Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 16:57   #121

Boat: Landlocked right now.
Re: Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
"Ripped off" is an emotive word. Being on the other side of the world to the factory means the boat has to be delivered by Ship or sailed half way across the world. On top of this you have 10% GST and 5% duty which are government mandated charges.

The uplift is typically 20% or so for any boat, new or second hand.

Further, One Giant Leap, which sits right next to my boat at Mooloolaba is significantly upspecced compared to the boats you reference.
No offence intended. I was just surprised. I stand corrected: 1/5 not 1/3. Ahe only thing you can do against taxes is
adoxograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 17:33   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwjohm View Post
Further, One Giant Leap, which sits right next to my boat at Mooloolaba is significantly upspecced compared to the boats you reference.
However if you look at the listings of new Helia 44's in the above link 1 Giant Leap must have been hell of upspecct. The price for a new one (standard configuration) is ~700.000 plus 20% for Australia is 840.000. Around 200.000 of improvements.

Btw. I did some more research into this particular boat. It's listed as 2013 but she was called Curiosity and toured some boatshows in 2012 before she was renamed 1 Giant Leap. How can that count as 2013? She had 2 owners in 4 years.
Old 05-05-2016, 19:20   #123

Boat: Lightwave 45

Yes, at least $200K in improvements - probably more. My boat has A$250K in improvements for instance. The base boat price you quote requires considerable upgrades to bring to cruising spec.

As an example boat supplied in the last month out of La Rochelle was A$850k. This was pretty specced up but not to that degree of 1GL. It was sailed out of La Rochelle, but if shipped to Australia this boat would run $1.1 million.

This is not to say that 1GL is priced correctly. I suspect it will sell somewhat under the asking price. However, it is always difficult to compare prices of different boats due to geographic location and specification, and then you have to form a view on applicable depreciation.
cwjohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 19:49   #124

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

In answer to the year model thing our lipari was built in July 2013 but Fountaine go July to July for year model so ours is based on the HIN a 2014 model

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 20:21   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dod42 View Post
In answer to the year model thing our lipari was built in July 2013 but Fountaine go July to July for year model so ours is based on the HIN a 2014 model

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
The french are known for being a bit cheeky

According to Tim's posting here in this forum in 2012 1GL was build in late 2012 and presented at the Düsseldorf Boatshow in Jan 2013 with the name Couriosity. I guess therefore the serial number will reveal a 2012 boat.

But I guess you are right. It is by all means a 2013 boat as she was not commissioned before mid 2013

I was looking for Helia 44, Lagoon 450, Leopard 48 or Lagoon 52. I sailed the 450 and the Leopard and was on board of the Helia and a Flybridge 52. I did not like the flybridge but I like the new 52 Sportop. I hope I'll get chance to look at one soon. Right now let me dream of the bigger boat
Old 03-11-2021, 14:57   #126

Boat: FP Helia 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dochueb View Post
My guys (Bay Yacht Agency) are currently telling me that according to FP, the 63'6" number inaccurate, & that the Helia is not ICW compatible. Got a guy shimmying up the mast with a tape measure to get a real #...

Dave
All - you are all correct the standard mast from FP Helia 44' air draft is the 67.1' without antenna's. There is a specific ICW mast you can change to or select that is ICW friendly (the 63'6" version). Standard Helia masts are not repeat NOT ICW friendly.
Douglaskimkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 14:34   #127

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by adoxograph View Post
The french are known for being a bit cheeky

According to Tim's posting here in this forum in 2012 1GL was build in late 2012 and presented at the Düsseldorf Boatshow in Jan 2013 with the name Couriosity. I guess therefore the serial number will reveal a 2012 boat.

But I guess you are right. It is by all means a 2013 boat as she was not commissioned before mid 2013

I was looking for Helia 44, Lagoon 450, Leopard 48 or Lagoon 52. I sailed the 450 and the Leopard and was on board of the Helia and a Flybridge 52. I did not like the flybridge but I like the new 52 Sportop. I hope I'll get chance to look at one soon. Right now let me dream of the bigger boat

Get the Leopard 48, its by far superior to all the others you mentioned, much better quality build and sails the best of all of them....just look at the main sail and you know what I am talking about.

My 40ft Lavezzi has more main canvas up in the 3rd reef then all of them with 0 reef, except the Leopard 48.
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 14:40   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglaskimkaty View Post
All - you are all correct the standard mast from FP Helia 44' air draft is the 67.1' without antenna's. There is a specific ICW mast you can change to or select that is ICW friendly (the 63'6" version). Standard Helia masts are not repeat NOT ICW friendly.

Whats an ICW friendly total airdraft? Below 20m or 64"?
Old 06-02-2022, 14:34   #129

Boat: Looking for next boat

I'm looking at purchasing a Helia 44 later this year. My partner and I will be living aboard while cruising the world for at least 5 years. I'm in the process of getting as much information as I can. I would prefer the Maestro (3 cabin) version but there are not many for sale. I would consider a 4 cabin version if one of the front cabins can be converted into an office. Does anyone know if this is possible?
What is under the bed? If it was removed can you get to the floor?
Any thoughts and information on this much appreciated.
Pebbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 16:51   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a Helia 44 later this year. My partner and I will be living aboard while cruising the world for at least 5 years. I'm in the process of getting as much information as I can. I would prefer the Maestro (3 cabin) version but there are not many for sale. I would consider a 4 cabin version if one of the front cabins can be converted into an office. Does anyone know if this is possible?
What is under the bed? If it was removed can you get to the floor?
Any thoughts and information on this much appreciated.
Market is so dry, consider every Helia thats in acceptable condition doesn't matter if 3 or 4 cabin version and have other make and models as backup or you will get nothing. Move fast and decide quick if one is available or you get nothing. A boat is a big compromise, be flexible....
Yes you can convert one of the front cabins into an office BUT when you wanna cruise the world you need much more a separate workshop and storage room or have tons of money let boat yards and craftsman (mostly you get lucky to get someone) do the job and get ripped off.
The salon or outside satee makes a much better office anyhow
Old 07-02-2022, 04:35   #131

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44

Under forward bunks the the AC unit and a storage area, recessed into the GRP structure. Would be very tricky to remove everything. Might be able to modify the bed and remove the aft part where the big drawer is to give a few more sq ft of floor space, but you lose a cabin & don't really get an office.
NSfooter is offline   Reply With Quote