be interested how this system looks, how it works and if it can be retrofitted into the pre-evolution models?

Thanks
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:39   #95

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: rain catchment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I read in the following review that the Mahe Evolution improvements include a rain catchment system, collecting water from the roof:

http://www.multihullsolutions.com.au...-Evolution.pdf

I would be interested how this system looks, how it works and if it can be retrofitted into the pre-evolution models?

Thanks

Seems like it's in how the coach roof is molded, I.e., a designed in channel at the edges that direct broad horizontal surfaces that catch rain and channel it towards two drains with valves that control flow into the tank. It requires that your clean your surfaces first before letting it drain.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:37   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
Now another problem. Our water flow has been intermittently low lately. Thinking it was the pressure switch but not having a spare and wanting a complete spare water pump anyway I replaced the old Johnson 2.9 GPM pump with a new Johnson 5.2 GPM pump. Same problem. Thinking low voltage, I powered the pump with a 13.8 VDC, 50 A (I'm a ham radio operator), regulated supply. Same issue. I see no evident leaks at the pump. Other than a collapsing hose I can't think of anything else. Such collapsing hose would have to be the supply hose to affect both hot/cold sides. It certainly leaks fast enough when I'm swapping pumps, so I doubt the collapsing hose theory!

I'm a mono hull but don't think that matters here.
I had a very similar problem, mine ended up being a piece of lime scale, like a little rock in the dip tube in the water tank. I had two water pick up points in my tank, one for a manual pump and when I switched the two my problem went away, pointing of course to a partially blocked pick up.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:39   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seastream View Post
I should mention that during the 'low flow' instances, the pump itself is running very slowly. If I had a large enough leak in a line somewhere, I'd expect the pump to run fast, just as if I had several taps open.
Now that sounds like a plug down stream of the pump, not prior, possibly maybe even a kinked hose?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:29   #98

Re: rain catchment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
Seems like it's in how the coach roof is molded, I.e., a designed in channel at the edges that direct broad horizontal surfaces that catch rain and channel it towards two drains with valves that control flow into the tank. It requires that your clean your surfaces first before letting it drain.
In the meantime i have been to my boat and had a closer look. Its very easy to rig a temporary rain catchment system on the pre-evo models. On both side there is a round slot moulded into the salon roof and the eyebrow over the windows to let the water out. All the water coming from the salon roof and mats / sail goes through these slots.

All you need is a piece of 1'' hose to stuff into the slots plus some hoses and connections to gravity feed into the tank. Of course the hose to slot connection is not fully watertight but almost all the rain finds its way into the tank. If there is more rain than the hoses can take there is still an overflow at the mast to relief the excess.

This will hopefully deliver some of our water needs for showering, dishes and laundry.

For drinking water i am installing a Katadyn PS40e plus a separate 40l water tank which will overflow into the main tank when full. The new tank has a separate pressure pump plus a separate faucet in the galley.
Old 25-11-2015, 14:34   #99

Our faucet has developed a leak on the hot water side. Does anyone know what model of Jado faucet this is & where to get a replacement cartridge? Or does someone have a good replacement recommendation?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151125_171915.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	113817  
qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 17:48   #100

Boat: Switch 51 #10

When you install a rainwater catching system I recommend to use hoses that are either under deck or, when above the deck, do not transmit light. Otherwise you get a lot of algae, dead and alive, in you water tanks. So if you use non-black hoses, consider the white ones which have an aluminium (anti-smelly) layer halfway the hose material.
Another good alternative is to use the Gardena type of hose couplings just above the side windows, and only attach the hoses in case of (expected) rain. I would take the Gardena system one size up from standard, and 3/4" hoses instead of 1/2".
Before you let it go in the tank you will have to flush anyway, otherwise you get all the dirt of the roof. Also consider some filtering means, gauze-type or somthing professional in a filter holder.

Good luck with your Mahé's! I still like them, despite having a 51' since 2014...
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 04:59   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtmspin View Post
Our faucet has developed a leak on the hot water side. Does anyone know what model of Jado faucet this is & where to get a replacement cartridge? Or does someone have a good replacement recommendation?

Thanks!
I found a drop-in replacement faucet on ebay for 60 euro that matches the style. looks good after the first season. But beside normal hot/cold it also has an additional on/off valve and a separate outlet for drinking water (coming from our separate drinking water tank). If that's of interest for you I can dig this out.
Old 26-11-2015, 05:15   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
When you install a rainwater catching system I recommend to use hoses that are either under deck or, when above the deck, do not transmit light. Otherwise you get a lot of algae, dead and alive, in you water tanks. So if you use non-black hoses, consider the white ones which have an aluminium (anti-smelly) layer halfway the hose material.
Another good alternative is to use the Gardena type of hose couplings just above the side windows, and only attach the hoses in case of (expected) rain. I would take the Gardena system one size up from standard, and 3/4" hoses instead of 1/2".
Before you let it go in the tank you will have to flush anyway, otherwise you get all the dirt of the roof. Also consider some filtering means, gauze-type or somthing professional in a filter holder.

Good luck with your Mahé's! I still like them, despite having a 51' since 2014...
I made a set of 1" and 3/4" hoses that I can just plug into the slots above the windows when it rains and I know the roof is clean enough to collect rain water. It's stored below when not in use for exactly the reasons you mention.
We filter it through a strainer only to keep any solid stuff out. We use tank water strictly for shower and boat cleaning so we don't need to be super critical when taking on water or collecting rain. The tanks in the Mahe are not removable and hard to inspect. I don't consider water in 8 year old tanks of unknown history to be drinking water.

All our cooking and drinking water comes from the watermaker feeding a separate tank, pump and faucet. The separate tank & pump is a small unit that is easily removed for cleaning and sanitizing so we can be sure the clean water from the watermaker stays clean. Any surplus water gravity feeds into the main tank.
Best concept I have seen so far!
Old 28-03-2016, 11:22   #103

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe 36

Does anyone know the Manufacturer/Model number of the head's lavatory/shower mixer with pull out shower head. My shower head is leaking and I wanted to see if I can replace just the head part of the assembly. I have a 2009 Trio version. Closest thing I can find on-line is a Scandvik Model 70201. I saw the other post in this thread on the Glacier Bay unit available from Home Depot, but I want to stay with the contemporary look of the original hardware.

Any leads?

Rgary
rgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 15:00   #104

Jado leaking handle repair

Left the boat for 3 months, came back and the faucet was leaking from the handle. Here are some picture to help you take it apart and identify some parts. It was fixed by cleaning the inside of the faucet where the cartridge fits with vinegar and steel wool. I also put pipe thread tape on the large nut that holds the cartridge in. I unscrewed the handle, then used small hex to remove the bolt. Next part is the round ring, it screws off, I had to soak w/ vinegar and use pliers while my wife held the faucet. After that it's self explanatory. Well worth the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160517_170517[1].jpg
Views:	257
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	124515   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160517_173255[1].jpg
Views:	214
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	124516  

qtmspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 05:07   #105

Boat: Mahe 36

I seem to have a leak on the water inlet pipe to the water tank.The only way to access it seems to be to get into the anchor locker.I am 6' 2" and the pipe is on the starboard side which is the smaller side of the anchor locker.
I am unable to crawll into that space to get at it.
Is there any other way to access it or do I need to find a smaller person to do it?
ardnagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mahe 36