Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2018, 04:30   #1

New Owners

Hi there, are there any owners of the Saona 47?
We are still waiting on our boat, delivery is expected beginning of 2019.

It would be nice to talk to some who is already owning one or also waiting on the new boat.

Mark
Zaubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 08:54   #2

Boat: Fountain Pajot, Helia 44 Evolution
Re: New Owners

Hi Mark,

Congratulations. Exciting times ahead.

I am also waiting for my new Helia to be glued together. Delivery is due for Mar 2019 as well.

I am documenting her future life in charter and my experiences along the way (and hopefully those of other in 'the same boat').

For details see my signature below.

Is yours to live on and cruising or part time like my self initially?
Old 22-07-2018, 13:46   #3

Hi Nils,

The Saona is not going into charter. It is just to cruise whenever it’s possible.
Old 23-07-2018, 19:17   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Mark

Facebook has a very active Saona 47 blog as well as Fountaine Pajot in general. Congratulations. Mine is delivered in November 2019.

Steve
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 03:00   #5

Steve,

thanks for the hint. Until today I wasn’t a facebook member. Now i registered so I’m waiting to get access to the FP owners group.
Old 24-07-2018, 09:22   #6

Mark

Please share your options. Sounds like we will be using similar. Im neither a live aboard, nor will charter. I will take delivery in Fort Lauderdale and sail the Bahamas and Southeast USA before sailing it through the Panama Canal and back to San Diego. My boat will be fairly well equipped. I've 44 years of offshore boat ownership but this is my first cat so I have a steep learning curve. I elected to go with Yanmar diesels and Onan generator because of my experience with both and shied away from the Volvo because of their MDI problem. It is looking like Volvo may have solved that problem so I may switch back and save money. A reliable water maker is an absolute necessity in northwest Mexico so I am going with a 12 volt system. I figure that if either the water maker or generator fail on the 110 volt system I would be in trouble. Also, the 12 volt system was much cheaper. I haven't finalized my downwind sail. To me there is a trade off between effectiveness and ease of use. I currently have a 2,000 square foot asymmetrical which is very efficient, but hard for these old bones to set so it tends to stay in a bag. Leaning towards a composite fabric North Code 0 that I will put on a furler. Went with fake teak. I have the real stuff and it either takes a lot of work or you have to like grey.
Old 24-07-2018, 14:41   #7

Steve,

we took the upgraded Volvo engines in hope they solfed the problems. I think the extra money isn’t worth to spend for yanmar. As i know at the moment it isn’t shure which generator would be mounted. I think and hope it will be the fischer panda because i saw the onan and the space
around. Every maintenance work would be a challenge because there is no space anymore around.
We also choose the 12v aquabase watermaker because it is a solid system and we travel with round about 4 people on same time. I think the 12v with 65 l/h should be enough.
We ordered the original FP Gennaker. Maybe it is not a real gennaker then a asymmetrical spinnaker. But our contact to FP said it would be on a furler system.? So we will see...
And also flexiteak, the fake one because of work and cleaning.
By the way no air conditioning, master version, electric fresh water toilets and so on.
Old 24-07-2018, 15:12   #8

Mark

I think I'll end up with the Volvo 60 hp. I've had 25 years of problem free ownership of the Yanmar, but agree, the price won't be worth it if the MDI issue is resolved. The dealer and others have told me the Volvo is bulletproof other than that. I shied away from the Fischer Panda, which is an alternative, based on reviews. Admittedly, the reviews are old and I've been told "the problems are solved". You are right about the Onan as it is much bigger. They also have an impeller problem which is a pain, but I write a check for engine maintenance so I am more concerned with reliability. I would sure like to see more reviews of the newer Fischer Panda as the concept is solid. I'm having the dealer install the fake teak as they say they do a better job - go figure. Where are you taking delivery?
The water maker we are going with seems almost too good to be true. I wanted Spectra, as I've never heard of a major issue, but the cost differential is large.

Steve
Old 06-08-2018, 14:24   #9

Boat: Fountain Pajot Saona 47

I have a Saona coming as well, ex factory date of Jan 2019. I don't have access to facebook, any other ways to connect with other owners?
jimglasair3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 17:09   #10

I'm new to Fountaine Pajot so not the best to answer. If you can I would strongly recommend you get a Facebook account if only for the Saona and Fountaine Pajot sites. With only about 50 Saona members I still get 3 or 4 posts a day. Best of luck on your delivery. Where are you getting it?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:33   #11

No Facebook for me... but thank you for the info.

Freighter delivery to South Florida. Handover sometime late April?
Old 13-08-2018, 06:41   #12

Well, continue to post here. I would be very interested in your progress and experience. Who is your dealer?
Old 16-08-2018, 08:46   #13

Went ahead and brought facebook back from the dead. Joined the group. Atlantic Cruising Yachts is the dealer.
Old 21-09-2018, 08:48   #14

What’s your hullnumber jimglasair3
Old 11-03-2019, 14:22   #15
Marine Service Provider

If anyone is looking to put a beautiful Saona 47 in a charter fleet we have a build slot reserved for November of 2019 that can still be optioned to your specifications!
(TMM Yacht Charters-BVI)
Nauti1 is offline   Reply With Quote