Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2008, 08:14   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
10.000 Euro for a trip of less than 4000 miles is incredible high , the cost to our crew,s from Durban to Europe is less than that. Why not do the following , travel to La Rochelle with a experienced crew/skipper of your liking/choice and use the boat there for a limited time until you are happy with your boat , leave the boat in La Rochelle until the end of April and make the journey yourself with the help of some friends or other that are interested to do the journey, it is an easy one , even the la rochelle la coruna is a good crossing as long as you start out with the good wheather, a north west to a south east will get you going there in no time and from there on the coast of both Spain and Portugal are a joy to sail with many harbors along the way and good anchorages in the northern Rio,s.
If you have a long journey it will take you 3 weeks and if you have the right winds and continue on it will take you 14 days with very limited use of the engines.
If you are unfortunate the engines might have 500 hours on them before taking delivery in Turkey
Happy sailing in 2008
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 08:41   #17

I side with Fastcat, Paul, and Pelagic. Ask yourself the question, why WOULDN"T they want you on board? Also, why is the boat being 'finished' in the med? I will GUARANTEE you that its a helluva lot easier to get things fixxed at the factory than 4k miles away....Also, 10k euro is ridiculous for that trip. No reason for you to pay that much for a cruise you should be on.

I would take Fastcat's advice. I would go to the builder's location, have them finish the boat there, live on it a bit, find the problems, get them corrected before you go anywhere, then sail around locally, find the other problems, go back and have them fixxed while still close. Get some experience on the boat, find your own professional crew, when you're ready take off when weather is ideal. Have a great trip at your leisure, keep track of any problems, defects, etc. When you get to Turkey, have the distributor get the problems fixxed by the same people he wants to use now.

Using Fast's advice, you end up in the same locale, you've just had a great trip, learned a ton about your new boat and how to handle it, gotten nearly all of the normal problems with a new boat sorted out, gotten some confidence in your own ability to handle the boat on the sea, are fully equipped and ...you're now ready to take command of your boat and go wherever the hell you want, when you want, and be secure in doing so.

PLUS!! you've most likely saved yourself some money and made some very good seafaring friends.

Frankly, I can't see doing it any other way. If the distributor objects, I think I would simply look him in the face and ask.."WHY?"

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:21   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Right on!! I fell off my chair looking at 10k Euros!! (Or maybe I'm undercharging my deliveries.....oh well!)

You really should do the trip - its an invaluable experience. Every "owner assist" that I have ever done has always been incredibly successful and resulted in long term friendships and meetings-up again in distant ports.....such fun to see one's "students" really using their boats at last.

Just for an example - the going rate (at least over this side of the pond) would be about $200/day for the skipper and $100 for any crew member.

Tony
bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 12:05   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018
Seer's suggestion is the best but unfortunately I cannot devote more than 3 weeks for delivery and this is not doable in this time frame.

Will they sail ?? I would assume so.. Let's take the extreme; motoring all the way down..I'll have 2 Volvo 40 HP which burns over 7 liter an hour at 3.000 rpm. This makes 15 liter an hour for about 8 knt of speed. The distance is roughly 3.200 nm = 400 hours of motoring = 6.000 kg of fuel. Not familiar with fuel prices in Med but if we take a € per liter , it makes 6.000 € fuel expense which I won't pay. My deal is 10.000 € whichever way they take the boat here, over the truck if they prefer to do so..

From here to the cost of delivery..Asssuming they will be one skipper and two helpers , this makes roughly 300 € fee per day for the crew X 25 days minimum the delivery (can go up to month..) = 7.500 € + 3 air tickets min 1.000 € = 8.500 €. What is left is 1.500 € which includes 3 weeks of provisioning for 3 people. They can barely cover their expenses. In my view, for a qualified skipper for offshore passage a 200 USD per day is not much.(In Turkey,if you choose to take a skipper for a charter boat, you pay 100 € day + his expenses. Of course, the charter company takes his commission on that. But after all, they are ordinary coastal skippers)
Do you still think it is too much..?

On top, if they motor all the way and pay 5-6.000 € for fuel, does it make any sense ??

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 15:09   #20

I was exaggerating when I said 2900rpm, I assume they would cruise at 2500rpm (or whatever the standard high cruise speed is on your engines). Of course I don't know your boat, but your fuel consumption estimates seem very high to me. I have a monohull with a single 35hp diesel, at 2500rpm it averages around 2 liters per hour. Is it possible that the source of your fuel consumption information is based on 100% throttle position? Most boats cruise at 40-60% throttle. Anyways... this is a complete sidetrack (rat hole).

I'm not telling you they will run engines the whole way, it's just something I'd ask before signing up!
Hubec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
orana