Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 23-04-2008, 13:20   #391

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi all, could anybody tell me the brand and model number (or size) of the jammer that is currently used on the Mahe's cabin roof? We would like to get a second one for the reef lines.

Old 23-04-2008, 14:04   #392

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
There is just no enough room in the engine hold for an outboard motor. I placed a diesel genset in the starboard engine hold but I would not consider a gas one for the reasons you stated. For storage you might be able to place the outboard in the chain locker, there is enough room but it does get water in there.
I'll try to post pictures of my solution for the outboard as soon as we get back from this weekend trip. I purchased a lock for the outboard to prevent thief which can be used on the dingy as well as on the plywood support.

Old 24-04-2008, 06:43   #393

Boat: Mahe 36
Hi Scott,

Please post some pictures on the mount you have made, I am sure others here would love to see it. Look forward to seeing what ideas you have.

I also take on board what Jef and Marin are saying, we currently have it stored in the chain locker, which for now will do but it is not a permanent solution.

Jef - we got the factory to fit an additional set of jammers on the coach house roof and a very good job they made of it, I cant remeber the cost but it was not much in the scheme of things. I think 180 euros fitted. Bargin.

Plus when you get your new boat you will have more than enough to do, trust me I know!

Kev & Jo
Old 28-04-2008, 05:37   #394

Mahe Anchor and Chain

Dear all,
One month to go before we get our Mahe 36 nr 88. Full time preparing.
For anchor and chain we are considering:
- A Rocna 20 kg anchor, which seems to hold very well. Worry is whether the shaft fits through the hole of the anchor locker.
- As chain we are considering to use an 8 mm G70 chain, which (at 50 meter length) is 45 kg lighter than the 10 mm chain. G70 material is stronger than G30, so the 8 mm G70 is actually stronger than the standard 10 mm G30 chain. And just a bit more expensive.
I guess this would mean that we have to change the chain wheel of the anchor winch. Is this doable? Can anybody tell me the brand name and type number of the anchor winch?
- Attached to the anchor chain we want to use another 50 m of anchor line.

I would appreciate to hear all your ideas about anchoring. Also ideas about what to take as 2nd anchor. (type, weight, chain / rope)
The Rocna is very good for sand and clay, also with plants on it. It is not specifically designed for coral and rock.

Thanks
Jef
Old 28-04-2008, 05:57   #395

Boat: FP Tobago 35
I use a Fortress one size bigger than reccomended for the boat, with 10 metres chain and 50 rope.

It's light, and easy to use as a stern anchor as well. Never used it in rocks, works well in a rock/sand combination.

For its weight it wil outperform nearly all others in most bottoms.

Do you have a good anchor bridle and strong attachment points done? If not,you may want to do what I did, I exchanged the 2 bottom forward bolts on the crossbeam attachments with strong Wichard eyebolts. Shackle the bridle to these.

Regards

Alan
Old 28-04-2008, 06:44   #396

Anchor and chain foir Mahe 36

Nordic cat, thanks. I have no idea about shackle and bridles; we will get our Mahe in one month, and I will find out then. And check the strength.
Regarding the windlass, I know a little bit more now by a phone call to Fountaine Pajot: presently (since a few weeks) an Italian Lofrans Cayman 88 1000 W windlass is used on the Mahe 36. It has a 10 mm chain disc. This can be replaced easily. A company here in the Netherlands has the 8 mm chain wheel on stock. They are even willing to take the 10 mm disc back in exchange.
So I'll go for the stronger type 8mm chain and save 45 kg.
This leaves one showstopper: what is the size of the hole into the anchor locker? Anybody out there on a Mahe who can tell me the width and height available for the shaft of the anchor? Kev&Jo maybe?
Thanks in advance
Jef
Old 28-04-2008, 07:16   #397

Don't know about the Rocna but I use a 25kg Delta that fits fine (just)...
Old 28-04-2008, 08:09   #398

anchor dimensions

Hi Kipper, thanks for the reply. One question: the "just fitting" is that regarding the length of the arm of the anchor, or the height passing through the hole of the anchor locker? The Rocna seems to have a longer arm, and greater height. But your Delta is a bigger size, maybe that compensates.
Old 28-04-2008, 10:46   #399

Jeff and Marin
My Mahe came with a Brittania anchor (very much like a Danforth) with 100 ft of 5/16" Galv. chain and a bridle. At first I was going to put my Bruce anchor as my primary, but I tried the Brittania and it works great in sand. We were out in 18 knot winds this past weekend and the anchor held great. Over the past year it has worked like a charm, now my bruce is the backup.
All
I've taken some pictures of the outboard motor mount but am having trouble down loading them, if anyone is interested, send me your email ansd I'll send them to yoyu.
Also, I would not buy the factory Bimini, I had miine made and it cost me less and I got what I wanted.
Old 28-04-2008, 12:14   #400

Hi Jef,

Just been and measured the height of the anchor hole and mine is 150mm long, in height that is, hope this helps.

By the way, when I get chance I will be going for exactly the same as you, Rocna with 8mm chain. I can also confirn the Lofrans Cayman 88 model, we like it.

Kev & Jo

http://www.mahe36.blogspot.com
Old 28-04-2008, 13:46   #401

Kev&Jo, thanks for your info. Great. I will check the height of the Rocna arm. If you want to know the dimensions of the Rocna anchors: go for www.rocna.com/distributable/patterns. This link you will not find from the starter page.
Regarding the stronger chain:
The chain is DIN766. This is calibrated chain, DIN764 is uncalibrated. The stronger chain is G70 i.s.o. G30 grade. G30 is steel, G70 is manganese steel. 8 mm G70 is a bit stronger than 10 mm G30 chain. Also, at 50 meters length it is 67.5 i.s.o. 112.5 kg. Price is around 9.50 euro i.s.o. 8.50 euro/meter for 10 mm G30. Delivery time may be an issue, I tried to order today but was told it takes 6 weeks. I'll go on looking tomorrow.
I ordered the Rocna 20 kg today, with bring-back option if it does not fit.
Have a great sails,
Jef & Marin
Old 28-04-2008, 13:47   #402

Send a message via AIM to pguillemin Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Mahe on You tube

Some interesting videos of Mahe on You Tube
Please check the link below

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.=
Old 28-04-2008, 16:42   #403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
Hi Kipper, thanks for the reply. One question: the "just fitting" is that regarding the length of the arm of the anchor, or the height passing through the hole of the anchor locker? The Rocna seems to have a longer arm, and greater height. But your Delta is a bigger size, maybe that compensates.
By just I meant when retrieving and storing the anchor the tip of the anchor stays clear of the hull but not by much. There's plenty of room for the arm but if the anchor blade was much longer the tip would actually make contact with the hull while it was stored.

Hope that clears things up.
Old 28-04-2008, 19:10   #404

bathroom area

has any one looked at putting in a plexi-glass divider in the bathroom. I love the mahi but was wounder why they did not divide the bathroom. I talked to some one who said they were going to drill a hole in the cabinet and put in a y connector and put in a permanente shower head.
Old 29-04-2008, 07:52   #405

Randall
When I first got the boat I thought about a divider for the shower, but having used it, I feel a divider would be to restrictive in movement. Also, unless you place the showerhead and water valve in the shower area, it would be a real pain to operate the water flow with a divider.
All in all it is not a problem the way it is.

Tags
mahe 36

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: