Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2014, 00:04   #106

Re: Owners

Hi all. Helia Hull No. 7 '1 Giant Leap' is for sale after 15mths of living aboard. Regretfully we have decided to downsize as Sandy and I found we didn't use the port hull......at all! Except to store dive gear. We will miss this beautiful luxurious boat that has safely transported us for over 8000nm. She's a cracker and as Gordon has just proven in The Larrikan in The Atlantic Odessy, and bloody quick boat for her design and purpose. I know '1 Giant Leap' will be as good to her new owners as she has been to us. If you see a Fusion 40 running around called '1 Small Step' give us a hoy! On a final note our dealer in Australia ' Multihull Solutions' have been incredibly supportive and great to deal with.
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2014, 15:19   #107
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi Tim, sorry to hear you are moving on from the He'lia, but for all the right reasons am sure. Will keep a lookout for your next cat'1 Small Step' seasons greetings Gordon.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:08   #108

Boat: Fountain Pajot Helia 44
Re: Reading a FP Hull Number

We just closed on Hull #86 Helia 44 4 cabin "Blues Traveler." She will be docked in Annapolis for the summer charter season.
Old 09-01-2015, 18:18   #109

hi guys, Im considering buying a new or used Helia, I think it has one of the best layouts I've seen. When I viewed it at the boat shows I saw a few signs that made me doubt the build quality, and the davit issue on the early Helias seemed like a sloppy mistake.....my questions are as owners:
how have you found the quality, does it hold up well to charter or long distance cruising? (particularly compared to lagoon again, but others too)
how is the sailing performance compared to other similar size cats you have been on, particularly vs lagoon if possible?
Are there things that have annoyed you as an owner in terms of design, build quality, or anything else?
Would you make the same decision to buy in hindsight?

I've been looking for a while and getting closer to taking the plunge, will start in the med and then hopefully caribbean, and then wherever I end up!

Other boats I'm looking at are Lagoon 450, Privilege Nautitech, and the new bali 45 by catana.Im planning on chartering a hell in the caribbean probably this year, did the lagoon 450 last year and loved the space but found it slow and a little dull. Don't like exposed helms so catana etc out

Thanks all
gelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 21:21   #110

Boat: Lightwave 45

So you are looking at Privilege, Nautitech, Catana, FP and Lagoon. All very different.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Helia. It is a production boat so same quality as any other. Faster than a Lagoon or a Privilege but not as fast as Catana.

IF you buy any of these brands you will get a good boat. Choose the boat that has a layout that suits you.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:30   #111

thanks CW, Catana I don't like because of the exposed helm, the lagoon, FP and Bali I would have thought all similar, though the build on the Bali I suspect may be better.....Nautitech is a little different I know, and that and Privilege I would have to get a used boat....how have you found yours in terms of the quality, any creaking or rusting rails, or other things that you feel wearing too quickly?
Thanks for the feedback on sailing, you say it's faster than lagoon is that based on experience or on what you have heard?
thanks again
Graham
gelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 16:06   #112

There would be 20 Helia owners on here, and I know four personally. There have been no significant quality problems reported.

As to ability to circumnavigate Gordon's Helia has just done Atlantic rally. First boat over the line with no problems reported.

As to speed anecdotal opinions are useless IMO. You need to refer to statistical data of rallies over time. Whilst not perfect it is a good guide. The old maxim of you can only have two of speed, cost and comfort still applies. Lagoon, Helia, Saba will not do it if you want speed. Look to Tag or Outremer. More cost - less comfort.
Old 17-01-2015, 13:24   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa View Post
Hi all. Helia Hull No. 7 '1 Giant Leap' is for sale after 15mths of living aboard. Regretfully we have decided to downsize as Sandy and I found we didn't use the port hull......at all! Except to store dive gear. We will miss this beautiful luxurious boat that has safely transported us for over 8000nm. She's a cracker and as Gordon has just proven in The Larrikan in The Atlantic Odessy, and bloody quick boat for her design and purpose. I know '1 Giant Leap' will be as good to her new owners as she has been to us. If you see a Fusion 40 running around called '1 Small Step' give us a hoy! On a final note our dealer in Australia ' Multihull Solutions' have been incredibly supportive and great to deal with.
How do you like your Fusion? Would you mind giving us some pros and cons as to how it compares to the Helia?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2015, 16:10   #114

Boat: Irwin Citation 30

Hello Helia 44 Owners,

Al & Connie here, owners of Helia #99 affectionately named the "Freckled Parrot." We currently have her in Annapolis and just started the charter program with Cruise Annapolis.

I want to thank everyone for all the informative posts and contributions to this forum, the details you provided certainly helped us make final selection and configuration decisions when the boat was ordered. We are still in the commissioning process which should wrap that up by the end of the month.

We plan to keep her in charter for the next two or three years and 'follow the sun' between Annapolis and Abaco Islands. After retirement our thoughts are to live aboard and cruise the islands for a few years.

I'm looking forward to reading more good posts and hope to contribute a few of my own as we work through the differences between sailing our new cat and sailing our old Irwin 30.

We had a chance to meet a few Helia owners at the last Owner's meeting hosted by Cruise Annapolis and hope to eventually meet a few of the forum members as we travel back and forth to the Bahamas.

Warm Regards,
Al & Connie Motley
s/v Freckled Parrot

Aemotley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:19   #115

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aemotley View Post
Hello Helia 44 Owners,

Al & Connie here, owners of Helia #99 affectionately named the "Freckled Parrot." We currently have her in Annapolis and just started the charter program with Cruise Annapolis.

I want to thank everyone for all the informative posts and contributions to this forum, the details you provided certainly helped us make final selection and configuration decisions when the boat was ordered. We are still in the commissioning process which should wrap that up by the end of the month.

We plan to keep her in charter for the next two or three years and 'follow the sun' between Annapolis and Abaco Islands. After retirement our thoughts are to live aboard and cruise the islands for a few years.

I'm looking forward to reading more good posts and hope to contribute a few of my own as we work through the differences between sailing our new cat and sailing our old Irwin 30.

We had a chance to meet a few Helia owners at the last Owner's meeting hosted by Cruise Annapolis and hope to eventually meet a few of the forum members as we travel back and forth to the Bahamas.

Warm Regards,
Al & Connie Motley
s/v Freckled Parrot

Congrats on the new boat! Sounds like you have a pretty common plan so good luck with getting ready to live on and enjoy the boat.

Hope you stick around and keep contributing to the forum. I feel the Helia community is a good one and am always happy to meet new members!
StarryHorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 16:50   #116

Boat: Landlocked right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasa View Post
Have you sold her yet? And how do you like the Fusion?
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 22:23   #117

I found your Helia 44 for sale. 2013 Fountaine Pajot - Helia 44 - 1 Giant Leap - Multihull Solutions

I think there must be a typo in the listing price. Even with the low Aussi Dollar right now you can buy a new one for much cheaper than the 815.000 AUD you are asking for.
Old 05-05-2016, 16:25   #118

Firstly, it is not Tim's Helia. It was sold 2 years ago, and is now for resale by the new owner.

Secondly, an equivalent boat imported into Australia would run $1.15 million. once you allow for freight costs, import duty and sales tax.
Old 05-05-2016, 16:42   #119

oops, I did not realise that the post was two years old.

Wow yacht owners in Australia really get ripped off: Look here for the price of similar boats elsewhere:

helia 44 Boats For Sale

1/3 more expensive if one is buying one in Australia.
Old 05-05-2016, 16:54   #120

"Ripped off" is an emotive word. Being on the other side of the world to the factory means the boat has to be delivered by Ship or sailed half way across the world. On top of this you have 10% GST and 5% duty which are government mandated charges.

The uplift is typically 20% or so for any boat, new or second hand.

Further, One Giant Leap, which sits right next to my boat at Mooloolaba is significantly upspecced compared to the boats you reference.