Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2009, 02:20   #781

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB53 View Post
Regarding the toilet/backflow issues. I am planning to put a Jabsco electric conversion on the toilet as you have to have a mascerator in Queensland.
Most toilet pumps act as a macerator anyway, as that is the best way to get the contents round and through valves!

My understanding of the Jabsco is that it works well, but is very noisey especially in the middle of the night in a quiet anchorage!
Old 22-06-2009, 04:21   #782

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
Oh well - I will have to blame the legislators if I wake anyone!
Old 22-06-2009, 06:21   #783

Boat: Alura 30
Hello everyone.
Yes raising the Anchor on a real windy day can be a pain,I leave my wife at the controls,and direct her with my arm always telling her in which direction the bows have to point,I always wait untill my chain is hanging strait down to start activate the windlass,works very well that way. No screaming,noyelling at each others,just a smooth operation.....well almost!
JC.
Old 22-06-2009, 10:45   #784

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
Hello everyone.
Yes raising the Anchor on a real windy day can be a pain,I leave my wife at the controls,and direct her with my arm always telling her in which direction the bows have to point,I always wait untill my chain is hanging strait down to start activate the windlass,works very well that way. No screaming,noyelling at each others,just a smooth operation.....well almost!JC.
If the angle of the arm in the horizontal points in the direction of the chain, you can use the angle of the vertical to indicate whether the boat needs to be moved in the direction of the chain, in order to help the windlass, whether the chain is almost in the right place, or whether it is close underfoot, and the boat needs to back off slightly. worked on a frigate, so I am sure it will work on a small craft.
Old 23-06-2009, 10:53   #785

Boat: Lagoon L42
Mahe dinghy recommendations

Could I please hear a few opinions on dinghy recommendations for a Mahe? Not so much concerned with brands although I would like to know what others think of Apex & Caribe, but rather what is a good length.
A BVI charter had a Caribe 10X that was a beautiful dink but was quite large for the transom width.
Use would be the Chesapeake and Bahamas. Thanks!

Chuck
Old 23-06-2009, 12:16   #786

Boat: Alura 30
We have a Caribe 9',I would not recommend anything bigger,because of weight concern.
JC.
Old 23-06-2009, 13:09   #787

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Chuck,

We mounted a 9'2" Mercury 280 Rib dingy at 89 lbs with a Tohatsu 6 HP Engine at 55lbs.
Which works well for us.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6200028.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	14898  
Old 23-06-2009, 13:34   #788

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I have a 9' Walker Bay with an inflatible floor, and a 6 hp 4 stroke nissan (I would upgrade outboard to an 8 hp). I really like the air floor, the dinghy and motor together is about 125 lbs. it is easy to deflate and store. I would not get anything bigger than 9.5 feet, just doesn't fit well.
Old 23-06-2009, 14:40   #789

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22
I would agree that you should keep to 3M max for ease of use. The other thing to be aware of is the WIDTH as anything over about 1.5M gets difficult to lift past the rear beam. I was told that 2 stroke moters are better for tenders as the motor is often taken off and laid flat. Apparently 4 strokes don't like that.
Old 23-06-2009, 16:01   #790

Martin
I would love to have a 2 stroke but you can 't buy a new one in the U.S., You can lay a 4 stroke on it's side with no problem, it is the weight that is a problem with 4 strokes, much heavier than a 2 stroke.
Old 24-06-2009, 05:59   #791

Thanks for the replies! I'm looking at a Caribe 9X or Apex A9, both options nine-footers, with a 15-hp Honda four-stroker. A bit heavier than a comparable 2S but I inhale enough castor racing karts!
How do you reduce/eliminate chafing against the davits or hull? Fix the dinghy fast with lines or bungies to prevent swinging?

Chuck
Old 25-06-2009, 17:30   #792
DtM

When we are at sea we tie a line from the stern of the dinghy to the aft cleat on the boat and use a sail tie to tie the dinghy to one of the stanchions next to the davits.

No swinging and no waves filling the dinghy.
Old 26-06-2009, 15:00   #793

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 26-06-2009, 17:21   #794

Mahe 36

Having recently sailed Mahe 36 for 10 days was was elated and disappointed with this boat

Boat i sailed had no bimbi over the helm - open to elements - Harsh

Have seen new boat with cut out in Bimbi - sure if u were at sea in 40 - 50 knots putting your head out through bimbi will be fun

No solar cells fitted
Having to run engines to chage batteries - waste of resources
Had house batteries fail - changed to starting batteries which only starts Port motor - had to run engine for 2 hrs to get enough charge to start starboard engine

Had to run port engine at approx 2000 rpm to charge batteries enough to operate anchor winch - this made it difficult only using starboard engine to motor up on anchor chain
Anchor chain slips off chain roller
Anchor chain then comes up hard under the hull
Cabling and circuit protection for anchor winch could have been larger capicity
When circuit breaker trips - its located down under rear port berth - reach in through cut under berth

Refrigeration consisted of standard Bar fridge with freezer comaprtment as big as a childs lunch box

Overall finish of boat was good
Best under sail was 9.5 knots in approx 18 - 20 knots of breeze
Was easy to sail and manage

Believe that a boat designed by one of the world leading manufactures lacked the basic items that make sailing a pleasure

S
Old 29-06-2009, 11:12   #795

Smavo
First, You should never run your house batteries dead, if you do,you can parrallel the starboard battery and start both engines. With the starboard engine running, you can work the windlass. It is also suggested that you use both engines to aline the boat to retreive the anchor, then you will not blow the breaker and the anchor rode will not come up under the boat, nor will you have the rode come off of the chain roller. These are basic things you should have been told when you chartered the boat. (how much experience do you have with a Cat?)
Also, the cover over the cockpit or the helm is called a Bimini not a Bimbi.
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36