Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2017, 15:27   #1

Boat: Future Fountaine Pajot owner
Need Recommendations for FP Broker

We live in CA and intend to purchase a NEW FP but take delivery and have it equipped in France with other after-factory equipment. Therefore, we need a broker deeply knowledgeable about the suppliers in the industry local to that region and someone who can oversee the build, fitting and delivery there.

Does anyone have recommendations for a FP broker either in France or on the East Coast with deep connections with FP directly. We speak French but bilingual preferred.

Also, we'll be in Annapolis in October so we are trying to set up meetings on site.
Holly3785n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 17:09   #2

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33
Re: Need Recommendations for FP Broker

Atlantic Cruising Yachts in Annapolis tells me they sell more FP boats than anyone in the world. I believe they have excellent connections in France, and work with suppliers there to get the boats outfitted the way they're supposed to be.

They were good to me on the Helia contract I had, and were just as good about moving me to a Salina 48 they had in brokerage.

I worked with Joe Buxton on the Helia, who actually works out of the Ft. Lauderdale office, but will be at the Annapolis show. He's a really good guy and did everything he could to help make sure the Salina deal went smoothly even though he got cut out of any commission. 954-651-3626

On the Salina I worked with Bobby Allen, because he had personal knowledge of the boat having sold it new and knowing the owner quite well. Bobby is also a good guy, a great sailor, but older and a little technologically challenged. Bobby works out of the Annapolis office and of course will be at the show. 443-603-2463

Tell them John Anderson sent you.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 16:09   #3

For your equipment installation, check out Uchimata sailing services. They seem to handle a lot of the custom work FP buyers add after purchase.

Which FP are you looking at purchasing? It could be educational for this forum to keep posting throughout the process.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2017, 20:49   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
For your equipment installation, check out Uchimata sailing services. They seem to handle a lot of the custom work FP buyers add after purchase.

Which FP are you looking at purchasing? It could be educational for this forum to keep posting throughout the process.

We are looking at either the 44 or 47 and go back and forth about the boat as a business option. On one hand I can see how it would work, we take guests and split costs now during bareboat charter vacations, etc. On the other hand, I sort of don't want to deal with it but it may be because I'm burnt out about working and just want to cast off! Any thoughts?
Old 19-09-2017, 20:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
Atlantic Cruising Yachts in Annapolis tells me they sell more FP boats than anyone in the world. I believe they have excellent connections in France, and work with suppliers there to get the boats outfitted the way they're supposed to be.

They were good to me on the Helia contract I had, and were just as good about moving me to a Salina 48 they had in brokerage.

I worked with Joe Buxton on the Helia, who actually works out of the Ft. Lauderdale office, but will be at the Annapolis show. He's a really good guy and did everything he could to help make sure the Salina deal went smoothly even though he got cut out of any commission. 954-651-3626

On the Salina I worked with Bobby Allen, because he had personal knowledge of the boat having sold it new and knowing the owner quite well. Bobby is also a good guy, a great sailor, but older and a little technologically challenged. Bobby works out of the Annapolis office and of course will be at the show. 443-603-2463

Tell them John Anderson sent you.

We reached out to Joe and Frank McCarthy, we have time set up to meet them there. On the phone Frank was chatting up the boat as a business option. Why are they so keen on this in the first place, any ideas?

Also, we got the price list for the 44 and 47. What's their standard discount percent off list on a new boat do you know?
Old 20-09-2017, 05:31   #6

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3785n View Post
We reached out to Joe and Frank McCarthy, we have time set up to meet them there. On the phone Frank was chatting up the boat as a business option. Why are they so keen on this in the first place, any ideas?

Also, we got the price list for the 44 and 47. What's their standard discount percent off list on a new boat do you know?
They're keen on the boat as a business option because it helps them sell boats.

A lot of their clients want the boat and have the sail away dream, but can't do it right now. The boat as a business can help pay for the boat, and reduce your taxes, depending on several factors like how the boat is configured, how many weeks per year it charters, where you choose to locate the boat, and what your current tax situation is. The downside of course is that your boat is chartered by people who may or may not be as qualified as you'd like, and I've seen first hand that people will tend to treat a chartered boat about as well as they treat a rental car. Most people treat a rental car pretty well, and some would just as soon leave it smoldering in a ditch. Unfortunately, you don't know who the bad ones were until they bring it back.

I can tell you the contract I had for the Helia included a pretty good discount. Not sure if there's a standard, but always ask for more than you think is reasonable. Also, the Euro is up 15% over where it was when I hammered out my deal. The exchange rate matters a lot.

Unfortunately for you, the timing may not be the best. Irma took out a whole bunch of charter boats, and the dealers aren't going to be hurting for orders once the insurance checks start rolling in. On the flip side, it's also possible that the big 3 (FP, Lagoon, Leopard/moorings) are going to be in fierce competition for those insurance checks. Time will tell.

Option up the boat, ask for the discount. Once you've settled on a discount dollar amount, then if you back off the options you can still ask to keep the discount dollar amount, not a percentage.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:44   #7

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly3785n View Post
We are looking at either the 44 or 47 and go back and forth about the boat as a business option. On one hand I can see how it would work, we take guests and split costs now during bareboat charter vacations, etc. On the other hand, I sort of don't want to deal with it but it may be because I'm burnt out about working and just want to cast off! Any thoughts?
Only you know.
Putting the boat in charter means unqualified crooks putting her on the rocks and sleeping in your bed or whatever charter folks do. Your boat is just a business with some private benefits (if you can find the time).

Cabin charter (i.e. sharing the boat) is just plain work. You have to be somewhere in time to meet guests, your boat needs to be in good shape every single day as there is never a good time for breakdowns, guests want action and you can't just be lazy for a few days, you are no longer in control of your own boat or life (like the guest wants to have breakfast at 7:30).

After last summer's family visits (more time with guests onboard than without) I felt like I need some vacation. Next season will see very few visits.

I'd go small and go now on my own boat, instead of waiting or doing any kind business.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2017, 03:06   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot

I will echo Rabbi's opinion. I looked at buying new with the brokerage/charter business and it didn't make sense in the long term. At least for me. After 5 years you still have a very large mortgage on the boat. And you have a very used boat that may or may not be in good condition, but in any case, you are stuck with it. If you choose to purchase a 5 year old boat, you then can pick and choose which boat you purchase and will have at least the same cost or probably less than the boat you would have if you started out with your original idea.

The purchase of a 'boat as a business' makes sense if you are going to use her to the fullest possibility the first 5 years. Many people after 5 years sell their boat and then re-up for another 5 years with the same company with the 'boat as a business' plan.

Ultimately, you will choose what is best for your finances and intended use. I have a 2014 Lipari 41' and love her. Best of luck. I live in Annapolis and will attend the show in two weeks.
Seapatience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 02:20   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Helia 44

We bought our 2015 Helia through ACY but would recommend John Jacob of CYOA Yacht Charters in St. Thomas whether you plan to put the boat into charter or not. If you can afford to buy without putting your boat into charter then I would do that. If you're still working and want to defray signficant costs, including the immediate depreciation of a new boat then I WOULD consider chartering with CYOA. John Jacob is known for taking meticulous care of the owners' boats in his fleet and the only legitimate complaints I've ever seen were from charterers applicants who were denied due to the lack of experience or of the length of the boat orientation process for new charterers.

A caveat. We've had our boat in charter for the past 3 years and have felt very satisfied with CYOA's management. Our boat was well maintained until Hurricane Irma's eye passed over her while she was tied down on the hard at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbour. She was flipped over and destroyed. Not sure I would ever consider staying 'in the box' during hurricane season again.
PapaLulu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men