Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-08-2011, 00:15   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Re: Now Proud Owners - FP Bahia 46 Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Never been on a multi. I see you're former mono sailors. What did you think of the cat's motion?
Difficult to describe. Obviously we don't have a problem with it or we never would have bought one. We have never felt the slightest bit sea sick on a cat (yet), but then again in over 30 years of mono sailing and tens of thousands of miles have seldom felt sea sick on a mono (usually the day after the night before ).

The motion tends to be short and rapid rather than long and lurching (Clyde's words). Not at all unpleasant, just well, different. The longer the waterline the less pitching and of course flat (ish).

Also noise and slamming under the bridgedeck are very real in certain conditions, but so it can be with a mono.

Honestly when we did our delivery on the Bahia, we could not have imagined how just the two of us would have coped on our old monohull in similar conditions. It would have been no where near as comfortable as the cat and far more tiring.

Cheers

Old 02-08-2011, 02:13   #17

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Thanks. There's a lot of nonsense on here from time to time about monos v multis. Nice to hear from someone with experience of both. I have a friend (mono sailor) with vast experience who got seasick on a cat off the Queensland coast in rough conditions - he's never been prone to seasickness. He said it was the short, sharp action. Maybe. It would have been unpleasant in a mono too. It's interesting how you describe the ease of sailing compared to your mono and that's important on long hauls. Truth is, nobody is too wild about passage-making so the more comfortable the better. Your new cat looks great.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:11   #18

Beautiful boat! It was my first choice, but ended, also very happy, on a lagoon.

Weather...The squalls at night are the typical tropical Pacific weather pattern. The oceans cool to the east as the sun sets, warmer west waters feed the energy. Reverse happens in the morning, but not as dynamic. You can find atolls and islands from 100's of miles away with this same type of generation.
Old 14-09-2011, 13:47   #19

Boat: FP,Bahia 46' - Saturday

We own a Bahia 46 (1997) for nine years. It has traveled over 13,000 miles. Have taken it down to Fort Pierce 4 times from Long island. We have been in 30 to 40 foot sea about 200 miles off of North Carolina surfing down waves at 20 plus knots. Very buoyant forward hulls.
Pro's:
Love the layout.
Good bridge-deck clearance. Important when those ocean waves are sliding through the hull.
Engines power it just fine.

Cons:
Have replaced one engine and probably the other engine is due.
Both sail-drives have been replaced and may need to be replace again.
50 percent of the standing rigging has been replace.
Definitely not overbuilt, especially the area around the escape hatches.
I could feel them buckle during ocean swells.
Wish the fit and finish were better like a Lagoon, but considering it's cost, amount of sea mileage and quirks, we still love the boat. We will continue to pour money into it's upkeep.
Frank
Old 25-09-2011, 13:24   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwikat
Yes we have finally done it and are now the proud owners of a 2002 Fountaine Pajot Bahia Maestro. We have been looking at these cats (and a few others) for a little over four years and have finally made the break.

We sold the house and waited, we knew we wanted a Bahia maestro version but there was just nothing close to our part of the world NZ/Australia that took our interest. Finally we came across a private sale in Tahiti and flew up there late last year to try her out and after extensive negotiations we returned to Tahiti at the beginning of May this year to buy her.

We have just successfully sailed her from Tahiti to Fiji, (two handed) after only owning her for a few days and were joined in Fiji by Clyde's son and a good friend for the last leg down to NZ where we will get her fit and ready for more adventures in the Pacific.

We had a fair mix of weather over the three weeks of sailing but were more than impressed with the boat and it's handling. Unfortunately it was solely a delivery trip with no time for sight seeing but we had a thoroughly enjoyable time anyway.

It has all been such a huge learning curve in such a short space of time, having to deal with the various authorities and paper trails as well as learning the boat on the journey across. There is much information that we are happy to share with other CF members should anyone be interested.

We would also like to thank the forum and it's members for all of the useful pieces of information we have gleaned from them over the years and will continue to do in the future.

Cheers
Lisa and Clyde
s/v Va'a Roa
Hi Clyde, Lisa

I have just registered as a user here and am learning.....hope you get this!!!!. Thought I would check out the Bahia 46 section and have just read that you guys have purchased your dream. Well done guys. We have not regretted buying Sol Maria one bit and have had some fantastic experiences.......sailings only a small part of the adventures. Have not yet overcome the fridge issue but it is really a small issue compared to some boats we have encountered.

We have clicked up some miles over the last 2 yrs and some engine hours. I have been surprised at how many hours we have clocked up since we left the Pacific but we have covered a lot of miles. I have kept some numbers on hours and miles and diesel consumption etc. Sounds like we have the same motors so you may be interested. Have had one or two maintenance issues and some you may be interested in keeping an eye on.

We have not had any bad passages but the times when you wish you were not there have been no troubles at all. When we first left NZ we push hard and clicked up some impressive miles per day.......but started breaking blocks and shackles etc. We are now quite comfortable on an average of 150 to 175 miles and save the gear.......plus in 20kts the wine glasses stay on the tables.......and they are glass as well.

We are pretty slack at keeping up the blog page since crossing the Indian ocean but you can get hold of us through the blog. Google Sol Maria .co.NZ......I can never remember what it is....

Currently drifting around Croatia.......will be heading to Venice in the next week or so before heading back down to Greece to haul out and do an anti foul and drive oil change etc etc.......will be back in NZ for Xmas. If you a around we could catch up and shre some info.

Cheers

Gav, Lica and Shae

Gavin Morris
SV Sol Maria
Old 27-09-2011, 23:02   #21

Re: Now Proud Owners - FP Bahia 46 'Maestro'

Well hi Gav, hello to you all, and welcome to the forum. Fancy finding us here like that, mind you we often think it quite a coincidence that we both as 1104 owners have chosen a Bahia as our next boat, entirely independently of one another. Glad you guys are still enjoying it.

Looking at your blog, it looks like you guys are having such an incredible journey. We do get to hear little updates about your trip from the yacht club grapevine (it hasn't changed ), whenever we go back across to NZ, which is quite often. It would be great to have a catch up at Xmas time but we will be away on the boat from mid December to around the end of January. Who knows where we will be, so will just have to play it by ear.

BTW as we speak, we are having some modifications done to the fridge top and inner configuration. Will keep you posted on how it all works out.

Not really quite sure how to use the blog to get in touch with you so will send you a PM (private message) here on the forum with our email address etc.

Keep in touch.
Cheers
Lisa and Clyde
Old 28-09-2011, 07:04   #22

Hi Kiwikat. Also have a 1998 Bahia and have been considering modifying the fridge top and innards for the last six years! Any ideas you had might have might spur me on to turn thoughts into actions.Thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 00:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Hi Kiwikat. Also have a 1998 Bahia and have been considering modifying the fridge top and innards for the last six years! Any ideas you had might have might spur me on to turn thoughts into actions.Thanks.
Hi Josef,

I wasn't going to say too much until we go back to NZ at the end of the month. You see, we gave our instructions to the boatbuilder as to what we wanted before we left. He has since fitted the remodelled lid but we are yet to see it.........

....Anyhoo...... the previous owner had removed the division panel in the fridge and raised the floor of the fridge to make it more accessable to vertically challenged people (his wife), thus leaving a large area cooled by one verticle standing rectangular evaporator plate (in which the gas sprung a leak ).

We are leaving the false floor in place (height ?). We have had the lid cut approximately in half (maybe 60-40, to be confirmed) athwartships. The forward panel has been fixed in place leaving the galley end panel hinging open. This will hopefully provide for a lighter more accessable entry with more storage (bench space) on top. We may further modify the hinged panel entry but will try it for a while and see how it goes.

We will hang a small rectangular evaporator plate under the port end of the fixed part of the lid. Similar to the small freezer compartment on a small beer fridge. This will be a freezer for short term stays, ice etc. Another flat evaporator plate will be fixed to the starboard wall (low) and run at a higher temperature. Shelving system, yet to be designed will be affixed.

A separate larger freezer will eventually installed in the port hull. We currently run a Waeco portable 12V.

We also toyed with the idea of putting a fridge door in (galley wall) but the boatbuilder reckons it will not be necessary.

.........so now we wait......

Cheers
Old 08-10-2011, 20:09   #24

Boat: FP Bahia 46

Hi Kiwikat- I thought about removing the center divider also. ( I have a freezer unit in the wall in my port hull) The only problem is that the previous owner attached the freeezing plate to the divider. I can see a whole can of worms opening up if I tried to move it. I did mount some rubber coated wire storage shelves to the sides of the fridge. They give me lots of room for small items and bottles. I was concerned about rust, but they are 2 years old and show no signs of it.

Brian
Old 09-11-2011, 21:30   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
Work in progress thus far.

We had not realised that the the fridge lid itself was bowed so the piano hinge does not look straight, which was a little disappointing at first sight but having just being living on the boat for the last two weeks (without refrigeration hooked up) we soon no longer noticed it.

The refrigeration was just being tested as we left the boat yesterday. We will next do a few refinements on the freezerbox door, seals and add some sort of shelving/storage arrangement.

I should have also taken a photo of inside the freezer compartment. Will do that next month when we return to NZ.

Cheers
Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	33521   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB090002.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	342.8 KB
ID:	33522