Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2013, 03:47   #1

Boat: currently boatless
Lavezi 40

Hello all,
my wife and I looked at a Lavezzi 40 today and are interested in the boat. One of my major concerns is that the underside of the bridge deck showed quite a large amount of small blisters. Most are about 6mm in diameter. A number have broken and the smell of the fluid is very similar to vinegar which gives me the impression they are osmosis blisters. I went right over the rest of the hull but the blisters seem resident only to the underside of the bridge deck.
I have read of some osmosis in the earlier Lavezzzi's but this is a 2006 model and I was under the impression that this model was not involved in this issue. The boat needs some cosmetic work and has just had a major overhaul to the motors. My major concern is the osmosis as I believe any repair would be quite expensive and the fact that I am worrried that more blisters may appear in other areas. I would appreciate any feedback on on blisters on Lavezzi's and what cost may be involved to rectify the issue.

Regard
Greg and Sue
Lake Macquarie NSW Aust.
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 04:52   #2

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Re: Lavezi 40

Maybe this will help.
How To Repair Gelcoat Blisters
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How To Repair Gelcoat Blisters.pdf (225.4 KB, 98 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 04:45   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

You should tell us what year your boat is.

In any event, we bought our 2004 Lavezzi in 2007 and the factory did a peel and fix of the underwater hulls, keels and rudders. That fix has been perfect and remains completely blister free.

Subsequently (2012) we had some small blisters on the underside of the bridge deck. It seems to be about 3 or 4 every couple of years (of about 6 mm diameter as well). We simply grind them out and fix them with gelcoat. Our boat is now 9 years old and sitting full-time in tropical waters so that probably doesn't help things.

Is it a problem? Yes, but minor. And it is cosmetic, not structural. I like the boat and have decided that fixing a few blisters is in the grand scheme of things, not that bad.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 15:58   #4
DtM

Great common sense muskoka
DtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 16:14   #5

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
I was under the impression that Fountaines had a 10 year warranty on the hull. You might want to do a little research and see what restrictions are placed on the warranty before you move further along in the purchase process if you are concerned with the blisters.
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 17:38   #6

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

They only have a 5 year warranty which is very common. Some of the more expensive boats come with a 10 year warranty. Typically the warranty is not transferrable, but we had the original owner negotiate with FP to transfer the warranty. I think it involved a lot of yelling on his part!

The best development would be if the industry allowed the customer to upgrade the hull from polyester to vinylester resin.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 18:34   #7

You are correct. I was thinking of the 5 year warranty and then the additional 5 year warranty after a gel coat peel and repair.
Old 28-07-2013, 18:49   #8
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

We're not sure the actual cut-off date (if FP ever even admitted to such a thing?) after which the previously common osmosis problems with FP became rare, but we suspect 2006 just might be very close to that date, one way or the other! Another FP we know -- we're guessing its vintage right around 2006 -- also needed the complete "peel and fix" noted by muskoka. Sounds like some further (ideally independent!) enquiries are very appropriate.

Good luck in your search...and fair winds always!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 20:42   #9

Not to drift the thread too far but Lavezzis are not the only FP cats to have osmosis problems. I'm aware of some Mahes that have issues too.
Old 29-07-2013, 05:25   #10

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
many thanks for the responses so far . We received a quote today for the repair which appears quite reasonable. I am aware of the issues of some of the Mahes with Osmosis also under the bridgedeck. The boat corporate boat and used for day and occasional night sails with a full time skipper as part of a residential entertainment plan in Thailand. The interior is like new. The galley and saloon are like new as are the berths,
The exterior is showing signs of the tropical sun but a bit of TLC and polish we believe would bring the hull and topside up to a good standard
A new main is required and a new inflatable has just been purchased. As stated the Volvo 30HP motors have just undergone a major overhaul and will be warranted for a full year. Interesting days ahead.

Greg and Sue
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 14:47   #11
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
aware of the issues of some of the Mahes with Osmosis also under the bridgedeck.
As Rubikoop noted, the osmosis issues were not limited by vessel design. The vessel we knew with the issue was neither a Mahe nor a Lazezzi...a Belize, as we recall.

In any event we wish you all the best! What's (soon-to-be?) your vessel's name?
Old 02-08-2013, 15:34   #12

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre
Hi Guys,

Good luck with your purchase the Lavezzis are great boats.
The blisters are most certainly osmosis but they should not be fatal.
The osmosis isues started when FP went to the resin infusion molding process.
The Lavezzis were the first but by no means the last or the worst and I have heard reports of 2010 boats having the problem.
I wouldn't be suprised if they still have the problem.
Has your boat had a bottom peel?
This issue seem to only happen on boats that have been peeled.
Mine has and has just been up on the slip and there are no blisters in the repaired area after 3 years which is comforting.
The above water blisters on mine seem to have stabalised and very few of the blisters have any fluid.
My theory is that the above water line blisters are caused by water coming in below the waterline then wicking up the dry laminates in the hulls.
When bottom is repaired, if the laminates are not fully dried out the residual water which is trapped in the hulls keeps reacting with the styrine which in turn increases in pressure.
As the below water areas have been sealed and reenforced the pressurised water starts causing blisters in the weaker gel coat above the waterline.
As I say this in my theory, if someone has a more plausable explaination I would be very interested.
FP are very tight lipped about this and are offering no information on the subject.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 15:51   #13
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Hi Guys,

The Lavezzis were the first but by no means the last or the worst and I have heard reports of 2010 boats having the problem.
Mine has and has just been up on the slip and there are no blisters in the repaired area after 3 years which is comforting.
The above water blisters on mine seem to have stabalised and very few of the blisters have any fluid.
My theory is that the above water line blisters are caused by water coming in below the waterline then wicking up the dry laminates in the hulls.
When bottom is repaired, if the laminates are not fully dried out the residual water which is trapped in the hulls keeps reacting with the styrine which in turn increases in pressure.
As the below water areas have been sealed and reenforced the pressurised water starts causing blisters in the weaker gel coat above the waterline.
As I say this in my theory, if someone has a more plausable explaination I would be very interested.
FP are very tight lipped about this and are offering no information on the subject.
Great post DL.
Where R U cruising these days?
Old 02-08-2013, 16:08   #14

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Hi Guys,

Your theory sounds good, but is not true in some parts, Polypat Caribes boatyard, St Martin ...

3 Oranas with osmosis, 2 of them with lots of blisters above the waterline and in one under the bridgdeck to, both with bottoms peeled drying, the third one peeled to but no blisters above the waterline, there is one with a future full glass job to in the bottom due the crew take to much laminate due full laminate saturation. This boats never got a osmosis job in the past, first time, so i guess the blisters above waterline is not a indication of a previous job and presure related stuff.

2 Mahes peeled to , drying in the sun, and one Lavezi peeled to in the last corner of the boatyard, every FP arriving in this particular boatyard get a Blast !! Monday i have a meeting with a Catana to drop the mast , owners want the mast grounded for hurricane season, i can shout few questions to this guys about the osmosis problem and why even new models coming from the factory suffer from osmosis....

My theory?? FP use and still using a inferior resin in the lay up, we see this before with Valiants, Uniflite and the fire retardant stuff if i remember well.. In some french forums posters with this problem say the problem is related to the Gelcoat thicknes and quality,very porous and thin, and others say is due to infusion problems ...The question is why?? because Lagoons and other brands dont have the osmosis problem....
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 18:57   #15

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

OK thanks guys, I appreciate the input, especially about the one that hadn't been peeled.
I am pretty certain that a lack of saturation of the glass fiber is involved.
It's an almost certainty that they have tried different resins and still the problem persists.
There are rumors of a law by FP against the resin supplier.
No doubt if FP are successful they will have a confidentiality clause in the settlement.

Personally I think FP are finished, their reputation is in tatters and anyone who buys a new one is most unfortunate as it is only matter of time before they go under.

Outrageous you say, look at their latest marketing press release about how they are going to expand to bigger and better things.

Yes exactly my point, interestingly there is only one FP at the Sydney boat show this year.

Watch this space guys.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote