Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2013, 19:25   #61

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
DotDun,
How do you attach that second bridle to a mooring ball. Shackle? Knot? Do you then add a safety line to the mooring ball in addition to the bridle which is your primary attachment?
We have a snap shackle on the bridle. Pull the bridle thru the loop on the ball/painter and attach the shackle above the knot on the bridle. I'm pretty confident in the bridle (14mm twist) and don't use a safety line.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 21:20   #62

Boat: Fountaine Pajot New 45 under contract...
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthehook17 View Post
My wife and I, with an awesome crew of 2 other couples, spent last week on Let It Be our Helia 44 in the BVI's under charter with TMM. We came home from the week as happy about our purchase as when we first saw her at the dock. Here are our first impressions.

The not so good
1. Dinghy davits - They are completely unusable for a dinghy with an outboard. They are much too low to the water and not strong enough. FP is aware of the problem; however, they have not spoken with us or TMM yet about a fix. I cannot see any other fix than a complete redesign. They make wonderful racks for our SUP's.
Saw our Helia (hull #11 - Fat Iguana) for the first time today after she arrived in Annapolis last week.

Apparently, FP has a fix for he davits. They will be raising them & reinforcing where they attach to the hull.

I haven't seen the end result yet, but at least there's a fix in the works. I'll let you know when I see the results.

Dave
dochueb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2013, 23:02   #63

Apparently, FP has a fix for he davits. They will be raising them & reinforcing where they attach to the hull.

I take handover of our Helia in Queensland next Friday. Will the davits fix be a warranty repair or this just a fix for new boats?
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 06:10   #64

I'm assuming a warranty fix, but didn't specifically ask.

Dave
Old 28-04-2013, 07:09   #65
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochueb View Post
Saw our Helia (hull #11 - Fat Iguana) for the first time today after she arrived in Annapolis last week.

I haven't seen the end result yet, but at least there's a fix in the works. I'll let you know when I see the results.

Dave

Is there room for a separate davit for the engine?
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 14:46   #66

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Is there room for a separate davit for the engine?
That would be not a satisfactory fix for most if not all owners. Most would be using 15 hp plus on their RIBS and taking the outboard off dingy every time is untennable.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 23:04   #67
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

Hi All,
We are currently in La Rochelle taking delivery of hull#12, a 3 cabin owners version. We were blown away when we saw this boat for the first time. After owning an Orana for four and a half years we thought thas was 'the boat'. How they have re designed this 44' boat to achieve what they have is stunning, especially the owners cabin.We do not have a lounge in the cabin but a continuation of the desk with beautiful large draws and extra cupboard under.
This boat has so much stowage areas that you woill have to be careful not to overload the boat!
For the Australian and New Zealand buyers the arrangement now with MHS and Uchimata Sailing Services supported by FP, picking up here in La Rochelle has be a very positive experience. A word of advise though is you must have all your options and extras sorted will before the boat is built and the delivery process will then be quite smooth.

The latest on the davit isssue is that the factory are aware and are addressing the problem.
We leave here for Spain early next week and can give our impression on the sailing performance. We have had a few sails locally and have been impressed, she sails a little faster than the Orana and tacks very easily with light breezes. We also flew the ParaSailor chute, wow what a great sail.Looking forward to more sailing downwind with it.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:49   #68

Does anyone know the length between the hulls at the stern of a Helia?

Biggest dinghy she'll reasonable carry?

Dave
Old 08-05-2013, 14:49   #69

Boat: Hélia 44 -sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochueb View Post
Does anyone know the length between the hulls at the stern of a Helia?

Biggest dinghy she'll reasonable carry?

Dave
I do not know the exact distance between the two hulls but all I can say, is that until FP has changed the currently insufficient davits (too low and too fragile), you have to be humble regarding choice of dinghy and outboard. The less the better!
We made several tests on our Helia:
At the bottom end, the only realistic choice of dinghy that is acceptable for its weight is the 3.10 m. Zodiac; the 3.40 is better in terms of length, but is too heavy and it did not really fit..
We also decided to downgrade the outboard requirement and chose a Suzuki 6HP, because a bigger engine was too heavy and shook the davits too much. It is true that we have not been in very difficult sea conditions with the dinghy chosen but so far so good, no major problems.
Nevertheless, you will have to change the attachment points for the dinghy because the current davits do not allow you to raise the outboard without it banging on the davits. I know that FP will provide new ones. You will also need some additional attachments to avoid the dinghy swinging.

I know that FP have made the redesigned davits for future production higher, better set and much stronger, but a certain time may pass before they change all the currently defective ones that have already been sold and shipped…. If you insist, as usual with FP, they may respond to you sooner.
They are fully aware the first of the series had serious problems and so I’m sure they will do their best.

A propos of modifications, have you heard anything about the steering mods that are being rolled out already retrospectively?

domuzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 00:25   #70
DtM

Remember that the squeaky wheel gets the oil when dealing with FP
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2013, 23:01   #71
Marine Service Provider

Posted image of tender clearance after factory mod to davits in' davit and dingy' topic.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1235748
Old 18-05-2013, 20:40   #72

Steering modifications have already been done on our boat by MH Solutions in Australia and Davit mods are being done in next couple of weeks. This boat is going to Sanctuary Cove so don't know when the davits will be finished. These guys are on to it!!.
Nasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2013, 07:07   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by domuzes View Post

A propos of modifications, have you heard anything about the steering mods that are being rolled out already retrospectively?
Answer from Bay Yacht:

There has been a known problem with the steering system on the
Helia's. The Telflex unit originally provided proved insufficient when the
autopilot was engaged as that the rudder feed back to the steering hub was
too great. They have supplied all the boats with replacement steering
systems. We have yours in hand.

DH
Old 21-05-2013, 05:17   #74

Does anyone know REAL mast height. I've seen 63'7" listed and 20.44 m (67') both listed.

The real #?

Dave
Old 21-05-2013, 05:57   #75
Marine Service Provider

Hi Dave,
As FP call it, Air draft (without antenna) 20.45m/67.1 ft.