Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 18:42   #91
DtM

Re: New FP Lipari 41

Good on you Dod.

I hope you enjoy your boat as much as we have our two FP's.
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 20:06   #92

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution

MHS have her on display at the Gold Coast Marine expo Nov 1-3 along with 4 other boats plus 8 brokerage boats. Should be a good show. I think Sanctuary Cove should be worried as this show seems to be taking over. Free entrance as well. I will get her at the end of the show and take her back to her new home in Manly boat harbour Queensland.
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2013, 11:59   #93
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 41 Lipari 2013

I just bought a PF Lipari 41 and sailed it across from France to Boston. Any questions, fire away.
Old 04-11-2013, 20:08   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Freedom View Post
I just bought a PF Lipari 41 and sailed it across from France to Boston. Any questions, fire away.
Does it have an emergency tiller access through the deck? couldn't find one when recently inspecting one at boat show.If not how do you access rudder pole? Permanently keep engine hatch open?
guvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 20:15   #95

Not through the deck yet. they want you to keep the engine hatch open. I think it's a dumb idea as you would be standing on the sugar scoops to steer by hand with the engine cover open. Would be very simple to fit a simple screw in access panel to accommodate the emergency tiller then you could stand up higher and not have the engine cover open.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:45   #96
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountaine Pajot 41 Lipari 2013

Funny topic....I lost my port steering the first night out of France. I did not lose the rudder, but it was just flapping lose due to the collar....I had to head into Burella Spain to repair it. I learned quick about the emergency tiller....I could not use it as I am not the worlds strongest man......lol...Yes, you sit/stand with the hatch open......
Old 06-11-2013, 15:05   #97
DtM

Not so sure it is funny but I get your point.

I have often wondered how the emergency steering would be in real life.

Your experience confirms my concerns. Thank you.

I think we might investigate a new solution.

Where is Cotemar when you need him !!!!
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 16:54   #98

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Tiller entertainment

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post512627
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 17:35   #99

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

I have a Lipari question I hope fellow owners could help me with. When I look at the steering system and where the rod enters the tube something seems to be missing. The continuous metal shavings are another clue that this set up is right.

Take a look at these pictures and please let me know if you have a solution

Thanks
MarkClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1409704477.754340.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	87578Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1409704499.258992.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	87579

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mbuckely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:38   #100
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

hi all,
I helped deliver a year old Lipari in December from Chessie to Marsh Harbour, Bahamas with a mix of ICW and open ocean. we crossed the stream from Lake Worth. plenty of wind, rain and fog for much of the trip with breezes >30kt in the Sea of Abaco.

the boat sailed quite well, fast reacher right up to 60 degrees. great spinnaker boat (we flew the kite right down the ICW). maneuvered very well using the engines only. little slapping under way even in big seas, and very stable at anchor, even when we were in an open roadstead off a Bahamas bank. in the big winds we sailed or motored for hours at 7kts and more with easy motion on board. a good sailing vessel for sure.

below decks the quality of construction was much lower than I expected. Ikea is actually a little better quality. interior hardware very cheap actually, terrible sinks and cooker. heads fragile and cheap hardware. it is all surprisingly bad. unsafe in a seaway since we tie off all drawers, doors and lockers.

fridge and freezer was very good; they worked very well and held tons of stuff. Good storage throughout the boat. chain locker and storage nicely designed.

the two REALLY BAD things:
1) this boat had the chart plotter, depth, and autopilot on the bulkhead under/behind the wheel! you had to look down and put your hands through the wheel spokes to control the devices. under autopilot in rough seas this was dangerous and meant taking it out of autopilot to even change the scale of the plotter.

2) the boat was terribly slippery, above and below decks. we were in almost constant fog, mist or rain, and the entire boat was an ice rink. 4 of us -experienced sailors - all slipped and fell badly at least twice, usually slamming flat on a back, or knee, or elbow and side. we were very lucky that no bones were broken. very lucky. I would never buy this boat just for this safety fault alone. the above-deck non-skid is useless, and the fake wood soles below-decks are a death trap.

if you buy one of these boats used (even a year old) you must plan to deal with these two major faults above and replace all the hinges and latches on every drawer, cupboard, locker, and closet. then you'll have a very nice sailer that is a comfortable anchor-out as well.
Old 21-03-2015, 15:36   #101

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Thank you for the report Symphony. We looked at them before going with a 5 year old Leopard. I remember wondering about the very items you mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 15:46   #102

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Symphomy,

thanks for that report. The issues you raised are not noticed at a boat show. I suspect the issues would be similar on the Mahle.

thanks
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 02:19   #103

It is always interesting to hear other people's opinions. It's always interesting that some will see things differently to others. We have had our Lipari for about 18 months and have not found these issues, and friends who also have a Lipari since 2010 also haven't found these issues but we can only speak for our 2 boats, like I guess you can only speak for the one you where on. We researched a lot before we settled on a Lipari and yes we purchased new. We are extremely happy with our purchase and with over 170 sold there are probably others. Isn't it a good thing that we don't all like the same thing otherwise we would all be sailing the same boats.

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Old 22-03-2015, 06:29   #104

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Lipari 41

As an owner with over 25,000 nm on my Lipari, I can vouch for your impressions of the boats sailing qualities. The boat is well mannered at sea and when trimmed right nearly sails itself. As for "cheap" construction below, I think you are confusing cheap with light. The Lagoon 39 displacement is 11.2 t, while the FP Lipari is 7.6 t. The Lagoon has 753 square feet standard sail area while the FP has 963. Lighter with more sail area means a more spirited sailing catamaran. So if you want luxury below - and Lagoon nails this - well, you get the picture.

Never had a problem with instrument placement. Personally, I like them mounted handy but unobtrusively at the helm. Much of our sailing can be handled below where I have repeaters for autopilot and instruments at the nav station. Better visibility around the headsails from below.

As for "slippery" footing, I'm guessing you mean the steps leading up to the helm and the ones going down into each hull. $15 worth of non skid tape cured that. Otherwise, I haven't noticed a problem.

The latches/hinges have worked fine with no failures. They all have adjustments, and when adjusted the latches lock securely when you push the button in. They do what they're supposed to do.

Finally, I like IKEA - form follows function. But of course, it's not to everyone's taste.
rwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 17:08   #105

Hello fellow Lipari41 owners. I, like MOST if you, love my Lipari41. Bought it in 2013 and sailed it across the pool from France to Florida in January of 2013. Yeah, I know, pretty stupid time of year to do that, but the boat performed exceedingly well. Anyway, I am wondering if any of you have installed a water-maker. I am getting ready to install a Spectra Newport MKII on my boat and am wondering where you placed your intake thru-hull. P.S. I have the owner's version (3 berths, 2 heads). Thanks in advance for any response.
wheresmyboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lipari