Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2007, 16:42   #271

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 38
Looking at the pictures of the Mahe 36 I notice the sail drive is installed behind the rudder. Can some one tell me how the steerage performs under power at low speed both forward and aft ? It was obviously installed aft of the rudder due to space restrictions ?
Old 20-12-2007, 18:04   #272

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe36
I don't come from a sailing background but I have had no issues maneuvering around our marina (everyday since delivery)
Old 20-12-2007, 23:44   #273

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crak View Post
Looking at the pictures of the Mahe 36 I notice the sail drive is installed behind the rudder. Can some one tell me how the steerage performs under power at low speed both forward and aft ? It was obviously installed aft of the rudder due to space restrictions ?
Makes no difference at all. You manoeuvre a cat at low speed using both engines and leave the wheel alone. So, flow over the rudders doesn't matter at all.

Of course, if you are down to only one engine, then it'll make a difference.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 21-12-2007, 00:24   #274

Boat: Broadblue 42
Whilst Jeannius is generally correct in saying it makes no difference for most low speed manoeuvres I do find the ability to use prop flow over the rudder handy in some cases.

If you turn the wheel hard to stbd and then give the engines a quick burst of ahead the prop wash will tend to force the stern across to port with very little fwd motion. With judicious use of fwd and astern it is possible to move our boat sideways with very little fore and aft movement. This can be very useful if parking in a small gap alongside a wall for instance. It is also quite handy when coming alonside a pontoon - aquick burst of power against the angled rudder can push the stern towards the pontoon to make getting off very much easier for the crew.

Although not used very often this technique is very a very handy weapon to have when you need it. I am sure you can acheive the same end without the prop wash but it will be a bit more difficult.
Old 21-12-2007, 06:45   #275

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamedos View Post
Whilst Jeannius is generally correct in saying it makes no difference for most low speed manoeuvres I do find the ability to use prop flow over the rudder handy in some cases.

If you turn the wheel hard to stbd and then give the engines a quick burst of ahead the prop wash will tend to force the stern across to port with very little fwd motion. With judicious use of fwd and astern it is possible to move our boat sideways with very little fore and aft movement. This can be very useful if parking in a small gap alongside a wall for instance. It is also quite handy when coming alonside a pontoon - aquick burst of power against the angled rudder can push the stern towards the pontoon to make getting off very much easier for the crew.

Although not used very often this technique is very a very handy weapon to have when you need it. I am sure you can acheive the same end without the prop wash but it will be a bit more difficult.

I'd forgotten about that one. I keep meaning to try it while well away from anything hard. Must remember to have a practice sometime

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Old 21-12-2007, 15:26   #276

Bimini by Land and Sea Upholstery

I just got the bimini put on "irie cat". Luis at Land and Sea did an awsome job. I got cushions done also at the same time which look great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0088.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	14799  
Old 30-12-2007, 20:28   #277

We hit the road (sea) for Marsh Harbour in a few hours on Mahe #49.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0088.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	14800   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0089.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	14801  

Old 09-01-2008, 17:35   #278

Boat: FP Mahe 36
Mahe 49 in Nunjack Cay

Irie Cat has been a dream!!!
Old 13-01-2008, 17:19   #279

Boat: 2007 FP Mahe 36'
A/C for Caribbean?

Hello All,

I am about to send my Mahe 36 to the USVI. Currently, I do not have the A/C option. 4 cabin fans is all that I am equipped with at the moment.

Is there a need for this option? If so, please let me know cause I figure I can have the work done in the states much cheaper.

Thanks!
Old 14-01-2008, 04:34   #280
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Air-Conditioning will be very welcome in the Virgins, Spring through Fall, but un-necessary in Winter.

April through June: Daytime highs range from 90 degrees, with night time temperatures only ten degrees lower at approximately 80F.

July through September: Daytime temperatures usually range between 80 degrees and 95 degrees . The nights are typically cooler with temperature ranging usually in the low 80s.

September through November: Daytime temperatures can rage in the 90s dropping to 75 to 80 degrees at night.

December through March: Daytime temperatures up to mid 80s, dropping to low 70s.

Old 14-01-2008, 06:01   #281

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Air conditionning
If you are anchored out and have an awning which allow you to leave some hatches open you will not need air conditionning.
The trade winds blows 85% of the time andthey will keep your boat cool and dry. A/C will be needed however in the Summer if you are at the dock
Old 15-01-2008, 18:04   #282

Boat: 2007 FP Mahe 36'
AC Confusion

Does anyone out there have AC installed in their Mahe? I am hearing that additonal equipment (larger inverter) needs to be installed as well. Where does the AC unit go? Any idea on price? I have been told that I will need a 16,000 BTU unit for the entire craft.

Thanks!
Old 15-01-2008, 18:58   #283

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahe-Mahe View Post
Does anyone out there have AC installed in their Mahe? I am hearing that additonal equipment (larger inverter) needs to be installed as well. Where does the AC unit go? Any idea on price? I have been told that I will need a 16,000 BTU unit for the entire craft.

Thanks!
The person that started this thread has AC.
Old 15-01-2008, 19:02   #284

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I have installed A/C and a generator on my Mahe. In Florida I found that I needed 2 12K BTU units to cool the boat nicely. I installed the new turbo Marine Air units under the sette, one on each side. The Generator is a NexGen that puts out 30 Amps, it is more than enough to run the 2 A/C units with a little more to spare. The gen is in the Starboard engine compartment. I think 16K BTU is a little light for a southern climate.
Old 15-01-2008, 19:31   #285

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Here is the new white salon (instead of grey).
They have now added a window for more ventilation.

Name:	Mahe 36 - New front vent window.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	14802

Name:	Mahe 36 <a title=Salon.jpg Views: 173 Size: 49.2 KB ID: 14803" style="margin: 2px" />
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36