Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 11:55   #1

Boat: FP Helia 44
Nav/Autopilot Packages Recommendations

Greetings FP Owners

Am a future owner of a Helia and researching boat options before I need to make the firm commitment. Have searched around the Navigation and Electronics for comparison between the Garmin and Raymarine packages and do not see anything very recent. I have seen through some of the bloggers negativity around the Garmin autopilot on big cats for stable course holding. Through my broker it doesn't appear that FP is offering Ray on their official price list but I think that I can outsource a Raymarine package if I so desire.

Before I make my commitment I would like to hear additional feedback from owners.
Thanks
Heliades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 17:41   #2

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Re: Nav/Autopilot Packages Recommendations

We had Raymarine fitted to our Lipari. It was done by Uchimata - Entretien et maintenance nautique They did a very nice neat install. The hydraulic ram they fitted is massive. We have been very happy with the package from Raymarine. Only thing I got wrong was I fitted one with a touch screen and one without. Touch screen is so much better and with the integration to iPad almost gives you another Display, you just cant do autopilot functions on the iPad.

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 01:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon

We decided on a Raymarine instrument/ autopilot package on our He'lia delivery in 2013. Uchimata, in La Rochelle (factory delivery),supplied and installed without any change in costs from the FP Garmin option. We have had no issues and very happy. The advice given at time of ordering was that the Garmin installation would have been fine on a power boat but for sail and boat over 40' not as efficient as Raymarine. Garmin I am sure have been spending more on R&D and feedback from the boating fraternity.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 17:44   #4

Boat: F.P. Mahe 36

I have had Raymarine and furuno autopilots and deem them both acceptable. That said, I have finished installation of my new B & G system and absolutely love the sailing features it has. With the newest line of Wi-Fi and touch screens, it makes charting a course extremely easy and also can do these things:
1.connect to your wind / ducer to offer corrected sailing laylines plus racing goodies like no other. see 'sailsteer' on the B & G website.
2. use chirp and 'forward scan' to see depths and objects in front of you... before you are on top of them.

in my book, a definite consideration !

Capt. Jeff Miskin
FP Mahe Cheshire
Pompano Beach, FL
tightlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 10:08   #5

Thanks tightlines - wow that B&G system looks nice.
Old 15-03-2017, 10:11   #6

Boat: islandpacket

Doesn't Raymarine do the same?
Old 15-03-2017, 11:45   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Helia 44 Owners,

You can get Garmin or Raymarine Electronic Navigation systems installed by FP at the factory for about the same price.

FP will contract the install out to Pochon or Uchimata.

FP used to install Furuno autopilots that worked very well. Not sure why they stop using them.

Both Garmin and Raymarine will be just as strong, as they both will use the same Lecomble & Schmitt hydraulic autopilot ram.

It's all in the details for a proper set up of an Auto Pilot (AP).
DO NOT let the AP decide what "pre-programed" sail boat settings to choose!
Dial it in yourself for both systems and the difference will be like night and day!!

A lot of cruisers like Garmin, because of the great user interface, which is very intuitive and simple to use without a manual.

Garmin uses Explorer charts which are the best for the Caribbean and works seamlessly with Garmin Blue Charts mobile on an iPad or iPhone and has Active Captain built in.

If you have had Raymarine electronics in the past then you would most likely stick with what you’re used to.

I typical Garmin or Raymarine Electronic Navigation package would look like the picture below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3-15-2017 1-36-04 PM.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	143200  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 14:49   #8

Thanks Cotemar

My broker doesn't show Ray on his pricelist which (I think) is directly passed from FP. He is inquiring back to FP on my options. Am recently aware of Uchimata and will be headed their direction for anchor upgrade and a few other bells and whistles.
Old 15-03-2017, 15:11   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncarstens View Post
Thanks Cotemar

My broker doesn't show Ray on his pricelist which (I think) is directly passed from FP. He is inquiring back to FP on my options. Am recently aware of Uchimata and will be headed their direction for anchor upgrade and a few other bells and whistles.
Just (PM) Private Message me if you need more details on anything FP.

Uchimata is a contractor that works out of the harbor where all the FP boats get splashed in La Rochelle France.

They Installed our water-maker and solar panels and did a great job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Uchimata.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	143216  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:12   #10

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

I have the Garmin package on my Lucia. I agree with Cotemar re taking ownership of the settings.
I am very unhappy with the Garmin and given the chance would swap it for a Furuno or Raymarine. If i had the spare cash i would ditch it anyway.
The main issue is with the autopilot.
If you want more detail drop me a pm. I have had similar feedback from some other owners too.

I was not aware that Raymarine was a factory option when we bought.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 19:56   #11

Boat: Lipari 41

We have a close friend who went through the lightning ting several years ago and went with all Garmin instruments....well his autopilot packed it in last year during the warranty period...after some back and forth, Garmin flew a tech in to the Bahamas from Florida to fix it...all well and good until this year when it went bad again and again they flew in the tech to fix it...we are in the market for a Lipari and should I need to replace an autopilot I will be looking hard at the one PYI Is carrying that was used in the recently completed Vendee Globe...no failures reported...impressive...
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2017, 21:17   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

If you are speccing from new...

Garmin in my estimation makes the easiest system to use, but has the worst autopilot. Their stearing algorythims are find for powerboats but they really arent designed for sailboats.

Raymarine is a bit better than Garmin, but has a more complicated interface.

B&G makes a real sailboat autopilot, and I would recommend them

NKE makes the best autopilots and the best instruments, but it comes with more complexity.

From zero I doubt that the price is massively different for the same instrument set up.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 13:35   #13

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Garmin's world HQ is just around the corner from me, and the chief engineer for the marine division is a customer of mine. Next time I see him I'll have to ask him what the story is.

I just ordered a new Helia, and spec'd the Garmin setup since they're my hometown guys, but I'll change that if I can't get good answers on the autopilot.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 13:42   #14

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

B&G. Designed for sailboats. And the choice of 80% of the Vendee globe fleet for a reason. Check out the video of Hugo Boss in the southern ocean - there is very little actual footage of boats there under AP. He's using the H5000 system - check out how straight the wake is, it's better than I could steer....
There have been a few issues with B&G software in the last couple of years, most of which I'm finding have now been sorted. :-)
Old 25-03-2019, 13:19   #15

Boat: FP Mahe 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines View Post
I have had Raymarine and furuno autopilots and deem them both acceptable. That said, I have finished installation of my new B & G system and absolutely love the sailing features it has. With the newest line of Wi-Fi and touch screens, it makes charting a course extremely easy and also can do these things:
1.connect to your wind / ducer to offer corrected sailing laylines plus racing goodies like no other. see 'sailsteer' on the B & G website.
2. use chirp and 'forward scan' to see depths and objects in front of you... before you are on top of them.

in my book, a definite consideration !

Capt. Jeff Miskin
FP Mahe Cheshire
Pompano Beach, FL
Do you think the NAC2 computer would work on the Mahe or would I need the NAC3?
Thanks for your opinion!
IrieCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, men