Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2007, 17:06   #226

Boat: Mahe 36 Simba
Hello JC
I have a Mahe on order and have recently come back from La Rochelle [great place]
I understand you had some autopilot problems, could you share your experience and lessons learned in order for me to avoid a similar problem.
Sincerely,
Bill Fitzgerald
VisaView.com
Old 13-11-2007, 17:12   #227

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I saw one at the Strictly Sail show in St. Pete.
The price was great.
There is plenty of head room throughout> Me=6'4"
I could fit in all the bunks.
The head was well thought out.
Only one dissapointment for me in Florida.
There was zero openings in the salon for ventilation. One hatch per hull. No opening ports.
No-can-do in Florida, sorry.
Old 14-11-2007, 01:10   #228
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Therapy,

You are absolutely right on ventilation.. Last year I chartered a Belize that had two large front opening windows + one hatch over the kitchen that we kept opened all the time. Barely enough in hot climate..
Unfortunately on my Orana to be delivered, there is also only one front opening (tiny one..) and not even a single hatch in the saloon. I didn't see additional hatches on the option list either. Nevertheless, my distributor says that it's not a big deal to add hatches on the saloon once the boat is delivered. (the cost would probably be in the order of 200-300 USd per hatch..)

Cheers

Yeloya
Old 14-11-2007, 01:21   #229

The other little niggles I have with the Mahe is that there are no genoa tracks/cars, when I asked about how easy it is to retro fit the likes of these and winches/deck gear ie does the lining come away easily to enable easy access, I was told that it is best to have it done at time of order as the lining does not come away easily or cleanly.
Have any Mahe owners found this.
Old 14-11-2007, 06:39   #230

Boat: Alura 30
Bill I had problems with all the Furuno electronics.First I lost the Autopilot 2 days after leaving Guadeloupe,had to steer the boat all the way back to Tampa,they replace the server,I haven't had any problems since that.Then I lost depth,wind,etc....It took 3 months to get the problems fixed,if I was you I would go with Raymarine maybe.Other than that the boat is great.JC.
Old 14-11-2007, 07:38   #231

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
OK let me answer
There is one opening hatch in every cabins and one in the saloon by the mast
New Mahe will have two opening hatches in Saloon
Genoa track are almost impossible to retrofit ( Deck is infused and there is no liner so you will end up with apparent backing plate in the saloon ceiling!!!)
Furuno electronics: Problem was not with Furuno but with overcharging and server was being fried
Old 14-11-2007, 08:02   #232

Right Philippe,I think the problem has been solved with a voltage regulator.It seems to be working fine now.JC.
Old 14-11-2007, 21:16   #233

Boat: Maine Cat 30 - Jasmine
Since this is kinda the Mahe owners or futures owners thread I hate to bring this up, but Therapy indicated that there was great headroom for tall folks like him and I (I think we are both 6' 4") in the Mahe. All true.

But Therapy, did you sit in the helm seat? I sat in the one at the St. Pete boat show, and seated comfortably there, my head was above the level of the boom. An accidental jibe could be a real disaster for the helmsman I think...

I also noticed the rigging fittings werr smaller, less robust than I expected. The Seawinds next to it had much stronger *looking* rigging, whether there is actually any strength difference I don't know, I am not a rigger.

Lastly I notice that with this boat FP has gone back to putting the anchor in a locker under the tramp, and has no walkway down the center of the tramp. Both look to me like they would make anchoring painful.

FWIW, probably about what you paid for it.

Kevin
Old 15-11-2007, 05:32   #234

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmac View Post
Since this is kinda the Mahe owners or futures owners thread I hate to bring this up, but Therapy indicated that there was great headroom for tall folks like him and I (I think we are both 6' 4") in the Mahe. All true.

But Therapy, did you sit in the helm seat? I sat in the one at the St. Pete boat show, and seated comfortably there, my head was above the level of the boom. An accidental jibe could be a real disaster for the helmsman I think...

I also noticed the rigging fittings werr smaller, less robust than I expected. The Seawinds next to it had much stronger *looking* rigging, whether there is actually any strength difference I don't know, I am not a rigger.

Lastly I notice that with this boat FP has gone back to putting the anchor in a locker under the tramp, and has no walkway down the center of the tramp. Both look to me like they would make anchoring painful.

FWIW, probably about what you paid for it.

Kevin
The helm, yes. and the hard top would have to be taller also, and then the boom would have to be raised and then the sail recut etc.

Mr. Craig told me one of the options is to have a hard walkway and two small tramps. I would go for that one.

I am no rigger either.

Most people just do not realize what a handicap it is to be over 6'1".

Oh yea,
When I wrote "the price was great" I guess I should have said "the offered price was great".

I did not buy.

I am not quite ready yet. I need to save another 300k for the 1160.
Old 20-11-2007, 10:01   #235

Send a message via Skype™ to pguillemin
Hi Guys
6'4" ...you can still sit at the helm station and not be hit by the boom.At the show we keep the boom low for looks..but the mainsail make it fly higher
Rigging.Boat because of infusion technology is a lot lighter than older cat so rigging is also smaller ( and lighter ) etc...
Mahe 49 just arrived in Fort Lauderdale after an Atlantic crossing..boat look like new.
Another Mahe went to Cape Town so miles of open ocean speak for themselves
Old 20-11-2007, 11:50   #236

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
therapy
You live in Florida and you have a problem with the ventilation on the Mahe? I don't know where in Florida you live but if your depending on port holes to cool the boat you will die of heat exhaustion. Any boat will need A/C in Florida period.
I'm 6 feet and the boom will not hit me, by the way, do you use a preventor when sailing with the wind, helps prevent those accidental Gybes
The boat is an entry level cat and is very easy to sail short handed, and pretty fast in the process, so while I'm out enjoying the beautiful sailing conditions now, your pinching pennies to buy the Seawind. Sorry but I don't like to be landlocked.
Old 20-11-2007, 12:57   #237

Good point scott.Anyway when the sail is up,the boom comes way up,no way it will hit you.As for ventilation,yes the Mahe could use more hatches,when sailing it is sufficient,when at anchor or in a Marina in the summer,anyway you will need AC.When we get older we need our little confort.....you know like cold air,good wines,and a good cook onboard.
JC.
Old 20-11-2007, 13:14   #238

goldfish delivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean1146 View Post
I just was wondering if they are any menbers on this forum who have ordered the new FP mahe 36'.it would be interesting to exchange thoughts about the boat.
from La Rochelle France I leave this week with the mahé number 60 is possible see the blog every day on skymate .com denis
Old 20-11-2007, 15:50   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by pguillemin View Post
Hi Guys
6'4" ...you can still sit at the helm station and not be hit by the boom.At the show we keep the boom low for looks..but the mainsail make it fly higher
Rigging.Boat because of infusion technology is a lot lighter than older cat so rigging is also smaller ( and lighter ) etc...
Mahe 49 just arrived in Fort Lauderdale after an Atlantic crossing..boat look like new.
Another Mahe went to Cape Town so miles of open ocean speak for themselves
Good points.
Thank you.
Old 20-11-2007, 15:56   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott730 View Post
therapy
You live in Florida and you have a problem with the ventilation on the Mahe? I don't know where in Florida you live but if your depending on port holes to cool the boat you will die of heat exhaustion. Any boat will need A/C in Florida period.
I'm 6 feet and the boom will not hit me, by the way, do you use a preventor when sailing with the wind, helps prevent those accidental Gybes
The boat is an entry level cat and is very easy to sail short handed, and pretty fast in the process, so while I'm out enjoying the beautiful sailing conditions now, your pinching pennies to buy the Seawind. Sorry but I don't like to be landlocked.
I have some time on boats with ventilation and for a good part of the time it is OK. Summer on worst days - you bet. I don't want a boat without AC but I don't want one that requires me to use AC on a day like today was because I cannot get any air to move through it.

If it is an "entry level cat" then I think it is very, very nice. I was astounded at how much room was to be had in the Mahe as compared to the Seawind 1000.
Is that "entry level" label because it is only 36 and most "real cats" are now around 40?
Closed Thread

Tags
mahe 36