Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-12-2017, 06:16   #1

Lucia consumer current consumption

To plan my energy concept I would like to setup a spreadsheet with the current consumption of the standard consumers. Do you (other owners) have data ? Fridge, Autopilot, Navlights, Cabin Lights,Windlass,Winch, waterpunps etc.
I'm happy to share final spreadsheet and results. We could also also do it in togeather with google docs if more people are interessted.

Good free book of one of the victron energy guys regarding that whole energy topic:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...limited-EN.pdf

Old 17-12-2017, 18:29   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot
Re: Lucia consumer current consumption

Mark... I am a 2014 Lipari (precursor to the Lucia) owner and would like to participate in your energy analysis. I definitely need to learn more. BTW.. that was a great reference from Victron that I haven't seen. I have all victron energy equipment. Let me know where and when you would like to start.

Old 24-12-2017, 15:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

This is not for a Lucia but I think a quite good overview of the power consumption of a 40ft caramaran. This is NOT FROM ME and I can't give the credit because I lost the origin... but I can share...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	xcurrent.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9WywxZ62y6.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	160964  
Old 28-12-2017, 18:47   #4

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

That sheet looks a bit outdated and simplistic to me.
The windlass may be rated 150A but that is only for the moment when its breaking loose the anchor. Real world consumption is more like 15A when taking up the chain, and less when letting out more chain.
Lights are all halogen bulbs, not LEDs.
Autopilot eating 4A seems a bit high unless bad sail trim or heavy weather.
Etc, etc.

A night at anchor uses around 30Ah on our boat (fridge, many hours of LED lights, charging a ton of USB powered gadgets, small inverter for trickle charging the toothbrush, LED anchor light). No TV, no PC, but an army of tablets and phones.

That consumption figure is from dusk till dawn in the Med, as soon as sun gets up solar panels kick in and recharge the batteries. We have 560Wp with 2 MPPT controllers, and that is plenty for our needs. Our batteries are usually full before noon so I never cared about the details of our consumption.
Old 28-12-2017, 19:52   #5

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

The numbers that you are looking for really have nothing to do with the exact model boat. Any cruising boat will have the same parameters. Windlass draw isn't even part of the equation because you will have your motor running. The efficiency of your components is what matters. Refrigeration will be the biggest draw. It is nice to have ample reserve power when sailing at night because the autopilot will suck it down. If you keep all of your lighting LED and have well insulated refrigeration then you might get by with 100 A/H a day but more likely around 200 after you charge your devices and maybe use your inverter a little for something. It is always nice to have extra power reserve but not necessary. I am getting by now on a 400 A/H lead acid bank which gives me 200 usable amp hours (because you want to avoid discharging these over 50%. But most boats probably carry double that (the equivalence of 8 T105's). As for charging, you can't have to much, there is always a way to use extra power.

Tags
consumption, current

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: