Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2016, 15:17   #16

Re: Lucia 40

Thank you Rabbi for taking the time to write this. I, for one, appreciate it.
Old 01-02-2016, 16:19   #17
DtM

Good to have a real report rather than the usual dealer BS
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 16:50   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thanks a lot Rabbi. Good to know and surprising to see so many sold off the plan at a fairly uncompetitive price. Perhaps it's would be Helia customers that have assumed it will be a scaled down Helia at a cheaper price, but the scaling down doesn't seem to be on size alone. Really the soft furnishings look straight out of the budget furniture catalogue. Do the cockpit cushions and foredeck cushions look that bad in the flesh or is it just the photos? Selling cushions at twice the price with half the quality and workmanship doesn't sound like a good way to win customers. I really wanted to like the FP 40. The layout seems pretty good and some features such as the separate head and what seems like adequate storage seemed like a good idea but it sounds like it should be priced similarly to the Lagoon 39. Perhaps it's sailing performance will outweigh some of those negative aspects..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:07   #19

The Lucia 40 will be a nice "little" boat. There are 4 different plans with #2 being a workable one.

This boat is to small to have a four cabin layout. 8 people would be like cruising in a sardine can.

The guest heads have the shower in the middle of the toilet and sink. Pull a curtain around you and try to take a shower as the curtain sticks to you. Yuck. Had that on my 30 foot sailboat and HATED it slightly less than my wife. Sold that boat the first year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lucia 40 plans.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	118174  
ZipTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:33   #20

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
I have been at the Düsseldorf boat show and had a look at the Lucia....

The Lucia looks a big short and stumpy but nice lines overall.
...clearly FP is following the trend of squeezing too much volume into a boat. Compromises are going more and more towards creature comfort, leaving sailing and safety behind. I guess its easier to sell comfort than other qualities.
Saw it also at Dusseldorf boat show and I agree with the comments above. The Lagoon 42 looked better and the Nautitech 40 even better. Pity that the nicer cats were there only in small scale models.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:36   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I just took some time to go through the price list in detail and had to shake my head more than once.

I completely understand that building a boat is expensive. Its not a massproduct like a car and doesn't compare. I know.

But ... 8000 Euro for a few cushions? They are really asking 8000 Euro incl VAT for a full set of cushions (cockpit and sun lounge). I can buy a small car for that money...
@monte: The cushions are just that. soft cushions of simple quality. They feel like a sponge inside, I doubt they will last more than a year in a salty environment.

2000 Euro for a simple plank and two legs (read: salon table)?
3000 Euro for 2 or 3 sqm of selfadhesive film?
1630 Euro for a barbecue?
3300 Euro for 2 (!) underwater spots? (OK, anyone who orders these deserves the price tag!)

The cheapest Lucia with nothing but minimal electronics, antifoul and launch will be ~350000 incl VAT, and just a few options will push that to 380000 Euro. The maximum one can spend on a Lucia is around 550000 Euro including VAT.

This is no a big boat, this is just an inflated but short 38.5ft cat, and the entry level cat for FP

Don't get me wrong, its a nice and stylish boat but FP don't do the multihull community a favour by raising the bar that much.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 17:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Saw it also at Dusseldorf boat show and I agree with the comments above. The Lagoon 42 looked better and the Nautitech 40 even better. Pity that the nicer cats were there only in small scale models.
I disagree with the Nautitec. It has a tiny salon area to give a large cockpit. Good idea, but the cockpit layout is too simplistic and doesn't make any use of that space.
So it sacrifices something to achieve nothing.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:25   #23

Quote:
The cheapest Lucia with nothing but minimal electronics, antifoul and launch will be ~350000 incl VAT, and just a few options will push that to 380000 Euro. The maximum one can spend on a Lucia is around 550000 Euro including VAT.

This is no a big boat, this is just an inflated but short 38.5ft cat, and the entry level cat for FP

Don't get me wrong, its a nice and stylish boat but FP don't do the multihull community a favour by raising the bar that much.
I did not asked the price of the Lucia since I liked more the Nautitech 40 but the prices are very similar or maybe not because I did not look at the options you are talking about. A full options Nautitech 40 (except the really idiot ones) will go for a bit less than 400 000 euros.
Old 01-02-2016, 18:27   #24

Quote:
I disagree with the Nautitec. It has a tiny salon area to give a large cockpit. Good idea, but the cockpit layout is too simplistic and doesn't make any use of that space.
So it sacrifices something to achieve nothing.
Ok, we agree in disagreeing. Me and my wife loved the layout and the use of space but what I really looked about the Nautitech was the small wet area of the hulls (that are less beamier near waterline), the rigging, the steering position and the very smart design that manages to hide the big lateral area of the hull/cabin.

It looks a lot less stumpy than the Lucia.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:28   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Ok, we agree in disagreeing. Me and my wife loved the layout and the use of space but what I really looked about the Nautitech was the small wet area of the hulls (that are less beamier near waterline), the rigging, the steering position and the very smart design that manages to hide the big lateral area of the hull/cabin.

It looks a lot less stumpy than the Lucia.
No, not really. I guess in most areas we agree to agree

The Open 40 has much sleeker lines, the hull interior makes good use of the relatively small volume, the salon is OK as they focus on the cockpit for the tropics, the build quality felt better.
Performance should be great for a relatively cheap production cruising cat

Its just that they dedicate so much space to the cockpit and then just leave it empty. It seems they had no idea what to do with all the space so they just place a table on one side and called it a day.

A smarter cockpit layout would change the boat completely in my view.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:14   #26

Quote:
No, not really. I guess in most areas we agree to agree

The Open 40 has much sleeker lines, the hull interior makes good use of the relatively small volume, the salon is OK as they focus on the cockpit for the tropics, the build quality felt better.
Performance should be great for a relatively cheap production cruising cat

Its just that they dedicate so much space to the cockpit and then just leave it empty. It seems they had no idea what to do with all the space so they just place a table on one side and called it a day.

A smarter cockpit layout would change the boat completely in my view.
Glad we agree on most things but let me tell you that we could disagree and that would not make me or you being right about anything. Boats like any other thing are designed to fulfill an objective and in this case it is sailing and living aboard and regarding those two objectives the compromises and options are many, all the right ones...but to different cruisers.

I guess we agree that the Nautitech is designed having a less compromised sailing (as an objective) so let's leave it out of the discussion and let's see the living differences.

I believe that both boats are well but with different living space priorities: The Lucia offers a more apartment like interior, more open and spacious, centralized on a big settee with the galley in front. That is the strong point, kind of a big sofa with a small cocktail table in front. The open ventilation on the frontal panels is a great idea, providing they are really watertight.

The cockpit space is smaller and centralized around the only meal's table.
The chart table has a bad settee, diagonal and without back support. The boat does not offer a true meal's interior table, for when the weather is nasty.

The Nautitech has a much bigger cockpit and points more to living outside, it has not only a meal's table outside as it has two long lateral settees and one on the back leaving a good passage space. The main difference between the two cockpits, besides space, is that you can lay down on those long lateral settees and use them as a perfect coach. That may not have any importance to you but would rate high for me or my wife that like to be outside and if possible laying down, even for reading.

Regarding the interior the Nautitech offers a smaller but more functional space in what regards sailing and not only. It has a table that can be used for meals when the weather is not nice and that serves also as a chart table and for sailing from there the boat (at night or when it is raining) is far more agreeable than the one on the Lucia: You are comfortably seated with back support and you could enjoy social company while taking care of the boat, without being with the back to everybody.

The galley also offers a better configuration in what regards to be used at sea, particularly in not so nice weather: it surrounds the one that is using it and doesn't allow big movements in any direction, giving easy support.

So, advantages and disadvantages in what regards the living space, that will fit better or worse each particular living program.

I have to make a note about the only thing I really I don't like, to the point of finding it ridiculous, on the Nautitech, the sun protection to the helmsman

Sure it is an option but it would be so simple to make it efficient and nicer, starting with a kind of motorcycle Plexiglas protection (for water projections and wind) and a structure that would allow different panels (or a rotating one) to be deployed at different angles providing shade...that is something that "thing" would not give, except when the sun is vertical.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:46   #27

Quote:
This 38.5 ft Lucia is 8000 Euro more than the 40ft Lagoon 400 in today's Euro price lists.
Most options are much more expensive in a Lucia than in a Lagoon 400
With almost the same options, the new Lagoon 42 is only 6% more expansive than the Lucia 40, whereas its base price is 11% higher than the Lucia 40!
The Lucia 40 options are unaffordable...

But it seems not to be a bad strategy for FP to have expansive options as around 70 boats are already sold!
Pat Nantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:10   #28

OK, we agree to disagree

The Lucia coffee tablet is a joke. There is a real table available as an option, so lets assume there is a full size table seating 5-6 inside, more with chairs.
There is also a small but dedicated nav table.

The galley is more open, and may well be dangerous in a mono. But on a cat its not. How often have you seen weather that requires bracing on a cat?

The Open 40 on the other hand has a very small table inside seating 4 (I guess). That table also serves as nav table, and nav instruments are right in front of this.
The galley is actually ok in my view, just different.

I like the Open40's focus on outdoor living. On the boat we rarely eat / lounge inside unless weather is really bad. So the overall idea makes sense for me.
Its just the unstructured space in the cockpit that I don't like. A bench left, one right , and a dinner table that while huge still doesn't fill the space... Looks like the design department ran out of time or budget.
I would appreciate a more structured approach for the cockpit, with dedicated areas for eating, lounging, reading, sun bathing, etc .

Anyway, thats just me and its a boat that I won't buy anyway. So enjoy !