Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2007, 17:03   #121

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Scott,

WRT: LP Gas connection

When I got my Belize it was equipped for butane, I wonder if that's what you have. If so, don't use that regulator for LP, I don't think they're compatible. Butane boils at 33degrees F and LP at -49degrees F, certainly they have different pressure characteristics. The good news is the jets on the appliances are compatible with both.

My fix:
I cut the rubber hose about 3 inches past the regulator then removed the other end from the copper tubing heading for the galley (that was a threaded connection). I took the galley-end of the hose and the NEW LP regulator I bought to a hydraulic shop. Those guys pressed a connector on the rubber hose that then screwed into my new LP regulator (less than $5 for the connector/labor). It works great.

Being my father's son, cheap, I installed the butane regulator on my gas grill at home just burn up the remaining butane the previous owner left on my boat! I did that install by cutting the rubber hose between the LP regulator and controls and used a double end ferrule and hose clamps to put the butane regulator on the hose. The low pressure side of those regulators are only one-half pound. Besides, if it leaked, it's outside.

Btw, I would suggest being very careful, LP leaks on a boat are very dangerous. Raw LP is heavier than air, it'll build up in your bilge and stay there until you ignite somehow. I installed an electric solenoid valve at the tank with a control in galley (both Xintex). We shut that control off after every use and let the fire burn out. I guess I got paranoid when a mechanic told me he witnessed a diesel engine that started breathing LP from a leak. It blew up, they couldn't shut it down. Might be urban legend, but it got my attention.

Good Luck!

-Marc-
Old 26-06-2007, 17:36   #122
DtM

As part of the delivery the agent here organised for the gas to be converted to comply with Australian requirements. I am pretty sure that a cost for this was included in the price but it was worth it in that there was no issue on delivery.
Old 26-06-2007, 17:38   #123
DtM

Also, still working on the bimini issue.

Not sure that a bimini that covers all but the helm is practicable. Our issue with the factory bimini was the lack of headroom on the port side.

We will keep you updated.
Old 27-06-2007, 14:11   #124

Boat: Mahe 36
Hi JC.
The coast #, you place it at the outside port side of the boat. Enjoy your trip to the Tortugas. Mark
Old 28-06-2007, 04:05   #125

Boat: Alura 30
Mark I am talking about the # that is supposed to be inside the boat.it is my identification # with homeland security.it has to be engrave where it cannot be removed.Dotdun thanks about the tip for LP connection,sounds pretty simple.We will be leaving tuesday am for the Tortugas.JC.
Old 28-06-2007, 11:10   #126

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
JC
I used an agent to do my Coast Guard documentation. They offered a plate with the numbers sandwiched between 2 lucite panels. They wanted $100 for it. After looking at it, I made my own. I bought 3 inch letters and numbers and stuck them to a lucite panel then epoxied a 1/2 bead around the edge, placed another panel on top of the first one. Clamp it for a while. Then I used the epoxy to bond it in the engine compartment. It has to be permanently affixed to the hull so to remove it would leave damage. Remember to put the letters NO with a space first, then your CG Number.
Hey, tell us more about your Bimini design

Scott
Old 28-06-2007, 17:13   #127

mtarich,

I'm picking my Mahe up in La Rochelle in mid September and planning pretty much the same trip, though I'll only be able to spend one month cruising in France, Spain and Portugal. Such a tough life

Have you picked a place to leave your boat yet, I'd be interested to hear if you've already made arrangements at a Marina along the way.
Old 29-06-2007, 04:05   #128

Scott thanks for the tip.I will do it myself and save a few bucks.Kipper Mid september should be OK.You will have to watch the wether.it can get real nasty in that part of the world.JC.
Old 08-07-2007, 07:27   #129

Hi All,

Well we have just placed our order for a Mahe 36, we have just completed a sea trial with the UK distributor for Fountain Pajot, who were very good and we were totally convinced that this was the right boat for us.

Normally the brochure photographs do not represent the actual scale of the boat, and this was a pleasant surprise, the boat is actually bigger in the flesh than in the brochure.

We were told of the current changes to the standard production model, which are as follows:

Rose tinted light wood, darker flooring and the grey gel coat interior is now going to be white (with a corresponding change to the upholstery to Dune instead of white), new digital engine display panels, and 2 additional hatches in the front saloon windows, an electric fuel gauge on the control panel.

Plus on the options was the new Spirfurl, which is described by FP as follows:

A SPIFURL (instead of a SPINNAKER and/or a GENNAKER)
The SPIFURL is an innovative sail specially designed with the sail loft INCIDENCES whose advantage is that it can replace the GENNAKER and the SPINNAKER, the mounting is on a swivel.

Sounds good to me and I will be adding that to the list of extras along with the Bowsprit and additional gear.

The other changes, which came as a bit of a shock was the price increase.

We are still more than happy with our purchase and now look forward to our boat being ready in April 2008 from La Rochelle.

Kevin & Jo
Old 10-07-2007, 06:40   #130

Hi Kevin.
It is interesting to see the changes on the new models.I don't have a fuel gage,so I will install one,also it is getting very hot in the salon because of the lack of ventilation.over all I am very happy with the boat so far,we logged over 2000 miles in 2 months.....what is the base price right now? JC.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:21   #131

Hi JC,

The new price has gone up by 5000 euro, base price 173K, which after 12 months since the price was realesed, so about inflation. fair enough.

The optional extras have jumped in price, Bowsprit was 1770 now 4067, which is more than double.

We are more than happy with our order, just have to wait a while.

Kevin
Old 11-07-2007, 09:16   #132

mahe 36 Prices

Hi,
I am new to this forum and am considering the purchase of a mahe 36. I have gotten alot of useful information so far but was wondering how I could get some more detailed information on prices (base, options, delivery). I am on the Left coast (SF Bay) so would also be interested in any information about sailing the mahe in winds of 25+ (usual summer wind on the bay).
thanks in advance,
Lori
Old 11-07-2007, 11:31   #133

Lori I would contact the FP agent in your area for prices ,different options,delivery etc....we went to get our boat in Martinique and brought her back to Florida.we had several days of 25knt + days,it was a real pleasure,we had the boat doing12knots on several occasions with no problems.we had the bear minimum on the boat so it was very light.JC.
Old 12-07-2007, 00:42   #134

Hi Lori,

Our sea trial was in 25knt+ winds, ideal from my point of view. I wanted to see if the boat could handle it. I am very pleased to say that it more than coped with the conditions and we were having no problems maintaining between 7 and 8 knts and peaking at 9 knts, which was very impresive under the circumstamces.

Kevin
Old 13-07-2007, 03:18   #135

Bowsprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney
Hi Scott, Is that a bow sprit I see in picture 3, can't quite make it out from the angle, if so can I see some more pictures of it especially close up. Thanks
Hope this helps.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mahe_36_c01.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	14790   Click image for larger version

Name:	mahe_36_c04.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	14791  

Closed Thread