Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2008, 11:05   #496

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
JC
You lucked out and I'm in for it. The new track takes the storm right over my marina. We have the boat secured with a similar "spider webbing" on lines and extra fenders, now we just have to wait and pray.

Scott
Old 19-08-2008, 12:21   #497

Boat: Alura 30
Scott.
Yeah I know it is heading your way though I don't think you will get over 50MPH. this is a weird storm,we are not yet out of the woods.could go anywhere.
Well good luck to you.
Keep us inform.JC.
Old 19-08-2008, 14:55   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
JC
You lucked out and I'm in for it. The new track takes the storm right over my marina. We have the boat secured with a similar "spider webbing" on lines and extra fenders, now we just have to wait and pray.

Scott
What marina is it, are you safe for waves or do you have both waves and winds? What kind of mooring do you have. I don´t understand the spider webbing?
Old 19-08-2008, 15:27   #499

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Unhappy

We are not at a mooring but in a slip at Cocoa Village Marina. Go to cocoavillagemarina.com, then go to cameras, and if you have activeX loaded on your PC you can see the marina in realtime. We have concrete barriers around the basin so the wave action is cut down by a large amount. Since we are in a slip with pilings we tie the boat to the pilings and cleats on the boat, when it is done it looks like a spiderweb going around your boat. I've doubled up on the lines and removed all sails amoung other things.
I hope to go to the boat tomorrow if we can get into the area, a lot of flooding and wind damage so far.
Old 19-08-2008, 15:53   #500

Boat: Mahe 36 KOKOMO
T. S. Fay

Hi all

I think we are done with the most of it. I saw KOKOMO twice today, and she was riding just fine, see attached picture.

Larry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	429
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	14834   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010006.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	14835  

Name:	P1010007.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	14836   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010008.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	14837  

Name:	P1010009.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	14838  
Old 20-08-2008, 04:25   #501

Boat: Alura 30
Scott it must have blown pretty good where you are.I left the sails on,I just made sure they were secured well. Those are nice pictures of Kokomo Larry. Good luck to everyone.
JC.
Old 25-08-2008, 07:46   #502

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Squeaking

We also experienced serious squeaking. It comes and goes. In our case it was mainly due to wood from the kitchen touching and rubbing the inner fibreglass shell, immediately at the rear end of the top of the starboard stairs. On the port side there is also a squeak, but we still have to localize that one; it is less annoying.
The one on starboard was really maddening, even the smallest movement of the ship caused a serious squeak caused by stick-slip from rubbing. We have solved it temporarily by working a piece of baking paper (folded to be e.g. 8- or 16-fold) between the kitchen's wood and the inner shell. Problem is this paper wears through, and you have to replace the baking paper now and then.
One reason for the squeaking occurring is, in our case: The whole kitchen / starboard hut woodenassembly is glued to the hull with big blobs of Sikaflex-like stuff; a white marine kit/glue. And this glue does not held well to the plastic surface of the wooden kitchen panels; I have already seen a number of spots where this kit has come loose.
This means that the kitchen can move around more than originally, meaning that the level of squeaking changes.
From a heavy sea the squeaking can change, due to the whole kitchen block shifting position slightly, is my impression.

I have infomed the dealer about this; I hope to get a reaction from him how he proposes to solve this. He might inform or ask Fountaine Pajot.

Regards
Jef
Mahe 88 "Miss Poes"
Old 25-08-2008, 07:50   #503

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Sailing performance of the Mahe

We have our boat now since the end of May, sailing since then. Done around 1800 miles since then. Tomorrow we cross from Lowestoft (UK) to the Netherlands, around 100 miles.
The weather has been unusually bad here. Lots of wind, lots of rain.

I am very happy with the sailing performance of the Mahe.
A tip: when you sail in butterfly, straight downwind, take the jib sheet out as far as possible. We guide it under the center cleat. The jib will fly stably then. We will mount blocks in the vicinity of the center cleat, and get a third jib sheet (now we use the one from the side which is unused).
On the starboard side you can bring the 3rd jib sheet to the starboard winch; on the port side we use the block and winch from the spifurl.
Regards,
Jef
Old 25-08-2008, 11:58   #504

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
squeaking

Hello Jef

You got the problem spot on.We had the issue on some boats and fixed it by adding a layer of caulking to the jonction of the wood and fiberglass.
It has cured the problem ...so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
We also experienced serious squeaking. It comes and goes. In our case it was mainly due to wood from the kitchen touching and rubbing the inner fibreglass shell, immediately at the rear end of the top of the starboard stairs. On the port side there is also a squeak, but we still have to localize that one; it is less annoying.
The one on starboard was really maddening, even the smallest movement of the ship caused a serious squeak caused by stick-slip from rubbing. We have solved it temporarily by working a piece of baking paper (folded to be e.g. 8- or 16-fold) between the kitchen's wood and the inner shell. Problem is this paper wears through, and you have to replace the baking paper now and then.
One reason for the squeaking occurring is, in our case: The whole kitchen / starboard hut woodenassembly is glued to the hull with big blobs of Sikaflex-like stuff; a white marine kit/glue. And this glue does not held well to the plastic surface of the wooden kitchen panels; I have already seen a number of spots where this kit has come loose.
This means that the kitchen can move around more than originally, meaning that the level of squeaking changes.
From a heavy sea the squeaking can change, due to the whole kitchen block shifting position slightly, is my impression.

I have infomed the dealer about this; I hope to get a reaction from him how he proposes to solve this. He might inform or ask Fountaine Pajot.

Regards
Jef
Mahe 88 "Miss Poes"
Old 26-08-2008, 09:00   #505

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
Hello Jef

You got the problem spot on.We had the issue on some boats and fixed it by adding a layer of caulking to the jonction of the wood and fiberglass.
It has cured the problem ...so far
What about a srip of UHMW Poly.
Old 26-08-2008, 11:58   #506

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Do not know
The sealant/caulking work well but I am sure that there is some other solution
On a couple of boats we also shaved a thin layer of wood and noise went away
Old 27-08-2008, 06:29   #507

Boat: FP Mahe 36
It appeared that the gap between the wood and fiberglass was too small for even a piece of paper. I used a drop or two of veg. oil that worked for a while but I need to reaply. Could the caulk work for me?
Old 27-08-2008, 07:54   #508

Pguillemin - Squeaking and Osmosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
Alan

I am commenting indeed
I do not know of the 4 decks redone on Lavezzi but I will check.We sold boat number 191 in October so I do not think that there is any STRUCTURAL PROBLEMS in the building process
For the rest I have answered some of the questions
Leaks :It happened on 2 of our Mahe so far and it was due to a badly followed process at the factory ( wating too long for instalation )
Easy fix

Creaking: overtensionning of the rig will pull the hull or chainplates up and will create chafe and grinding ( overloaded boat is easy to check as doors do not close easily )Also I do not think that SS cables streched .

Also you should sail a Mahe before commenting on the problems in a so doctoral manner
From what you are saying now and so many others have also said, it appears that the creaking problem has nothing to do with the rig but the way they are put together ie not fixing the inner modules which now means they have to be removed to be sanded down so that in theory they float around as they are not fixed, to me this could cause problems later on and is also meaning that the quality of the building them is not as good as they were when the Tobago, Athena and Venezia were around.

Also you state that you know of no problems with the Lavezzi's, regarding delaminating and Osmosis, in the yachtworld.com site there are 2 that are offering extra hull warranties and these boats are 4 and 5 years old which have had to have full osmosis treatment ie read this Fountaine-Pajot Lavezzi court case - osmosis

and this one a 2003 boat offering 3 year new warranty

2002 Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40 Maestro Boat For Sale

I would welcome your comments on this when you have spoken direct with Fountaine Pajot, as I am led to believe that there were still problems up until the end of 2004.
Old 30-08-2008, 19:34   #509

Hi

I read the blog with much interest as i have the same interest in Mahe. However I live in Singapore and we do not have any agents there. so pl let me know the reliable agent which you have ppurchase the mahe from and his contact
Old 31-08-2008, 01:35   #510
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
Hi leong your nearest agent would be Peter Cohen of EC Marine. Ph.+61(0)754525164. They are based in Moolooloba Qld Australia. Also visit their web site at www.fountainepajot.com.au
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36