Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 09:46   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Need 60 mm Sanitary Discharge Hose

After 10 years, the 60 mm ID hose from our holding tanks to hull discharge valves needs to be replaced. I am having great difficulty finding a source for such hose. Yesterday, expecting to find such hose on a French island, we checked every chandlery on Martinique without success. Does anyone know where I can get such hose?

I have read elsewhere on this forum that plumbing PVC pipe in place of hose is not a good idea because of hull flexing.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 12:46   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Need 60 mm Sanitary Discharge Hose

60 mm is about 2-3/8". Standard sanitation hose on US recreational boats is 1-1/2". Can you find/make an adapter so you can use 1-1/2". It will also be easier to bend and route.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 13:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

60 millimeters converts to 2.36 inches.

Try this adapter, it steps down from 60mm to 38mm which equals 1 1/2 inches which is standard for US sized sanitation hose.
Plastic hose adapter, Ø 30 - 60 mm - Accessories - Waste water systems

You don't want to use PVC pipe for your sanitation system. It can become brittle and crack and odor can permeate it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 13:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I've heard from several the PVC was the way to go, it never permeates when used in houses, and if not in sunlight, lasts I don't know how long actually, but quite a long time. House I live in a lot of the PVC plumbing is form the early 70's and it's still good.
Now if you hull flexes more than PVC can, I'd be afraid, very afraid
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 13:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The problem with PVC is that it is not very strong and can be brittle. It is possible to break it while climbing around in the bilge areas. Hose is not brittle and can be stepped on and pressed against with much less worry about popping it loose and sinking the boat or dumping pee and poop all over the bilge.

Yeah its cheap, but is it worth the additional risk in order to save money? I don't think so but many disagree.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 13:28   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's not a money thing, I was under the impression that you did PVC once, yes it's a PIA to do, but once done, it lasted forever. I know in my boat, there is no worry about stepping on any of the hose, seems most of it runs against the hull above and away from the bilges. it's the inaccessibility that stops me from trying PVC. I'm not looking forward to replacing the hose either, looks to be a difficult job, but needs doing, pretty sure my hose is original, from 1987. Looks like black steam hose, stiff and thick.
Old 25-04-2014, 13:30   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Schedule 40 1.5" PVC is strong, bet you could use if for a baseball bat, it's that strong
Old 25-04-2014, 13:31   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wonder what Peggies opinion of PVC is?
Old 25-04-2014, 13:34   #9

if you have straight runs PVC is definitely the way to go. No question
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 16:15   #10

Boat: TBA

i have used pvc but high pressure and one that is used for heat (this gives a much thicker wall ) it is strong and in a position it can vibrate or flex you either make a loop or use a short flexible pipe to connect, it seems ok after 6 years it comes with many of the bends and fittings you will need, look at hot tub or swimming pool trade suppliers and make up your own mind.(these products are also used in RV's etc)
aclmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 16:44   #11

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Maybe this will help you with hose or PVC pipe.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post585670
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 08:40   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman

Thanks for all the inputs so far. Since this discussion has drifted towards PVC vs. hose, discussed at length in a multitude of other threads, I'll try to steer it back to the primary issue: availability of 60 mm ID hose.

We have considered PVC but have not been able to find that size pipe here in Martinique. Having read most of the other discussions on CF about PVC vs. hose (one of which Cotemar referenced, thank you), I conclude that there are many boats out there successfully flushing waste through pipes in spite of the warnings about flexing. Many of those discussions recommend at least a short piece of hose to allow for movement, which brings us back to our original problem of finding hose.

Our holding tanks are wedge shaped, hold about 8 gallons each, and are mounted to the bulkheads above the toilets for gravity drainage. The starboard tank has about 1 foot of hose connecting the tank drain fitting to PVC piping which then runs to the overboard hull valve. Existing misalignment between the drain fitting and the piping makes PVC for that tank a very remote possibility and would require seriously modifying existing piping.

The port tank has about a 4 foot run from the tank drain directly to the dump valve through an S shape, which would require some imaginative fitting placements. That hose desperately needs to be replaced because the outer covering is bubbling and the end connected to the tank leaks waste onto the toilet cover, which annoys the wife.

Speculating here, but I believe that one reason for such large hose is to get rapid flow out of the tank for good drainage. Therefore introducing a restriction into that line in the form of a reducer as djmarchand and David M (one chandlery here showed us the Vetus reducer you linked to) suggested doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Still looking for hose.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 10:12   #13

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Dreaming Yachtsman,
Your over thinking this issue to much. All newer FP boats use 1.5 inch sanitation hose.
YOU DO NOT NEED 60 mm or 2.36 inch hose.
Buy reducers and install 1.5 inch hose like all the other 99.9999% of boats and you will be all good.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 11:20   #14

Boat: Dufour 35

Dreaming Yachtsman

60 mm ID is not that common. Nearest common size is 63mm = 2 1/2"

Standard hydraulic suction/return hoses, manufactured to SAE 100 R4 , are available in 60 ID, however.

See if you can find a shop that makes hydraulic hoses for heavy construction equipment, and ask them. They should be able to help you.
I can't tell ypu how long it will take before such a hose will start to smell.....but it's strong enough.

To see what I'm talking about search this file http://www.hydroscand.co.uk/MediaBin...eDownload=true

for a hose called 1438-00-39 .

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:41   #15

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I replaced mine:

http://www.sofomarin.com/catalogue.php

page 49 in their catalog

I wouldn't go to 1.5" unless it's the only thing I could find. Too many problems gravity draining with 1.5".
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote