Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 17:40   #1

Boat: Lagoon 400
Looking for advice on purchasing new

Looking at possibility of purchasing new Mahe 36. Got lots of questions

how long from order to completion

delivery to florida options

do I deal direct with manufacturing company

lots more questions looking for direction and opinions

thanks in advance
pondering65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 23:24   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2
Re: Looking for advice on purchasing new

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondering65 View Post
Looking at possibility of purchasing new Mahe 36. Got lots of questions

how long from order to completion

delivery to florida options

do I deal direct with manufacturing company

lots more questions looking for direction and opinions

thanks in advance
I woudl sugest to contact the distributor: Fountaine Pajot USA, Fountaine Pajot North America, Florida Yacht Group is Your Fountaine Pajot Authority

You will not directly deal with the manufacturer under normal circumstances. You wouldn't deal with the VW factory, would you?

Delivery options will be determined by asking the dealer. They should have pre-packaged options for that, but I guess most come on their own bottom. And you can always choose to pick up in France and deliver yourself.

I guess FP will not allow dealers from other regions to do business with you. But if you intend to keep the boat in another region (like the Mediterranean ) the dealer of that region is OK to deal with you. Just tell them you want to sail the Med for some time and only then to the US, so they have a story why the sell a 110V model in european waters.

Given the Euro / USD valuation I am sure you can get the best deals at European vendors.
If you have the time to deliver yourself, go for it.

Also ask for stock boats, the dealers can access FPs inventory of cancelled contracts. Maybe you can make a deal there, too.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 21:45   #3

Boat: Hanse 348

mahe 36 is now discontinued. no notice. ask me how i know. just spent the last 4 months looking and configuring, thinking about partial charter, about a week away from pulling the trigger, my dealer calls and says, no more orders.

unbelieveable that they would do this with no notice.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 22:14   #4
DtM

What is the replacement? It was/is a very successful entry boat.

Someone will have the inside gossip. Why not your dealer?
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 23:37   #5

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I would not be sad.

A replacement will likely improve the breed. There is no doubt the recent new FP's have hit the mark.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I would not be sad.

A replacement will likely improve the breed. There is no doubt the recent new FP's have hit the mark.
There are rumours that a new 40ft will replace both the 41 Lipari and 36 Mahe.

Unless they have made some huge productivity improvements in the build process the pricing will likely be aligned with the competition (e.g. Lagoon 39 is 244k EUR).
The Lagoon 380 is already quite old and possibly near the end of production. Leopard's fleet is starting at 40ft. Broadblue is still around with the 345 and 385 but it seems the days of entry level cats are about to go away.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:06   #7

In USD (which might be high, I was going to purchase my mahe36 in Euro even though I live in the US because FP hadn't changed USD pricing to match the stronger $, it was 15% cheaper to buy in Euro) the new 40 is

List of 315. Oceanic package adds 40. Delivery was 35. Add in some other stuff and you are looking at 400 and maybe a discount of something.

Bottom line, I don't think you will see a 40 for under 375. I had mahe similarly equiped for under 300.

Going to look at lagoon. They are still keeping the 380 even though they brought in the 39.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:19   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The lagoon 380 is nearing hull number 1000. I've heard from a reliable source they want to reach the 1000 then possibly retire the 380, however they are still selling a lot every year so it remains to be seen. Personally I think the L380, 39 and 400 are all pretty good value for money, at around €230, €250 and €280 ex factory,ex tax, with decent specifications. It sounds like the new FP will be similar in size and price to the L400 so would be worthwhile looking at.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 13:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
It sounds like the new FP will be similar in size and price to the L400 so would be worthwhile looking at.
FWIW: Based on yeloya's info the new FP is more like the Lagoon 39 (1cm longer and 4k Euro more).

The Mahe and the Lagoon 380 are the smallest cats where the 'de facto standard layout' of most production cats works: double cabins in the hull, decent head, salon and galley at bridgedeck level, standing headroom throughout without compromising bridgedeck clearance

I agree the new 40ft FP would be a nice upgrade but if its similar to a Lagoon 39 we are talking about a completely different boat category. According to the other thread the weight of the new FP is 8900kg. Way less than a Lagoon 39 @11670kg but still 80% more than a Mahe @5000kg.

Of course everything is more comfy on a modern 40ft cat: more elbow room everywhere, maybe three more heads to keep clean, better ride and more carrying capacity for longer trips. But this comes at a significant price tag. Not only on initial investment but its also much more boat to clean and maintain. Which means less money for drinks and less time for the sunsets that we came here for

EDIT: I hope the new FP has a better SAD ratio than the Lagoon 39. Even our little Mahe carries more sail than a Lagoon 39.
Old 12-05-2015, 13:48   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yeloya suggested the sail away from La Rochelle price as around €316,000. That would suggest a bit more expensive than then L400, or maybe similar, I haven't checked prices recently.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 00:36   #11

The base price yeloya mentioned is 248k Euro for the new FP, and the latest price I found for the Lagoon 39 is 244k Euro.

Your figures for the Lagoon 39 are a bit off. You may get away with a 380 for 230k but I don't think you can buy a new 39 for 250k. The Lagoon 39 is 244k base price, plus 9k for rigging and launching, plus around 30k for what I consider compulsory extras (basic electronics, davits, deck light, etc). That does not include any nice options, even the swim laddder or holding tanks are extra. So something like 290k ex Les Sables dOlonne sounds more reasonable (minus a few % discount).

I have no figures for the 400. I almost bought one last year but that was second hand (and the broker messed it up so another buyer & broker were able to jump in ).
Old 13-05-2015, 13:44   #12

could anyone tell me what a base 380 and comfort package goes for in euro? it is roughly 292 and 26 in $, and what was attractive to me for the FP was that even though I am in the states, I was allowed to purchase in Euro. Strong $ made this a good deal.

Do you know if I can do this with Lagoon, or can I purchase in France and send back and pay duties?
Old 20-05-2015, 20:27   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

Hello!

Was really into this thread...whahappnd'?
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 09:36   #14

FP has discontinued the Mahe 36 for certain. There is a dealer meeting next week, I am assuming this is a topic, my dealer will let me know in 2 weeks...
Old 21-05-2015, 11:39   #15

See the other thread for pictures and some pricing

Tags
purchasing