Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2017, 01:32   #61

Boat: Fountaine Pajot LUCIA 40 Maestro Hull n°101
Re: Lucia Owners

Yes should be VOLVO...
my cas it will be VOLVO 30 ( well that's written on the purchase order... )
different for US market ??? that is strange !!
Oliver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 14:43   #62

Boat: FP Lucia 40

It is detailed on our invoice..

Just found some OLD pricing information from Atlantic Cruising that shows the Yanmar's as an upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 5.39.02 PM.png
Views:	510
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	149319  
Terbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 03:05   #63

Boat: Fountaine Pajot LUCIA 40 Maestro Hull n°101

hi Guys,
i've just been advise by FP that MIGJORN our Lucia 40 will be hull n° 101...
Oliver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 08:57   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver66 View Post
hi Guys,
i've just been advise by FP that MIGJORN our Lucia 40 will be hull n° 101...
Congrats!

We pick up #97 in 2 weeks in La Rochelle.
Old 30-06-2017, 21:42   #65

A little bottom paint and she's ready to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B430652-0CCA-4A99-AED1-96786570D075.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	150988  
Old 16-08-2017, 23:29   #66

Boat: Fountaine Pajot - Lucia 40

Hi Folks

We're taking delivery of our Lucia in October right after the Southampton Boat show. Can't wait. One more winter working and then a gentle tour of the VAT free areas of the Med. I bought an ex demo watermaker to help me keep away from Marinas and am wondering what else I should be buying.

So what should be on my shopping list? Don't buys as well as plaudits would be good.

I'm tempted by an AB Laminna 9.5/10ft ft Dingy or a Zodiac Cadet with a Lehr 9.9 Outboard. Just thinking I might eliminate petrol from my inventory. Added benefit is that the admiral will be able to start the engine if I get the model with the onboard battery. What will the davits carry. Both in length and weight?

Anchor chain. I'm assuming 50 Mtrs of 10mm calibrated chain and a 25Kg SpRocMan anchor. Name obscured to prevent anchor wars :-). Is that too big? Has anyone got a high holding power 20Kg anchor and is finding it too small? I have a pair of female fort :-) anchors from my last boat. I plan to hang at least one of these on a bracket on the stern. I'd be interested if and how other's have achieved this.

Has anyone self installed a cockpit fridge or a second fridge/freezer in the galley? What did you get?

Solar panels. I decided not to go for a factory fit as the price seemed way over the top. Any recommendations for panel sizes to go in the recess behind the mainsail track? I suspect that 300 watts won't be enough. WHere did you mount additional panels?

Inverter? May well go for one and plumb in a single socket in the galley for gadgets. I thought about 800 - 1000 watts would be enough.

More batteries? Is the standard set enough or did you add more? If you did add another battery did you just add it into the domestic bank or separate it/them to give a second bank? Has anyone found a need to put in a dedicated battery for the anchor winch?

Folding/feathering props. I didn't hear a lot of good things about the factory offering and would prefer to retro fit feathering props as generally these seem to give better performance in astern drive than folding ones. Any recommendations? Rope cutters?

Radar? AIS? Worth every penny or clutter to avoid?

Is there anything else you've bought for the galley or anywhere else that you'd not want to do without?

So many questions, sorry. But with all that real experience out there I'd rather avoid expensive mistakes.

Cheers

Two.
Old 17-08-2017, 00:17   #67

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

Hi Two

Congratulations and welcome

I have put in my tuppence worth in CAPS, pun intended.
We are currently in the Gulf of Corinth into our 2nd summer cruising the Med.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by twohapence View Post
Hi Folks

We're taking delivery of our Lucia in October right after the Southampton Boat show. Can't wait. One more winter working and then a gentle tour of the VAT free areas of the Med. I bought an ex demo watermaker to help me keep away from Marinas and am wondering what else I should be buying.
WATERMAKER IS ESSENTIAL IN MY VIEW. WE NEVER FILL UP WITH SHORE WATER. MUCH NICE WATER APART FROM THE CONVENIENCE.

So what should be on my shopping list? Don't buys as well as plaudits would be good.

I'm tempted by an AB Laminna 9.5/10ft ft Dingy or a Zodiac Cadet with a Lehr 9.9 Outboard. Just thinking I might eliminate petrol from my inventory. Added benefit is that the admiral will be able to start the engine if I get the model with the onboard battery. What will the davits carry. Both in length and weight?
9.5 OR 10 FT WILL FIT OK. THE SPEC SAYS 100KG EACH FOR THE DAVITS, STATIC LOAD. THE ISSUE IS THE EFFORT LIFTING IT. I HAVE A TOHATSU 15 ON MY DINGY AND WE HAVE TO USE THE GENNAKER WINCH ON THE ENGINE END. ALSO MAKE SURE THE ENGINE CONFIG DOES NOT INTERFERE WITH THE LIFTING STRAPS. THE TOHATSU 15 HAS A GEAR LEVER THAT GETS IN THE WAY AND I HAD TO BE VERY CREATIVE WITH THE STRAPS

Anchor chain. I'm assuming 50 Mtrs of 10mm calibrated chain and a 25Kg SpRocMan anchor. Name obscured to prevent anchor wars :-). Is that too big? Has anyone got a high holding power 20Kg anchor and is finding it too small? I have a pair of female fort :-) anchors from my last boat. I plan to hang at least one of these on a bracket on the stern. I'd be interested if and how other's have achieved this.

NOT ENOUGH CHAIN. I HAVE 60M AND I AM GOING TO GET MORE!

YOU WILL FIND SOME QUITE DEEP ANCHORAGES AND WHEN YOU HAVE A 40 KNOT MISTRAL COMING THROUGH YOU WANT LOTS OF SCOPE.
25KG ROCNA WORKS WELL. I WOULD PREFER A MANSON SUPREME BUT THERE IS NOT MUCH DIFF AND IT WAS HARD TO GET A MANSON IN FRANCE.
Has anyone self installed a cockpit fridge or a second fridge/freezer in the galley? What did you get?
WE JUST GOT THE FACTORY FREEZER OPTION. WORKS WELL

Solar panels. I decided not to go for a factory fit as the price seemed way over the top. Any recommendations for panel sizes to go in the recess behind the mainsail track? I suspect that 300 watts won't be enough. WHere did you mount additional panels?
FACTORY WAS EXPENSIVE. I FITTED 3 X 100W FLEXIBLE PANELS IN THE TRAY, THE HIGHER WATTAGES DID NOT FIT. I HAVE 300ah OF LITHIUM AND WE GET BY QUITE WELL WITH GOOD EXPOSURE BUT I WOULD LIKE MORE. LOCATING THEM WILL BE A CHALLENGE THOUGH.

Inverter? May well go for one and plumb in a single socket in the galley for gadgets. I thought about 800 - 1000 watts would be enough.

WE HAVE 2KVA. YOU NEED THAT IF YOU WANT TO USE ANY SERIOUS ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES. WE OPTED NOT TO FIT THE GAS OVEN AND USE A CONVECTION/GRILL/MICROWAVE INSTEAD. REDUCES GAS USAGE A LOT! SUN AND DIESEL = ELECTRICITY
FACTORY FIT GIVES YOU 240v SOCKETS IN MOST THE PLACES YOU NEED, I FITTED A FEW EXTRAS.

More batteries? Is the standard set enough or did you add more? If you did add another battery did you just add it into the domestic bank or separate it/them to give a second bank? Has anyone found a need to put in a dedicated battery for the anchor winch?
I FITTED LITHIUM BATTERIES AND 300AH IS ENOUGH. IF YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE A 2KVA INVERTER THEN YOU WILL NEED MORE THAN THE STANDARD 3 gel BATTERIES. NO NEED FOR A WINCH BATTERY IN MY VIEW. THE BOAT IS SET UP SO THAT YOU CAN ONLY OPERATE THE WINDLASS WHEN THE STARBOARD MOTOR IS RUNNING.

Folding/feathering props. I didn't hear a lot of good things about the factory offering and would prefer to retro fit feathering props as generally these seem to give better performance in astern drive than folding ones. Any recommendations? Rope cutters?
I HAVE FACTORY OPTION FOLDING PROPS. I WOULD PREFER FEATHERING AS I HAD ON MY OLD BOAT. WILL PROBABLY CONVERT AT SOME STAGE WHEN CASH FLOW IS GOOD.

AIS IS A MUST HAVE.

I WAS NOT GOING TO FIT RADAR, CHANGED MY MIND, FITTED IT AND NEVER USE IT. IN FOG PRONE AREAS IT IS PROBABLY WORTH WHILE BUT OTHERWISE NO.

Is there anything else you've bought for the galley or anywhere else that you'd not want to do without?
MOSQUITO NETS FOR ALL OPENINGS.

WE HAVE ALSO HAD MESH SUNSCREENS MADE THAT FIT INTO THE COCKPIT TENT ZIPS AND AS SOON AS THE WEATHER WARMED UP THEY WENT UP AN HAVE NOT COME DOWN. CUT THE HEAT FROM THE SUN, BREATHE AND YOU CAN SEE THROUGH THEM. YOU CAN ALSO TAIL THEM OUT TO THE GUARDRAIL SO YOU GET A FREE FLOW OF AIR UNDERNEATH WHILE STILL GETTING SHADE.
So many questions, sorry. But with all that real experience out there I'd rather avoid expensive mistakes.

Cheers

Two.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 00:28   #68

Boat: FP Lucia 40, Hull #22

One other comment.
Ask "them" to give you a spare Volvo MDI to carry with you. There is a long history of these failing and invariably at an inconvenient time, far from a Volvo agent.
We have had 3 failures on Reflexion and most of the people I know had had a couple as well. A known issue.
MKB53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 04:17   #69

Congratulations. We're on One Day More, hull #6.
A few comments.
We have a Highfield 3.1m dinghy which is great, but I wished we had a lighter outboard than the 15 HP mercury. The Davits handle it ok. We have an electric davit winch.
Happy with the factory 60 l / hr watermaker.
Happy with our 25 kg Rocna. The standard anchor is our back up but not used as yet.
We have factory fridges - 2 drawer is great and the cockpit fridge for drinks. The freezer works well. Our biggest storage issue is food pantry. We have converted 1 of the cupboards on the port side to a shelved pantry and this is fine.
We agree about the 2 Kva inverter
we have 3 factory solar plus 4 flexible panels on the cockpit roof. You can walk on these so it's not a problem. 400 Amp hrs battery which is fine as well for our use. Sailing all day in sunny weather, boat copes well, but if cloudy, we top up with an engine or 2 for a while at dusk. Don't have a generator.
We have microwave and gas. The gas oven is slow to heat but works well and for us, gas consumption is miserly.
Recently installed a battery monitor which also connects to an app on your phone so you can check battery status and use anywhere on the boat.
Folding props are fine, but care is needed when reversing, as they don't respond as fast.
AIS is a must. I think it should be a legal requirement for boats over a certain size. Radar was relatively cheap and although not used much, is great in the dark for night sailing. Not many fogs on the Great Barrier Reef!
We have our own sailmaker make a screecher instead of the factory gennaker sail. Was much cheaper. We went for the factory. prodder ( bowsprit) however.
Other: we have 40 in tv plus coffee maker, milk frother, washing machine, ice cube maker - all relying on the inventor.
We made fixed screens for all hull ext windows and rely on folding mesh for the Hatches. Made a fixed aluminium framed, black fly screen exactly the same size as the cockpit sliding window. It fits in the track when the window is open and is stored easily behind the sliding door when not in use.
We have all the cockpit and foredeck cushions. The foredeck ones are big and storage is a problem. I wouldn't get these again.

Hope this helps. Happy sailing.
One Day More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 05:56   #70

Boat: FP LUCIA 40, Hull #51

I'll do as others...my comments in capitals...Congrats on your purchase; we have hull 51.
Quote:
Hi Folks

DAVITS ARE RATED AT 250 LBS/114 KG EACH, THAT'S 500 LBS/228KG TOTAL. YOU SHOULD BE FINE. WE HAVE THE AB 10' DINGHY WITH ANCHOR LOCKER AND 15 HP YAMAHA ENGINE.

WE HAVE 61M/200' CHAIN...I'D RECOMMEND AT LEAST THAT IF YOU'RE CRUISING THE MED. THE ROCNA ANCHOR CHART WILL SHOW A 20KG AS WAY UNDERSIZED. 28 IS RIGHT ON, BUT WE OVERSIZED WITH A 33....FITS FINE AND STICKS "LIKE A GYMNAST".

WE INSTALLED 450W IN THE USA. (3 PANELS)

YES, WE DID, I THINK 1200 OR SO WATTS...I'LL LOOK IF YOU WANT...IT HELPS WITH MANY ITEMS.

WE HAVEN'T NEEDED EXTRA BATTERY, BUT KNOW A GUY THAT DID IT AND IS HAPPY. SINCE YOU USUALLY MOTOR INTO ANCHORAGE, YOU CAN USE COOL DOWN TIME ON MOTORS TO POWER ANCHOR WINDLASS.

STICK WITH THE FACTORY PROPS. IF YOU BOUGHT VOLVO ENGINES, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE NEW POST- RECALL PROP THAT WON'T SPIN OFF IN REVERSE. THIS IS A NEW RECALL.

DEFINITELY RADAR, IF YOU CAN SWING IT I WOULD DONTHE AIS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU WILL SAIL AT NIGHT. WHEN I DO OFFSHORE WORK, I AM THANKFUL FOR BOTH.

I BOUGHT FULL LENGTH HANDRAILS - IF YOU GO OFFSHORE, YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID WHEN THE WEATHER GETS BAD. MAKES IT EASY TO KEEP ONE HAND ON THE BOAT WHEN WALKING FORWARD. WE ADDED LIGHTS IN THE FORWARD STORAGE LOCKERS AND A FOOTSWITCH AT HELM TO CONTROL ELECTRIC WINCH. WE PUT SHELVES IN ALL THE CLOSETS AS WELL WHICH WE ARE VERY HAPPY WITH, AS WELL AS SHELVES IN TRASH BIN SPACE TO SIT TRASH CONTAINER ON AND HAVE CLEANER STORAGE UNDERNEATH. WE PUT USB OUTLETS ON EITHER SIDE ON THE BEDS TO KEEP ELECTRONICS OUT OF SALON/CAPTAINS DESK. WE PUT OUR ELECTRICAL PANEL ON CAPTAINS DESK AS WELL.

Cheers

Two.
Escape Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:16   #71

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDogsLLC View Post
IF YOU BOUGHT VOLVO ENGINES, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE NEW POST- RECALL PROP THAT WON'T SPIN OFF IN REVERSE. THIS IS A NEW RECALL..
Can you point me to a link or where to find this Prop RECALL?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 07:20   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Hey Cote - it's a recall on the Prop Cone Nut...sorry to misquote the part. I was informed of it by our charter operator, and then I advised them that since we had Yanmar Saildrives/Props, it didn't apply to us. But...as i am sure you know, if you go to this site and put your serial numbers in for your saildrives, I assume, it'll address this.

Recall Information | Volvo Penta

Regards,

Joe

P.S. Do you know how to edit previous posts?
Old 17-08-2017, 07:25   #73

Sorry - what I meant what I would do the AIS....I missed my typo there. Apologies.
Old 17-08-2017, 08:07   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
Working on it - emailed ACY and they are looking into it.
Old 17-08-2017, 11:49   #75

Quote:
We just went with the factory 2 drawer fridge and skipped the optional freezer and cockpit fridge. We don't freeze much and will be buying a Dometic Freezer/Cooler to keep either in the cockpit or a guest berth. We only need access to the freezer once or twice per day. We thought the large storage cabinet used by the factory freezer in the main saloon could be better used.

Quote:
We chose the factory installed Victron MultiPlus compact 2000 watt. We expect this to run the coffee maker and microwave oven when needed for short bursts.

Unrelated, but we will be installing an isolation transformer(not available as a factory option) when the boat arrives in the states.

Quote:
We will be adding a battery monitor. We omitted the extra battery at the factory due to cost and dreams of a lithium solution in the future. We may add 1 or 2 additional house batters in the near future based on our actual usage. TBD

Quote:
We optioned the Garmin Pack1 which included the Garmin VHF 300 AND Garmin AIS 600 transceiver. When we ordered the boat we did not realize the AIS600 was included, but were very happy to find it installed when we took delivery of the boat.

As to radar. We were able to work with FP and upgrade the factory spec'd radar to the Garmin Fantom 18 solid state. The lower power consumption, quick startup and short range target acquisition are amazing. We also added a Panoptix PS51 forward scan transducer in the starboard hull. We were only on the boat for couple weeks and have limited time with the sonar, but it does appear to work as advertised at slow speeds. Motoring around the marina we were able to see pilings, shallowing near the ramps and shore. We are hoping to put it to good use in the shallow waters of South Florida and the Bahamas.