Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:18   #1

Boat: fp bleize 43
Older Fountaines

after opinions of how the Belize style of cats stack up against the newer versions.
for example I love the cockpit area of the Belize.
because when you or the young ones are in side or in the cockpit aera there is a boundary any one has to cross to be unsafe.
engine hatches look a lot lower on the newer models.
any opinions
k9spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:10   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Older Fountaines

Admittedly, the Belize is looking 'dated' compared to the newer boxy style bridgedecks/salons.

But, I would not trade my bulkhead helm for a flybridge helm. The ability to stay out of the sun/weather is a requirement for us. And yes, when docking I can see all four corners, you simple have to lift your butt off the seat and stand at the wheel.

The enclosed (not walkout) cockpit gives a level of safety and comfort that is totally lost in newer designs.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:03   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

I think the Belize is a nice looking boat.

I'm not actually that keen on the newer models - this whole flybridge thing reminds me of the centre-cockpit fad in monohulls about 10 years ago. I second DotDun's comments about the necessity of shelter from weather and sun. Shade, especially.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2013, 00:19   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

+1 Muskoka

We prefer the older style - Belize/Bahia are very similar with their sleek lines. Unfortunately the new boxy look is cheaper to build than those luscious curves but that is progress for you. I really do hope this flybridge fad would just go away. I know it has been done largely for the charter market but it is not a viable concept for us here downunder in the cooler climes. The enclosed cockpit is great when the young grandkids visit - a friend with a different brand cat had to go to some expense to gate his walkthrough off, to keep his toddler in. Another concern with the modern (production) cats is the tendency to try and cram too much into the ends. Sure the resulting living area is wonderful but at the detriment to performance of the boat at sea IMHO.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 28-05-2014, 07:03   #5

Boat: Leopard 40

"But, I would not trade my bulkhead helm for a flybridge helm. The ability to stay out of the sun/weather is a requirement for us. And yes, when docking I can see all four corners, you simple have to lift your butt off the seat and stand at the wheel."

Does that apply to a person who is 5'2" and even when standing on most cats can't see from the helm/

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 09:18   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Last cat I was on we built a small wood platform at the helm to solve that problem. Simple, cheap, and worked well. Painted it the same color as the boat, hardly noticed it was there.
Old 28-05-2014, 09:57   #7

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
"But, I would not trade my bulkhead helm for a flybridge helm. The ability to stay out of the sun/weather is a requirement for us. And yes, when docking I can see all four corners, you simple have to lift your butt off the seat and stand at the wheel."

Does that apply to a person who is 5'2" and even when standing on most cats can't see from the helm/

Maje
If the particular person is shorter standing than sitting, I would state they would not be able to see as much standing as they do sitting.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2014, 20:28   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro

But, I would not trade my bulkhead helm for a flybridge helm. The ability to stay out of the sun/weather is a requirement for us. And yes, when docking I can see all four corners, you simple have to lift your butt off the seat and stand at the wheel.

The enclosed (not walkout) cockpit gives a level of safety and comfort that is totally lost in newer designs.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you DotDun

Maje[/QUOTE]

Hi Maje, I am 5'2". When manoeuvring our Bahia around anchorages etc, I stand with or without my butt resting against the seat and can see all four corners just fine.

Cheers
Lisa
Old 29-05-2014, 05:10   #9

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Older Fountaines

I also prefer the older FPs for a variety of reasons. I work at a charter company that had Lavezzis, Belize, Bahia, Liparis, Orana, Hellias, Mahes and a Salina all at the same time. I think the motion at the lower helm and the visibility are huge benefits of the older style. In charter setup I felt the older boats sailed better when they had newer sails as compared to the newer FPs. I do like all the lines run to the starboard side in front of the helm on the newer cats. There seems to be much more storage room on the older boats. The newer boats feel much larger probably at the cost of storage. Protection from weather and spray is much better on the older boats. I like the hardtops on the newer boats when having to do anything on the boom. I really like being able to control the traveler from the helm on the newer cats. After that rambling I guess it comes back to the adage that boats are a compromise!
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 05:16   #10
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

I to like the older FP's. But when I think older I think the Antigua, Fidji and Casamance.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 05:16   #11

I'm a mono guy but Cats intrigue me ever since I sailed a 45 footer that went like stink and pointed well however I do think many of the new ones are something less than easy on the eyes. The older ones with slightly smaller hulls and lower freeboard are much more attractive and look like they would sail better/faster.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 10:08   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Its not just in cooler climates that where the newer designs helm postions are very exposed. In Croatia (and I am sure in any other location with high altitude sun),you fry without a decent bimimi and the little pram hoods used on upper helm positions provide very little shade unless the sun is dead overhead. I can also imagine what it would be like helming down the English Channel into a typical British summer southwesterly which probably explains why you see few of these boats in North Europe unless they are migrating southwards.
Helming our Athena is 95% done by autopilot, and I spend very little time at the helm postion unless in close quarters. The rest of the time I am keeping watch wandering around the cockpit looking over the cabin top and in the main saloon through the windows.
The main benefit I can see in the raised helms is bringing all the sheets to the helm, which makes single handed handling much easier and which of course is a reasonably simple mod anyway.
At least the FP raised helm designs are relatively low and don't require a ridiculously high boom!
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 16:30   #13

Boat: Leopard 40

Thanks, Lisa! That is exactly what I needed to know.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote