Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2014, 19:40   #1

Boat: Fountaine Lipari 41 Evolution
Lipari jack lines

Can anyone share photos of how they ran their jack lines on a Lipari particularly where they attached them. I'm probably leaning towards webbing but dyneema also sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

https://www.facebook.com/SvTwoflower
Dod42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2014, 10:49   #2

Boat: FP Orana 44
Re: Lipari jack lines

Hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking a general jack lines catamaran question.

I'm relatively new to cruising. On my maiden off shore leg with my Orana, I got some reasonably rough weather on the southern Adriatic with my two kids. Had to put a third reef in the middle of the night, no jack lines rigged.

What I did was to hook the safety cord onto the mainsheet as it goes on top of the cabin top to get to the mast. This actually felt like a good place to have a jack line.

Normally on monohulls the jacklines runs along the gunnels (?not sure its the right English word). If you get hit by a wave, you can get washed overboard and hang in the cord beside the boat attached to the jack line. Not ideal.

On a catamaran, wouldn't the best way to run the safety cord on the cabin top, from the steering station to the mast. And a second one from the mast to the forestay. Maybe one more on the other side of the cabin top. Benefit is that you get hit by a wave and lose your balance, you will not get washed overboard. I also cannot figure out why you would want to go anywhere else on the boat, but I'm new to this.

Opinions.

Cheers
Sail IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 12:31   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41
Re: Lipari jack lines

I had a pair of 50' web jacklines that we used. One went from the forestay, looped the base of the mast then ran down the starboard deck to the aft cleat. The second started at the mast, down the port deck to the aft cleat then across the stern.

Leaves you exposed on the coach roof and that's a big deal. Found that out the hard way when a "come up into the wind a little" became an accidental gybe in big wind & seas. Bimini caught me or it could have gotten ugly.

Please share if you come up with an improved configuration

Mark
mbuckely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lipari