Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2007, 02:53   #256

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
DtM makes an interesting point that a common service stock of parts for a boat which is so popular makes a lot of sense.
The job really falls to those who sell them so please, as owners, advise your supplier, the factory and THIS SITE of the parts you have damaged. A Mahe36 Owners club could certainly help in reducing replacement costs by bulk buying.
Whats the cost of Copper Coating if six boats in one location all want it done at the same time? for example. This must apply to so many things, nav sets particularly, gen sets, etc
Power to the Sailor.
Old 29-11-2007, 05:37   #257

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Hello DtM
the keels are sacrificials.They slide into a groove and are glued .So they can be removed to be rebuilt or replaced .
Old 29-11-2007, 05:39   #258

Also to answer Eleven
Willmar USA is starting an owner club ...not only for Mahe but for FP boats
We are planning outing and even an atantic crossing
Please send me an email and I will put you in touch with Faye from our west coast office
Old 29-11-2007, 20:12   #259

Boat: Mahe 36
A few more pictures to help with the sacrificial keel, which is deeper by an inch or 2 in sailing trim and you can ground on a flat surface without both the keel and rudder touching at the same time. Plus this boat has the factory Max Props fitted, must be a speed junky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 079.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	14796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 082.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	14797  

Old 11-12-2007, 05:19   #260

Starting my Sail Training on a Braodblue 385 with Btunton prop's (See P10 of Props and stuff thread) where we found we could not motor into 35knot wind witha twin screw and diesel cat. It may be the props were undersized, it may be the Brunton's self pitching was getting confused by a short confused sea on a shaloow bed.

I was worried about the props not being up to it but it seems the installed power may be a problem.
Mahe 36's please take note that two ten HP's may not /will not drag you off a lee shore. Put it on your shakedown list. We had sea room, thanks to chance and the lord Neptune (who has more control of things than we do).
My gut feeling is that Brunton and other self pitching props need to be checked out with care. Standard fixed blade props may not misbehave like that but power only into wind is still a worthwhile item on your check list.
Experiences with non-standard props would be appreciated for Mahe and PJ's here.
You lucky skippers who already have a Mahe / PJ please advise those who merely wait.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:26   #261

Hi Eleven, what size diesels did the 385 have?
Old 11-12-2007, 05:45   #262

Boat: Alura 30
Eleven I have 2 Volvo's 20hp on my boat.it seems to be plenty so far.burning less than a gallon an hour on both engines at 6kt.I am sure that I will get in a situation where this may not be enough.I have the standard fixed props.JC.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:17   #263

When the chance presents do take it out and check it out. Loved the style of the Mahe and the Tardis (Dr Who?) interior but finance points me Prout Event wards.
Many Mahe buyers would love to hear the Mahe proved to motor comfortably into a 30 knot wind. I still think it was the props that got confused, just raising a caution until proven otherwise.
Enjoy your lovely boat, and do feed back, I might win the lotto.
Old 12-12-2007, 00:50   #264

Boat: broadblue 385
the upgrade from 20hp to 30hp volvos on the BB385 is about 5400 usd (as per the option list of BB)....blinds to windows are about 6600 usd so we decided to invest into safety and we ordered our BB385 with the 30hp engines....and we will fix the blinds ourselves....
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34   #265

Slight confusion in my previous, I thought the Mahe had 2 x ten Hp but they are, of course, 2 x 20HP which should be adequate and are comparable or better than other new builds. I become more convinced, without eveidence, that the props were indeed confused and not operating as intended. Fixed props should give a good performance and the main check would be to tie the boat down well and go full throttle. If you get towards or above 3000 revs they may be a bit too small. I'd expect 2200 to 2500 revs with no boat speed, more as speed picks up.
Please bear in mind I'm still an engineer and not yet a sailor.
Old 12-12-2007, 19:38   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
Eleven I have 2 Volvo's 20hp on my boat.it seems to be plenty so far.burning less than a gallon an hour on both engines at 6kt.I am sure that I will get in a situation where this may not be enough.I have the standard fixed props.JC.
hey jc, c passionant tout ce que je lis sur ce forum, triste d apprendre que le bateau que j avais ramene de jax a pris la foudre, j espere qu ils etaient bien assures
Old 12-12-2007, 19:46   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryW View Post
JC, Thanks for the info on the LP tank - How's your bimini? When you get a chance I'd like to see a picture - so we can get ideas on changing ours. Lightning damage so far totals $15,000. It took out all the elctronics, lights, engine panels and two exit spots in the hull. Larry
hi larry ,sorry you ve been hit by the lightning, real bummer; hope you re enjoying your boat. see you. gaultier
Old 13-12-2007, 06:33   #268

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
Gaultier
It is good to see your post, I feel bad for Larry as well, the guy has had little luck since getting the boat. When your back in Florida give us a call. JC, are you planning a trip to the Keys soon? I think we will go in late January, would like to hook up with you.

Scott
Old 14-12-2007, 11:19   #269

To all
Delivered Lonnie's boat-IRIECAT-yesterday to Stuart ( MAHE 49)..great sail and some long motoring up the intracoastal..The more I use them the more I like them !
As of motoring off a leeshore,the twin 20hp will move you ...may be slowly if you have a big sea running but they will.
Propellers: standard fixed blades work well but lot's of drag
Feathering like Max Prop,Gori or Volvo will work as well with very little drag under sail ( and no running gear noise when you are sailing)
Old 20-12-2007, 16:10   #270

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Mahe36
Loving it more each day!

This boat gets better each day, we love it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0085.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	531.4 KB
ID:	14798  
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36