Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 21:25   #1
cruiser

More Bench Space

I have found an easy and unexpensive way to increase preparation space in the galley . The photos here attached will show how easy it was . The steps are :
1/ Purchase 2 x Lazy Susan from IKEA
2/ Purchase 8 x door stopers from your local hardware shop ( Bunnings for us down under)
3/ Measure the diametre of the sink and screw the door stops on the bottom of the Lazy Susan so that the rubbers just fit inside the sink . The door stops will allow a snug fit inside the sink and stop any movemenmt from your " new " bench top .
I have also modified the cover of the garbage bin to get more flat space .
The best thing is that you can still use the Lazy Susan on your cockpit table when needed .
Total cost under $ 40.00 and about half an hour of my time .
Simple really and very effective in keeping the " admiral" happy
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020_3092.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	34634   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0016_3088 (Copy).JPG
Views:	259
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	34635  

Name:	DSC_0017_3089 (Copy).JPG
Views:	217
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	34636   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0018_3090 (Copy).JPG
Views:	317
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	34637  

Name:	DSC_0019_3091 (Copy).JPG
Views:	243
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	34638   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022_3094 (Copy).JPG
Views:	247
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	34639  

Le Doume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 22:18   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: MORE BENCH SPACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Doume View Post
Simple really and very effective in keeping the " admiral" happy
Cheers
And that seems to be the point of it all. Do you know what boats would look like if only men were involved. Like a hunting lodge in Alaska. Very nice!
Old 13-12-2011, 08:01   #3
cruiser

Re: MORE BENCH SPACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
And that seems to be the point of it all. Do you know what boats would look like if only men were involved. Like a hunting lodge in Alaska. Very nice!
So what is wrong with a hunting lodge in alaska ?!
Old 13-12-2011, 11:24   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: More Bench Space

You didn't catch the "Very Nice " ???
Old 14-12-2011, 22:14   #5

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hi Jacques, have you been adding sides to your hard top?
It looks very nice!
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 22:43   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Hi Jacques, have you been adding sides to your hard top?
It looks very nice!
Hi DL,
Yes I have had some " Clears" made to match the " shades" I can actually alternate the panels to have a mix , they are connected to the hardtop . The clears are great as it makes the cockpit totally water proof.
See Pictures here attached .
cheers and merry xmas
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0026_3098 (Copy).JPG
Views:	239
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	34786   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0001_2658 (Copy).JPG
Views:	229
Size:	292.8 KB
ID:	34787  

Name:	DSC_0002_2659 (Copy).JPG
Views:	232
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	34788   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0003_2660 (Copy).JPG
Views:	207
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	34789  

Name:	DSC_0006_2663 (Copy).JPG
Views:	243
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	34790   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0007_2664 (Copy).JPG
Views:	236
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	34791  

Old 11-02-2012, 03:44   #7

Question Re: More Bench Space

Hi guys I have been considering the Lavezzi as a possible cruising cat but have been a little put off by the lack of food preparation area available and stumbled across this thread. I note that there are at least a couple of Aussies here who have chosen the Lavezzi and I was wondering if this perceived problem is a problem in reality. I like your idea Le Doume but is it enough, is it workable on a daily basis? Seems to me that most of the FP range seems to lack in the galley department for various reasons which is a shame.
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:15   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWayne View Post
Hi guys I have been considering the Lavezzi as a possible cruising cat but have been a little put off by the lack of food preparation area available and stumbled across this thread. I note that there are at least a couple of Aussies here who have chosen the Lavezzi and I was wondering if this perceived problem is a problem in reality. I like your idea Le Doume but is it enough, is it workable on a daily basis? Seems to me that most of the FP range seems to lack in the galley department for various reasons which is a shame.
Hi Aussie Wayne ,
If you are at Hope island , I am at Hollywell , not far , would be happy to meet ,show you and discuss this with you if it helps. I have found the food prep area more that adequate when cruising, if this is a major criteria for you , then you need to look at at Cat with galley down if you want more space . The Lavezzi is a great Cat value for money and sails really well , the galley up is great when at sea or at anchor as the " chef" is not isoalted from the rest of the crew. I have three friends who also own a Lavezzi each and the 4 of us are happy with what we have . There is always bigger and better of course , but at 40' the Lavezzi is a great cat .
Cheers
Old 12-02-2012, 17:21   #9

Le Doume thanks for the feedback it is valuable input from a current owner and user. Yes the Lavezzi is on my shortlist and probably a little closer to my budget than some of the others (Bahia, Belize, and Leopard 46 also considering the older Venizia and smaller Leopards) I have only just recently started to see if I could find some suitable galley down models but they are now not as plentiful as the more recently designed galley up.The galley down designs do seem to utilize available hull space quite well albeit generally at the expense of a head or two. My thoughts are that the galley up design is mostly to satisfy the charter/party boat requirements which it seems to do very well but at the expense of a larger more complete galley setup as found in galley down designs. The question is, is the galley down a better compromise for the liveaboard cruiser, I am not sure. This is where your comments and hopefully others is of great value so I thank you. I would like to take you up on your kind offer to meet with you and discuss the merits of the Lavezzi as I am now at the serious end of my search and am ready to buy the right boat, when I find her. I drive past Runaway Bay Marina very regularly so at a time that is suitable to you I could meet with you, just let me know.
Kindest regards
AussieWayne
AussieWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 22:24   #10
cruiser

Hi Aussiewayne,
Will be happy to show you our Lavezzi, Just flick me an email so we can get organised , I am ; firsttrax@iinet.net.au .
Give me a mobile number and we shall liaise with one another for a suitable time . I keep First Trax in my private berth just 400 m north of runaway bay marina .
Cheers
Old 18-09-2019, 13:14   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi

I like the wooden board solution over the sink to create more workspace in the kitchen. Will do the same tomorrow. Will leave one of the sinks open however. Comes in useful while cleaning food.

I have been traveling on my Lavezzi for five months now, it is a great ship but the kitchen is more a design feature than a usable work space. Shame really, and this for a French boat. I finally decided to put a big cutting board on the saloon table and work from there. Works well, but of course you have to clean up the kitchen before you can start dinner.
Boonzajer is offline   Reply With Quote