Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2007, 10:07   #1

Boat: 45ft FP Casamance
Interior

Just a question for those who already have their Mashe 36's....is the galley as small as it looks in the pics? Looks like almost no counter space for chopping etc. This makes me think that maybe even though the boat itself is capable of offshore cruising, maybe the layout is more aimed at weekend/short cruises? If I buy a Mahe it will be for a minimum 3 year circumnavigation with wife and 2 toddlers....just want to make sure that the boat is suited to this purpose...anybody been on a long cruise yet on one of these?
Fishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2007, 11:33   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 41
Under 40'

The Mahe is a temptation for many due to it's easier entry level pricing relative to so many others on the market. Be careful about planning long term voyaging on an under 40' cat. It certainly can be done but you will find that living aboard and voyaging generally requires a minimum amount of stuff, stores, supplies, spares, liquids etc. This will often be a very high percentage of the overall displacement. Performance and often safety will be affected.

Folks have certainly done such things with far smaller boats (and countertops), just decide in advance whether you are really willing to make the necessary compromises, because you will make many throughout the process.

Chris White also is an advocate of offshore multihulls being at least 40 for better capsize resistance on ocean crossings. That probably opens up a whole 'nuther thread but I'll leave it at that.

If I had been limited to a similar budget, I too would probably make a Mahe 'work'. I'd have to keep reminding myself though when I had a frustrated spouse in the galley that that was the 'price' we chose to pay.

$00.02
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 13:34   #3

I'd say that at 36 feet galley down would work better. On a boat that size there's bound to be compromises, and the small galley is the result of trying to fit it along with a nav area, in the same fairly small space as the saloon.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:13   #4

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
I'm just taking delivery of a Broadblue 385 (cruising mainly on my own), also planning a circumnavigation. I've also made one previous 18 month extended cruise, so I have an idea what works for me, in terms of space. I looked at the Mahe 36 a year ago at the Southampton Boat Show and rejected it as being too small. I wold suggest a bigger boat would be more suitable. In my experience (somewhat limited I admit) I would budget on spending 25% of the value of a second-hand boat to equip it for a circumnavigation/independant cruise and around 30-33% on the price of a new one.
With a growing (literally) family I'd go for a bigger boat if the budget will stretch (even if it means a second hand boat). I'd personally be wary of buying a second-hand boat with all the 'bells and whistles' for a long cruise, machinery does wear out and technology does advance, so best might be a second hand boat with minimal 'long distance' equipment. In the end, evaluate the advice that you get, discuss it with your better half and go with what makes her happy. More cruises come to an abrupt halt because of domestic disharmony than any other reason, most of that disharmony springs from an uncomfortable boat.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:45   #5

Boat: Fountaine pajot, Belize 43
I have only lived 2 weeks on a Mahe during delivery sailing frm France to Norway but got a fairly good impression of the boat. We were 6 men onboard and I did a lot of the cooking. The galley is not large but quite functional. If you add a cutting board over the sink there would be reasonable workspace.

I would add a small hinged cutting board at the end of the benchtop towards the sliding door. I have also planned to make a similar set up on my Belize 43. This is something that would be useful when in harbour and cooking up a storm for several people. At sea the normal galley works fine in my opinion.

Also as mentioned a cat slightly larger would probably be better but also more expensive. You just have to be very consous about what you take on bord to keep the weight down to an acceptible level. Nothing is worse than a sluggish cat offshore. It becomes unconfortable when the waves build up and you get a lot of strain on the rig and hull.

Happy lead free sailin!
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 05:43   #6
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
I fella I know has a Mahe and when I looked at the boat was really surprised at the size of the galley. My Catalac 8M has 6' of kitchen counter space. The Mahe has almost none.

Then again, I don't think people buy a Mahe to live aboard, and probably do little actual cooking while aboard.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:34   #7

Boat: Mahe, 36' "Oceanview"
I'm the guy Rick knows with the Mahe. At first I thought the galley to be to small, but a cutting board over the 3 burner range and a hinged extenion out across the first sliding door helps allot. The extenion works great when entertaining. As a cruising couple, we find the boat very large compared to our old monohull, and are planning to take her to the Bahamas for a month or two this winter. For the price you can't bet this boat.
Scott730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 15:13   #8

Boat: Mahe 36
got any pictures of that counter extension?

Hi,
I just bought a Mahe and would love to see any pictures you might have of the counter extension you talked about.
thanks in advance,
Lori
lstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 15:51   #9

Boat: Mahe 36 -OPTIONS-
I picked up my mahe august 5 from La rochelle and sailed it for 5 weeks from there, thru Spain to Portimao Portugal, it was very comfortable all around. We didnt feel that the galley was small and we liked the idea of having it upstairs. .The only complaint that I would have is the non stop sqeaking sound.For a couple it is a very comfortable size.
Mark
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2008, 10:41   #10

settee bed set up?

Hi,
Can anyone show me what the set up on the convertible bed in the saloon looks like?
thanks,
Lori
Old 16-05-2008, 11:40   #11

Lori
All you do is pull the table off the 2 posts, then pull the posts from the base. FP supplied me with 2 mahogany posts that are 12.75" long and 2 3/16 " dia. you put these wooden posts in the metal base and place the table on top of the posts. place the cushion on the table top and you have it.

Scott
Old 16-05-2008, 16:30   #12

Scott,
Are the mahogany posts tapered at the ends like the metal posts? If not then one could use just about any material in their place. Of course you dont want to strip the ridges that are there for the regular posts.
thanks,
Lori
Old 17-05-2008, 11:58   #13

Lori
They are tappered just like to metal posts
Scott
Old 24-11-2008, 11:17   #14

Boat: Switch 51 #10
Hi all, no new posts in this forum. We have to keep this alive, so just a message from us.
I am busy mounting the Eberspacher 4 kW diesel hot air heater. Scary to drill holes in a new boat. The heating will be mounted in the crossbeam, under the mainsail sheet traveller. Air duct will travel to the kitchen right next to the diesel tank, hopefully (there is precious little room for the 93 mm hot air duct!). I am making 4 air inlets of 60 mm each: both aft cabins and 2 under the kitchen. Maybe in the future a 5th to the heads. It's not easy to get a 60 mm duct to the heads in an inconspicuous way.

Thermostat of the hot water boiler does not work well. Hot water turned into espresso machine, last friday evening. Red hot water tube, close to the boiler, melted / exploded. Lots of steam in engine room. Have to change the thermostat. Guarantee I think.

What I am thinking of: we (someone?) should make a website where all knowledge we have gathered on the mahe is collected. I am thinking how to do this. Use a wiki, or have an editor? Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jef
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 19:37   #15

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Bow Locker Dock Line Hook Upgrade

Mahe's,

Added a 2 inch wide tufboard boarder to both Bow Lockers for a Dock Line Hook upgrade. Cut the tufboard to size and bonded it in with DAP white silicon (holds like iron) and then screwed in four Dock Line Hooks and the project was complete. The hooks even fold out of the way when not in use.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7240365.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	9288   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7240369.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	9289  

Click image for larger version