Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2008, 03:38   #556

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hot air heating

Hi all, I intend to install hot air heater running on Diesel fuel, and am currently considering about the set-up (where to put the heater, the air ducts, the air outlets, the exhaust).
Does anybody have a hot air heater in his/her Mahe 36, or ideas how to install this? I would be very much interested to exchange facts and ideas.

I understand most of you are more interested in how to install air conditioning. Well, we were sailing here in the Netherlands 2 weekends ago and in the morning the temperature in the saloon was 5 degrees centigrade. Next year we might go to the Baltic including Scotland and Norway.

Hoping for a few reactions,
Jef
Old 31-10-2008, 07:34   #557

Boat: Alura 30
Jeff.
My boat is equiped with reverse cycleAC wich means we have heat and cold with the same unit. I have two units installed under the seating area in the salon,with ducts going to the 3 cabins and bathroom.I am not familiar with the kind of unit you are talking about,I am sure there are qualified people on this forum to give you some advices. Happy sailing.
JC.
Old 31-10-2008, 12:25   #558

Jean, thanks for your answer. Is this mounted under the centre part of the seating? (I noticed there is a big block of foam in the centre part; access is from the sides) Is it a 110 V unit? What do you do if you don't have shore power?
The unit I am considering just uses 15-36 Watts of electricity. It runs on diesel fuel. So you can use it also without shore power. Brand name is Eberspacher, model D4 (4 kW). You need a small exhaust for it, so I am considering mounting it either in one of the engine rooms or (most probably( in the aft beam, below the mai sail sheet runner.

Somebody who has information about this? Thank
Old 31-10-2008, 13:10   #559

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Jef
I have a similar set up to JC's, I have 2 reverse cycle 110 volt units (each supplys 12,000 BTU's for AC ), each one sits under each side of the settee, duct work runs from each unit to feed half the salon and one hull, they draw about 9 amps for AC each, haven't used them for heat yet but i'm told they would supply 6000 BTU's each. I have a NextGen generator mounted in the starboard engine compartment above the muffler that supplies 30 amps, at half load it consumes 1/4 gallon an hour of diesel.
Don't know if this helps you.

Scott
Old 31-10-2008, 15:10   #560

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Reverse Cycle

Keep in mind that water cooled/heated reverse cycle systems freeze up in water temps below about 4 C. They work great in the tropic or subtropics but are probably not appropriate above about 35-40 degrees lat except in the summer. I have reverse cycle heaters in North Carolina (35N) but they are quite marginal here in the depth of the winter when our water temps get down to around 5 C.
Old 31-10-2008, 16:21   #561

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Jef,
I have done a bit of research on these diesel heaters in the past.
They are pretty small. I have the installation pdf manuals, which are a big help for planning out your installation.
I have attached the Webasto_AT 3500.pdf This is a 12,000 btu model also.
Just e-mail me and I can send you the Espar airtronic D4 Manual.pdf
and Espar D4 diesel heater.pdf both if which cover the Espar 12,000 btu model.
I do not own a Mahe yet, so can not give a best place to install one on the Mahe.
Mark
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Webasto_AT 3500 Lit Pack 12-03.pdf (124.9 KB, 55 views)
Old 31-10-2008, 16:31   #562

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Jef,
You may want to consider and enclosure also.
Here is a unique setup I found posted.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Enclosure.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	14845  
Old 24-11-2008, 11:17   #563

Hi all, no new posts in this forum. We have to keep this alive, so just a message from us.
I am busy mounting the Eberspacher 4 kW diesel hot air heater. Scary to drill holes in a new boat. The heating will be mounted in the crossbeam, under the mainsail sheet traveller. Air duct will travel to the kitchen right next to the diesel tank, hopefully (there is precious little room for the 93 mm hot air duct!). I am making 4 air inlets of 60 mm each: both aft cabins and 2 under the kitchen. Maybe in the future a 5th to the heads. It's not easy to get a 60 mm duct to the heads in an inconspicuous way.

Thermostat of the hot water boiler does not work well. Hot water turned into espresso machine, last friday evening. Red hot water tube, close to the boiler, melted / exploded. Lots of steam in engine room. Have to change the thermostat. Guarantee I think.

What I am thinking of: we (someone?) should make a website where all knowledge we have gathered on the mahe is collected. I am thinking how to do this. Use a wiki, or have an editor? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jef
Old 24-11-2008, 11:40   #564

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Jeff, I had to laugh, the exact same thing has happeneed to me twince. I got a new thermostat but not before blowing out two hoses. I used the deck shower hose to get by until I get a new one. It was just like an "expresso machine"
Lonnie
Old 24-11-2008, 12:05   #565

Boat: Mahe 36
website for Mahe

I was going to suggest that we put together a yahoo group for the Mahe's. That way there can be separate threads to follow about individual questions rather than one (very long) thread. Also you can post files and photos etc on the yahoo group site. I had a gemini catamaran before my mahe and they had a great yahoo site that was full of information. I havent set up a group site on Yahoo before but can look into it if there is interest. Let me know.
Lori
Old 24-11-2008, 12:10   #566

Jef
It is a great idea to collect our knowledge, I caught my hot water heater before the line blow, but not before a friend got burned by the water. It is very difficult to adjust the thermostat since it is on the bottom of the unit (you need very small person and hands to do it) The water was 156 degrees F when delivered from the factory. I now have it at 132 degrees.
I also lost my FI-30 equipment for the 4th time in 18 months, Furuno is now replacing the system with the FI-50. I'd like to know how many others have had similar problems with Furuno gear.
Also on the Jabsco heads, I keep having to replace the Joker Valve every 4 to 5 months (bowel fills with "black water"). I now know why it is called a joker valve, what a disgusting job to do once let alone 3 times! Anyone else experiencing this?
I'm about to add a spectra watermaker to the boat (200T), I'll post after it is completed, has anyone else done this?
Scott
Scott
Old 24-11-2008, 12:47   #567

Mahe forum

Hi, for a dedicated forum try cruisersforum.com - there you'll find a Fontaine Pajot forum and I'm sure the administrator would set up a Mahe forum for you.
Old 24-11-2008, 12:48   #568

Scott, you have adjusted the thermostat of the boiler. The Sigmar Marine representative in the Netherlands tells me it can not be adjusted, must be replaced. Lonnie of Iriecat also replaced i.s.o adjusted. Are we talking of the same thing? different thermostats? My boiler is Sigmar Marine, 25 litres, outside black plastic, inside Stainless Steel, thermostat according to the documentation in a black square box, unreachable at the bottom?
Sigmar Marine has been taken over by a company called Quick by the way.
Thanks,
Jef
Old 24-11-2008, 13:03   #569

Jef
It is adjustable, the owners manual doesn't explain how to do it. I had my thermostat replaced and when it was out I took a look at it. The tech put it back in and the water wasn't getting hot (he turn it to low) so I adjusted it myself. There is a plastic black box on the bottom of the heater, you need to remove the box and the thermostat is accessable (very difficult to do). Once the box/cover is off there is a red dial with a slot in the center (I had to use a dentist mirror to see it), if you turn it clock wise you lower the temp. The factory ships the units with the adjustment at the highest setting, that is why the lines are blowing out. It doesn't take alot to lower the temp., I had to do it 8 or 10 times before we got it to 132 degrees. If you turn it to much the heater won't work at all.

Scott
Old 24-11-2008, 13:10   #570

Hi all, regarding a knowledge base on the Mahe you would require a thread on practically every part of the boat that gives trouble or could be improved, or who produces it. Most threads would not be very long. (probably the ones on biminis and barbecues would be long). You should be able to attach pictures or a document. I do not know what tool is most practical, and can handle hundreds of threads. But I would be willing to contribute with knowledge of the boat.
To mention a very simple example: the jib sheet sometimes catches the jib halyard jammer when tacking. I found out a simple elastic band between the starboard and front diamond stays that prevents this, and still allows you to use the jammer in seconds without hassle. I would like to attach a picture (that I still have to take).
Another one: the URL where you can find the pan holder for the Eno 3-burner stove is at
http://www.eno-marine.fr/espace/imag...es_3feux_f.gif
This piece is standard on the bigger Fountaine Pajots but is not mounted on our beloved entry level boat.
Also you can convert you cold water shower easily to hot water by ordering a part from Plastimo, part number 47676. This is the mixing tap.
Etcetera.
I would be very interested in all knowledge availbale to all of you.
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36