Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2013, 14:07   #1

Looking for Bahia feedback

Sadly there are none nearby me. I live near Washington DC. But from my frequent scanning the various catamaran "for sale" websites, it seems as though these are some of the least expensive 46" I can get into. IE., they're the highest ratio of length/price.

I've read several discussions about the various manufacturers (eg., Leopard, FP, Lagoon, Outreamer, etc). So I have a sense of the various consensuses on different metrics (eg., interior space, speed, contemporary design, etc).

All that being said, I also get the impression from poking around that the Bahia was one of the better models produced by FP. They're an older design now, some stretching back more than 10 years. One is even advertised as being made of "old school heavy duty fiberglass" as such.

While I try to find a way to get aboard one, I thought I'd see if it's even worth the bother. Are they more solid than average? Osmosis?

How much space is there on a Bahia 46 as say compared to an Orana 44? Lipari 41? Lagoon 380?

It seems as though the newer designs have found ways to make things feel less cramped?

Old 13-06-2013, 07:52   #2

Boat: Fountaine, Bahia & 46'
My 2 cents...

I looked for years at catamarans as to the day of retirement and my house has closed. I've made an offer on Bahia because of boat for the dollar. Not my 1st choice as interior or layout, but 46' of Fountaine and the couple buying it from made it a Bahia deal.
Speed, deck space, free board and my concern of safety help to close the deal.
Agree that some smaller boats seem more roomy.
Bought with the idea .. This one will be ours for a number of years of safe, reliable, faster and fun cruising. Yes, changes to make it personal and john413 friendly and mrs too!

Old 13-06-2013, 08:43   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 410
Re: Looking for Bahia feedback

@Martin..Sent you a PM..

We delivered a Bahia 46 from Solomon Island to Annapolis and found it to be a great sailor. It had been struck by lightning and all the electrics were gone. We jump started the engines and used an ipad for nav up the Bay. It was blowing 10-15 that day and we were moving along averaging 7 knots and touching 8.5 at one point. This was according to the ipad and no real effort at exact sail trim. All the wiring was run in such a way as to be easy to get to and replace when repairing the lightning damage.
From my experience and feed back from the clients I have sold Bahia's to, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Bahia. Very safe easy to sail cat for a family...My 2 cents...
Old 13-06-2013, 09:01   #4

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinmartian View Post
Sadly there are none nearby me. I live near Washington DC. But from my frequent scanning the various catamaran "for sale" websites, it seems as though these are some of the least expensive 46" I can get into. IE., they're the highest ratio of length/price.

I've read several discussions about the various manufacturers (eg., Leopard, FP, Lagoon, Outreamer, etc). So I have a sense of the various consensuses on different metrics (eg., interior space, speed, contemporary design, etc).

All that being said, I also get the impression from poking around that the Bahia was one of the better models produced by FP. They're an older design now, some stretching back more than 10 years. One is even advertised as being made of "old school heavy duty fiberglass" as such.

While I try to find a way to get aboard one, I thought I'd see if it's even worth the bother. Are they more solid than average? Osmosis?

How much space is there on a Bahia 46 as say compared to an Orana 44? Lipari 41? Lagoon 380?

It seems as though the newer designs have found ways to make things feel less cramped?
Have you considered chartering before you buy? I happen to work part time for a company that has a Bahia, Orana and a Lipari for charter. :-).
Old 25-06-2013, 00:06   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 Maestro
Re: Looking for Bahia feedback

I have a Bahia - I do not have "cat envy" - what more can I say???

Seriously, we find it to be roomy and comfortable, mind you it is a maestro version. Easy to sail two handed with a beautiful motion on the ocean. No sign of osmosis but the odd bit of delamination felt on parts of the deck (but not a safety concern). We love it

Cheers
Lisa

Tags
bahia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: